First look: iOS 9's totally redesigned app switcher

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    boozerboozer Posts: 19member
    who cares?
  • Reply 22 of 42
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    tbehunintbehunin Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Yeah, kinda fenced here too. There's something strangely familiar about this switcher....

Mmm...okay.

I loved those fast contacts, but no biggy.

Beat me to it! This is exactly what I thought when I first saw it in the keynote. Microsoft called - they want their Vista Aero UI back. :)

• Reply 24 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    macvicta wrote: »
    You can barely see the apps without scrolling through them. After watching that clip and opening the switcher on my phone, I prefer the iOS 8 implementation. This looks like a step backwards.

until youve used both its hard to have a meaningful preference.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    razorpit wrote: »
    Agreed, and why kill the muscle memory by placing the Home screen on the right? I don't understand that.

because if youre on-hand-holding it with your left hand and scrolling the cards w/ your thumb, it's easier this way -- to repeatedly swipe your thumb outward, rather than repeatedly pull your thumb inward.
  • Reply 26 of 42

Reminds me of webOS, I'm digging it.  And glad everyone copied the only thing I loved about webOS.  

• Reply 27 of 42
    dklebedev wrote: »
    Exactly. Usually Apple implements stuff and you know it's here to stay. Or am I forgetting something?

not really. apple is known for killing its darlings. drives, ports, features, they come and go.

remember you used to be able to double-press the Home button to access the phone? remember you used to go to "Home Screen 0" to reach search? etc...
  • Reply 28 of 42
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm on the fence about this. I use both an iPhone and an iPad. The switcher works differently on each platform. I prefer the one on the iPad, as I can use four fingers to move back and forth between apps. I don't like the need to double click the home button to see the switcher on the phone though.

With the larger phones, using four fingers is very easy, but does nothing. I'd like to see the four finger move on both devices.

I'm also not sold on the overlapping screens, I don't see how that going to be better. You still need to swipe between them. And why move it from the bottom to the top? What does that accomplish? With the apps at the bottom, swiping an app away seems right when swiping up to an empty screen. But now, it seems as though we're going to be swiping into the the apps.

For the first time, I'm in the beta program for iOS. When it comes in July (I hope), I'll try it on my iPad Air 2. I'm pretty hyped about split screen, and some other features, and I'll see if I prefer this or not. My iPhone is too critical to test on, so I'll wait.

Good catch.   An awful lot of this is no more than a bunch of developers who are under the control of a designer.  Both love change for the sake of change ("Ohhh...lookit what I can make this do").  Perhaps someday Apple will put someone in charge of all this that understands User Interface....but I'm sure not holding my breath.  Truth:  I'm glad that Apple is doing well financially.  But I buy their products for productivity and, at least in my little world, productivity is directly derived from ease of use, commonality across platforms, and limiting change to stuff that actually means something more than an ego boost to the guy who said, "Ohhh...lookit.  I can make it do this."

• Reply 29 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    melgross wrote: »
    I'm also not sold on the overlapping screens, I don't see how that going to be better. You still need to swipe between them.

Isn't it faster to scroll through all the open panes? You'll be able to see more at once too. In the following video, scrolling through the open apps is quite slow but with the stack it looks like you can zip through them more quickly:

[VIDEO]

melgross wrote: »
    And why move it from the bottom to the top? What does that accomplish? With the apps at the bottom, swiping an app away seems right when swiping up to an empty screen. But now, it seems as though we're going to be swiping into the the apps.

The app icon has to get removed too so the new way would be swiping the icon away with the pane. Before, the window went away first and then the icon at the bottom shrunk down. The stack looks like it leaves a gap where the old one closed the gap after removal.

They probably could have left the icon at the bottom and just had it follow the pane or shrink down like before but I think it works ok at the top too. At the top, people would be less inclined to grab the icon row to swipe left/right and instead grab the panes.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    macvicta wrote: »
    You can barely see the apps without scrolling through them. After watching that clip and opening the switcher on my phone, I prefer the iOS 8 implementation. This looks like a step backwards.

I agree, I use the switcher to look at info I am typing in another app, sort of how split screen works I guess. this looks like that just got slower
  • Reply 31 of 42
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

I don't think I've ever pictured open apps living behind the Springboard, so that'll take some getting used to. My gut tells me it should be far left and underneath them all — but with Apple, I *assume* they've thought this through and the hierarchy is being represented the 'correct' way, and I was wrong. :)

I also realize sometimes they're just wrong about stuff (see iTunes), so maybe not.

• Reply 32 of 42
  • Reply 33 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Overall, iOS 9's new app switcher is a welcome change that seems much more in line with iOS's overall architecture than its immediate predecessor did.

It does?  Seems like an entirely pointless, unintuitive and reduced functionality change to me.  And as pointed out by others, it looks near exactly like Flip 3D from Windows Vista.

• Reply 34 of 42
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    I use the contacts on the app switcher a lot, and removing those is a step backwards in productivity for users that liked that shortcut. Not much, but it adds up. I hope they add those conveniences back in.

Changes like this tell me the designers are using the spaghetti technique of throwing things at a UI board of and seeing what sticks %u2014 which means they lack understanding of what %u201Cworks%u201D for users at a fundamental level. I suspected this when the first UI overhaul had so many bugs and started changing without justification other than %u201Cit%u2019s new.%u201D

So, looks like I might stop at iOS 8 and the 5s on my phone and maybe try iOS9 on my iPad since I use it in different paradigms that are not as time-efficient.

