Apple wins patent for Shanghai store glass cylinder entrance co-designed by Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Apple this week was awarded a design patent for the cylindrical entrance to its iconic Shanghai retail store --?a concept credited in part to late company co-founder Steve Jobs.

Shanghai 2

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Tuesday awarded U.S. Design Patent D732,188 S to Apple for a term of 14 years, as discovered by AppleInsider. It includes both Jobs and former Apple retail chief Ron Johnson among its creators.

Apple was also awarded a utility patent for the glass cylinder entryway by the USPTO back in 2013, but Jobs and Johnson were not listed among the creators in that filing.

Like the flagship Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York, the Shanghai cylinder is made almost entirely out of huge monolithic glass slabs, with only connecting joints fashioned out of metal. The Chinese build is more complex, however, as the specifications required the glass pieces required be curved to form arcs. These panels were then joined to create a circle and ultimately a cylinder.

Apple's flagship Shanghai store opened in 2010 as Apple began its push to expand in China. That effort, overseen by Chief Executive Tim Cook, has paid off handsomely for the company, which has seen significant growth in the booming Chinese market.

Like Apple's famous Fifth Avenue cube in Manhattan, the glass cylinder serves as a grand entrance to an underground Apple Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    "So Apple invented the cylinder now?" /s
  • Reply 2 of 9
    When the ends of the cylinder are connected, it becomes a donut ... the famous torus in topology.
  • Reply 3 of 9

I know it'll be out of style by Friday, but I've become a big fan of green glass. Especially the frosty kind.

Best.

• Reply 4 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I could see Superman wanting to use this for the front door to his Fortress of Solitude. It clearly fits with his styling motif. I can also see Samsung using this for anything at all because they lust after and covet everything Apple has that they don't. But other than those two, I really cannot imagine a big demand to copy this design for much of anything. But maybe I'm being a bit too "glass half empty" today.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I bet had the French not already built the Louvre Pyramid it we'd have an glass Apple pyramid by now. There is still a sphere though. :D
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I know it'll be out of style by Friday, but I've become a big fan of green glass. Especially the frosty kind.

Best.

Don't mention 'frosty glass', you are making my mouth water and it's a way off being time for a pint here yet! ;)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Don't mention 'frosty glass', you are making my mouth water and it's a way off being time for a pint here yet! image

Dammit! Now you have me thinking about a nice cold glass of beer! :)

My favorite beer is "Your's," and "Your's Lite!" (Sorry, old joke.)

I'm here in Arizona, 111 degrees today! :)

Best.

• Reply 8 of 9
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

I could see Superman wanting to use this for the front door to his Fortress of Solitude.

Well, he's just gonna have to wait... for 14 years.

• Reply 9 of 9
    kmanvankmanvan Posts: 10member
    Apparently there is nothing too unique and pointless enough that Apple won't try to patent it.