Nest unveils security camera, second-gen Protect smoke detector and updated app

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

"Lost my energy provider" - hmmmm? what does this mean?

Which wifi router are you using in your house? That might be the culprit, not necessarily the Nest alone.

https://nest.com/energy-partners/comed/  -- it no longer shows up on my Nest, but did when I registered this year.

Did a restart of the Nest as suggested by Nest support today, that may help, as they suggested.  802.11ac Time Capsule.  

• Reply 22 of 36
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 640member

I think that first shot in the article of the Nest would be a fantastic new advertising icon for Google.

"Google.... we are here to help you!"  

*nest camera focuses in on the viewer*  

• Reply 23 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    I still use the Nest which I bought pre Google. Yesterday Nest sent me an add for the new hardware and featured a large Scamsung phone and Android. From now on all their correspondence is auto deleted.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Comments on AI are hilarious. Nest was all awesome (being founded by an ex-Apple VP and all that....) until Google snapped them up. Now they're evil?

Why?

Is my thermostat suddenly spying on me? Laughable.

I still like think their products are great. Looking forward to installing a few Nest Protects. Would have been nice if Apple had bought them, but them's the breaks.....
  • Reply 25 of 36
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,130member
    And with Protect, now they'll know when I'm broiling meat in the oven!
  • Reply 26 of 36
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

You know people used to joke about Google putting a camera in your house with Nest.

But here it is, it even includes such helpful features as allowing you to open your cam to public viewing, and a privacy policy that does not forbid google from data collection.

like.. are they serious.

Wow, no thanks in that case,  not that I would have used it anyway being Google owned!!!   I don't need Google watching my house to supposedly Data Mine.  Not to mention it's a paid service.   If someone else wants one, have at it.

• Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Yah, that was my first thought, but I believe that using Apple devices in the promo video stems from Google promising to keep their nose out of Nest (i.e. keeping it a separately-managed entity), and also to swoon Apple users.

I think the video playback strategy is flawed. The video should be stored "on-device", not stored on Nest servers in the cloud. Far too much trust is being given to these companies.

Well if the Video is stored on the device, when you rob a house with one of these, just grab the camera and you're safe.  So off site DVR makes sense, but the price is out of this world.    Besides it's Google, they'll be Data Mining you LIVE.  Depending on where the camera is pointed and see's.   Then you wonder why you start getting Ads for a new Sofa, or a sale on Kids clothes.  That type of thing.  Out looking out your driveway and you start getting Ads for the all new Chevy whatever.  Maybe you're having a little fun outside the bedroom and you start getting trojan condom ads.  I just wouldn't put it past Google.

• Reply 28 of 36
    podlasekpodlasek Posts: 32member

Being Google, that means no HomeKit support

No HomeKit support, means it will be a bottom feeder like their other knock off devices.

• Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

A camera from Google, what could go wrong?

Aside from that. $100 for 10 days... any way I look at it, I'm seeing that 1 day of video at 1080p 30fps H.264 would be about 1TB per day. So for them to store a rolling 10 days of video, they need to allow 10TB storage. 

Considering the storage required, is it still an unfair price?

There is NO WAY yo are using anywhere that amount of space.  There's no way in hell you're uploading 10TB of Data a month.  For one thing people's Upload speed is only a fraction of the download speed.  That's just 1 Camera.  The Video is going to be compressed quite a bit and only be a fraction of that size.

Put it this way, I have a 3TB HDD in my new TIVO and it has around 600 Programs recorded on it currently.  It's recording TIVO recommended programs all the time, and it's only taking up around 9% of the HDD.  So NO, you are so far, far off of your number.  I would be greatly surprised if it took up 1TB in that 10 days time!!!

• Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

And with Protect, now they'll know when I'm broiling meat in the oven!

Well if that's where you have it pointed!!!! 

• Reply 31 of 36
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    How does it k ow it's not detecting YOU ? Do you have to activate every time you leave the house ?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

What fucking idiot would buy home video surveillance from an advertising company?

• Reply 33 of 36
    rivertriprivertrip Posts: 143member
    The camera with Nest Aware might be a good maintenance free security camera for a small business. It's too creepy (and expensive) for a home.
  • Reply 34 of 36

Pass. Sorry, Google.

• Reply 35 of 36
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 640member
    slurpy wrote: »
    What fucking idiot would buy home video surveillance from an advertising company?
    I know a few prolific posters here on AI who would.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Notice how they ONLY show Apple products in the ad, even though Nest is owned by Google? Just goes to show the type of consumers they think are actually willing to spend money, and where the market is.