I could be wrong, & I hope I am, but the signs are getting stronger with OS X & iOS each release.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    I agree, I use the switcher to look at info I am typing in another app, sort of how split screen works I guess. this looks like that just got slower
    Great point. Wasn't even thinking about it. I do this ALL the time and now it's about to become a pain in the butt with iOS 9.
  • Reply 36 of 42
  • Reply 37 of 42
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDP View Post

Interesting. How are you able to customize the App Switcher to turn off recent contacts and only show favorites?

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> (Scroll down to Contacts section) -> Show In App Switcher

Note: Seriously, why are all of these 3 apps grouped together into one massive and confusing settings menu, while Notes, Reminders and Compass all have their own settings menus that are all basically pointless?

• Reply 38 of 42
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CreativeEye View Post

Weirdly - why does this not scroll from right to left?...

On any iDevice - you start at the first screen of apps, then then swipe from right to left to view the next page of apps and so on.

So in the app switcher, if you're starting point is the springboard screen or an active app, shouldn't everything else be in line with the same paradigm?...

Or are Apple saying that launched apps live to the left of the Springboard in 'reality'?...

It's only weird because it's different than what we're used to but the new right to left paradigm is the correct one.

In an app, all past pages are on the left as per the back menu button on the top left. You swipe from the left edge of the screen to right to go back or bring up older pages that come from the left as you swipe. In the new app switcher, all the past things are behind the Home screen to the left.

• Reply 39 of 42
    App switcher ?!?
    It's one of the most annoying thing so far with iOS 9. Let's say you use the iPad or the new iPad pro, what is the idea of having so much space on the screen, and then you actually only see the first three app that is running? What you really is interested in doing, is mostly to quickly switch to another app you are using am I right? or have I misunderstood something with the app switcher. Normally you have more than 5-8 apps open at a time, maybe even more that you wish to switch between. Then it's exstreamly annoying to swipe between all them this way it's done now.
    I'm so tired with all this swiping left, right, down, up... just because it's possible to make this feature.
    Why not use the developer-brains and do it in a more intuitive way. What is wrong with simple thumbnails overview?, And If the developers sticks to the swiping way to-do-it, they should instead make some tiles with up to 10-15 thumbnails of apps that is running, and with a symbol in the corner. (almost the same way when you wish to delete an app.) The symbol should ofcouse be another than a cross, so people don't think they will delete the app, but just will close it in the switcher menu. What I just want to say, is that now we have all this nice space on the screen to work with, please apple folks, show some more apps at a time in the switcher window.. epecially in a way so you just by a touch of a finger, quickly can switch to another app that you wish to work with. :-)

But first apple have to work out a sort of a security problem occurred in the ios9 (history buffer) concerning the app switcher.
    As it is now (ios9-ios9.0.2) the apps itches shows many interesting thing from the "past". If someone think they don't have that problem, go to app switcher and close all running apps. Then open app switcher again. Are the apps you've been using closed and gone?.... yes you say..okay then, try to turn the iPad totally off on the on/off button. Remember you now have to use the password for the iPad. When it's turned on again then go to app switcher (push home twice or swipe up with 4 fingers) volla'... many things now shows up in switcher picture-snapshot-history. Snapshots from browser history, bank accounts , private mails, and other things you have been using on the iPad shows up, free to be seen of anybody who use your iPad.
    It's a major bug and a security leak , and I wonder that no one have done anything about it yet?!?
    Maybe it's only me who see this as a treat, and have this problem?.
    It's very obvious that's is a buffer clearing out problem.
    The problem occurred after ios9 and the new, annoying app switcher, saw the light of day.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    App switcher ?!?
    It's one of the most annoying thing so far with iOS 9. Let's say you use the iPad or the new iPad pro, what is the idea of having so much space on the screen, and then you actually only see the first three app that is running? What you really is interested in doing, is mostly to quickly switch to another app you are using am I right? or have I misunderstood something with the app switcher. Normally you have more than 5-8 apps open at a time, maybe even more that you wish to switch between. Then it's exstreamly annoying to swipe between all them this way it's done now.
    I'm so tired with all this swiping left, right, down, up... just because it's possible to make this feature.
    Why not use the developer-brains and do it in a more intuitive way. What is wrong with simple thumbnails overview?, And If the developers sticks to the swiping way to-do-it, they should instead make some tiles with up to 10-15 thumbnails of apps that is running, and with a symbol in the corner. (almost the same way when you wish to delete an app.) The symbol should ofcouse be another than a cross, so people don't think they will delete the app, but just will close it in the switcher menu. What I just want to say, is that now we have all this nice space on the screen to work with, please apple folks, show some more apps at a time in the switcher window.. epecially in a way so you just by a touch of a finger, quickly can switch to another app that you wish to work with. :-)

But first apple have to work out a sort of a security problem occurred in the ios9 (history buffer) concerning the app switcher.
    As it is now (ios9-ios9.0.2) the apps itches shows many interesting thing from the "past". If someone think they don't have that problem, go to app switcher and close all running apps. Then open app switcher again. Are the apps you've been using closed and gone?.... yes you say..okay then, try to turn the iPad totally off on the on/off button. Remember you now have to use the password for the iPad. When it's turned on again then go to app switcher (push home twice or swipe up with 4 fingers) volla'... many things now shows up in switcher picture-snapshot-history. Snapshots from browser history, bank accounts , private mails, and other things you have been using on the iPad shows up, free to be seen of anybody who use your iPad.
    It's a major bug and a security leak , and I wonder that no one have done anything about it yet?!?
    Maybe it's only me who see this as a treat, and have this problem?.
    It's very obvious that's is a buffer clearing out problem.
    The problem occurred after ios9 and the new, annoying app switcher, saw the light of day.

I think you have a point there. Apps should have access to an API which blurs the content on app switching ( for banks etc)