MacBook Pro Thunderbolt 3 Speculation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

just wait until its ECC and soldered onto the motherboard

Xeons haven’t used ECC since before Nehalem. Get with the times, girl!

EDIT: Wait, it’s FB-DIMMS they haven’t used…

I saved almost 2,000 bucks by buying my own memory and CPU for my Mac Pro.

Darn right. I love the cylinder Mac Pro and the value it is for its money at launch, but the fact that you can’t do anything to it later is a serious turnoff.

• Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Quote:

Which will be only used for the Mac Pro, Apple will never put a Xeon into their iMac or MacBook Pro line, unless they come out with a completely new all-in-one specifically tailored for workstations use, which I highly doubt they will. Apple still hasn't updated it's Mac Pro and you guys think they'll add a Xeon to one of their other lines, slim to no chance. If you thought Apple overcharges for normal memory, just wait until it's ECC and soldered onto the motherboard so you can't purchase it your yourself. I saved almost 2,000 bucks by buying my own memory and CPU for my Mac Pro and I even got a 14 Core Xeon and Kingston memory,

You don't have to use ECC with all Xeons.

• Reply 23 of 27
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Which will be only used for the Mac Pro, Apple will never put a Xeon into their iMac or MacBook Pro line, unless they come out with a completely new all-in-one specifically tailored for workstations use, which I highly doubt they will. Apple still hasn't updated it's Mac Pro and you guys think they'll add a Xeon to one of their other lines, slim to no chance. If you thought Apple overcharges for normal memory, just wait until it's ECC and soldered onto the motherboard so you can't purchase it your yourself. I saved almost 2,000 bucks by buying my own memory and CPU for my Mac Pro and I even got a 14 Core Xeon and Kingston memory,

This chip isn't going to be used in a Mac Pro. Apple's not going to put a mobile chip in their flagship workstation.

They'd get laughed at by everybody, not just Windows users.

This mobile Xeon will almost certainly be put into a 15" (or maybe Wizard's 16") redesigned MacBook Pro.

It's obvious that Apple's been waiting on Skylake/TB3 to upgrade the Mac Pro.

I think a "Professional" media event will be announced by November.

• Reply 25 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    frank777 wrote: »
    Intel is now saying that the demand for the mobile Xeon is, in part, coming from "designers and content creators". The chips include TB3 and USB 3.1.
    That is hardly a big enough audience to sustain a product. Given that I still see many applications for such hardware outside of content creation.
    That's as close as you can practically come to saying "we're building this chip because Apple asked us to."
    Well I don't know about that. However Intel does have something like 30 different custom Xeon chips that it is making for various users. Could Apple have requested such a chip - possible but I'd suggest that the market is much wider than the Apple clique.

If it was Apple the question then becomes what hardware will it go into.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Here is Intels release: http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2015/08/bringing-intel-xeon-to-notebook-pcs/. There is always the possibility that they will debut technology at hot chips www.hotchips.org. The ISSCC is at the end of January 2016, this is another place to get your self up to date technology wise. Or Intel could have their own dog and pony show. It is hard to tell for certain but the fact that they sort of announced the chip kinda indicates something near rather than something far.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

This chip isn't going to be used in a Mac Pro. Apple's not going to put a mobile chip in their flagship workstation.
    They'd get laughed at by everybody, not just Windows users.

This mobile Xeon will almost certainly be put into a 15" (or maybe Wizard's 16") redesigned MacBook Pro.

It's obvious that Apple's been waiting on Skylake/TB3 to upgrade the Mac Pro.
    I think a "Professional" media event will be announced by November.

I never suggested they wold, I said the Mac Pro hasn't even been updated yet so what makes you think that they will use a Xeon in another product. Intel's mobile chips are fast enough, there is absolutely no need to go Xeon, mobile version or otherwise. Have you seen the performance numbers for the new i7-4930MX/4950HQ a mobile Xeon wouldn't be any faster, it might have more L3 Cache and ECC memory but a quad-core i7 could run anything a person throws at it. Apple would also have to use a workstation class GPU or what's the point. What I would like to see is 32Gb of Ram. When I run VirtualBox, I like to put my images into a Ram Disk. With 32Gb I could comfortably run both Windows 10 and Solaris at the same time, as I do on my Mac Pro.