Apple will replace some faulty 3TB iMac hard drives under new repair program

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    emoeller wrote: »
    I have a 3Tb Time capsule purchased during that time period. Wonder if those used the same drive?

if youve worried about it, somebody at apple worried about it. they didnt recall your product, so i doubt theres anything worth worrying about until the day they release something saying you should be worried.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    appex wrote: »
    Mechanism inside? Seagate?

OTOH, Why is Apple SSD and RAM priced twice or more than they original manufacturer brand that they use?

dont ever buy furniture. its called "keystone pricing" -- buy for X, sell for 2 * X.
  • Reply 23 of 46
  • Reply 24 of 46
    elijahg wrote: »
    Presumably the reason the HDD is slap bang in the middle is because that's the fattest part of the machine (the late 2012 ones onwards are the super-thin ones) and the only place it will fit. Thinness above all other considerations again...

huh? is there a known problem w/ all iMacs due to harddrives failing due to thinness? no, none that im aware of. so what consideration are you talking about? you understand that your non-engineers worries dont mean anything, right?
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Meaning the TC doesn't get as hot as the iMac or vice versa? Both get pretty hot, and the TC's fan doesn't turn on until things are really hot, around 50°C.
    Presumably the reason the HDD is slap bang in the middle is because that's the fattest part of the machine (the late 2012 ones onwards are the super-thin ones) and the only place it will fit. Thinness above all other considerations again...
    Yes thank you. If they use the same drives, and the iMac drives are failing, I'd say that is pretty relevant, and the TC ones should have a replacement program too.
    Yes thank you. If they use the same drives, and the iMac drives are failing, I'd say that is pretty relevant, and the TC ones should have a replacement program too.

but nobody ever said they used the same drives! why are you making so much noise about something you havent even bothered to confirm?
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

but nobody ever said they used the same drives! why are you making so much noise about something you havent even bothered to confirm?

Because only one company makes 3TB drives, and they only have one model, clearly. You should be cowering in awe at the wisdom on display.

• Reply 27 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

According to the iFixit teardowns, the iMac uses WD Black and the Time Capsule uses a Seagate Barracuda. Similar dives but I'd say the Time Capsule doesn't get as much of a workout as the iMac and probably not as hot either. We had a bunch of WD Blacks from that same time period that failed rather quickly. Prior to that we've had very good service from them. Not sure what changed. They don't specify a MTBF for that drive. WD does make a real enterprise grade drive called the RE which has 1,200,000 hour MTBF. That is what we use now in our servers.

• Reply 28 of 46
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,760member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    huh? is there a known problem w/ all iMacs due to harddrives failing due to thinness? no, none that im aware of. so what consideration are you talking about? you understand that your non-engineers worries dont mean anything, right?

Just because you as a "non-engineer" doesn't understand the implications of heat, doesn't mean engineers don't either. My concern - as an engineer - is how much heat the drive has to endure. Heat is bad for hard drives, and mine frequently hits 55°C. In fact it's been over the "specified operational maximum" of 60C more often than I'd like. Apple has made compromises on the iMac (much like the new MB) for that thinness. It means heat sensitive components such as the HDD are right in the centre of the iMac, and surrounded by other hot components. If it wasn't so thin, they could be spaced apart with much more cooling. Is thinness really worth making compromises for on a desktop? I don't know too many people who buy their desktops based on how thin they are.

They're from the same era, the same size, by the same manufacturer and have had problems in the past. The link is fairly likely. Confirming the link however isn't easy until someone posts what drives exactly are being recalled (my bet is Seagate) and someone takes apart a 3TB TC. The 2TB TC one uses a Seagate drive, and since Apple seems to only use WD and Seagate at the moment, there's a 50-50 chance.

Because only one company makes 3TB drives, and they only have one model, clearly. You should be cowering in awe at the wisdom on display.

Cheaper to buy them all from one manufacturer due to economies of scale.
    if youve worried about it, somebody at apple worried about it. they didnt recall your product, so i doubt theres anything worth worrying about until the day they release something saying you should be worried.

So before Apple recalled the Macbooks that had GPU issues there was nothing to worry about? Despite the thousands of reports that they had issues?
    mstone wrote: »

According to the iFixit teardowns, the iMac uses WD Black and the Time Capsule uses a Seagate Barracuda. Similar dives but I'd say the Time Capsule doesn't get as much of a workout as the iMac and probably not as hot either.

The repeated spin-ups aren't too great for hard drives, as it involves the relatively risky load/unload of heads. And on initial backup, the TC gets really hot. But yeah overall, it definitely gets used less.
  • Reply 29 of 46

What a coincidence! I had to have my 3TB HD replaced a month ago after it failed suddenly.

• Reply 30 of 46
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They also use higher priced components. Apple charges $300 to move to 512GB from 256GB SSD and they use boards with the same components as the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-AHCI-MZHPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELDBJ6

$458 for 512GB. $227 for 256GB. The upgrade by deducting the 256GB and adding 512GB going by the retail price would be $231 so Apple's $300 isn't too bad.

Apple should charge far less. Certainly, less than Amazon, because you are not buying just one SSD stick as with Amazon, but a full computer. Now, add to that the extra RAM price and the extra whatever else (including cables, adapters, etc), and you end up paying twice or more for the computer. In other words, Apple could slash the prices of all their devices to half and still make huge profits, significantly expanding global market share. But they do not get it.

Further, check this out (competition is good):

SanDisk Expands Into the External Storage Market with World’s Highest- Performing Portable SSD

New family of offerings feature world’s fastest line-up of Type C-based portable SSDs

COMPUTEX 2015 — TAIPEI, Taiwan – June 1, 2015 – SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), a global leader in flash storage solutions, today entered the portable SSD market with a family of high-performance drives, including the SanDisk Extreme 900 Portable SSDs, the world’s fastest line of Type C-based portable SSDs; and the SanDisk Extreme 500 Portable SSDs, the company’s new pocket-sized, rugged drives.

These new drives come with both USB Type-C and Type-A cables to provide the ultimate flexibility when working between systems.

SSD lines feature a three-year warranty.

The SanDisk Extreme 500 Portable SSDs will be available worldwide in capacities of 120GB, 240GB and 480GB, at MSRPs of $99.99, $149.99 and $239.99 respectively. The SanDisk Extreme 900 SSDs will be available worldwide in capacities of 480GB, 960GB and 1.92TB at MSRPs of $399.99, $599.99 and $999.99, respectively.

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2015/sandisk-expands-into-the-external-storage-market-with-world’s-highest-performing-portable-ssd

Details:

SanDisk Extreme 500 portable SSD

120GB and 240GB

Seq. Read: 415 MB/s

Seq. Write: 340 MB/s

http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/extreme-500-portable-ssd

SanDisk Extreme 900 portable SSD

480GB, 960GB and 1.92TB

Seq. Read: 850 MB/s

Seq. Write: 850 MB/s

USB 3.1

http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/extreme-900-portable-ssd

• Reply 31 of 46
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Apple could slash the prices of all their devices to half and still make huge profits, significantly expanding global market share. But they do not get it.

They have under 35% gross margins on Macs so they can't cut the prices in half. Over their whole product range, they have net margins of around 25%. They have higher margins on the more expensive models but at most they can take off about 10-15% and this wouldn't expand marketshare enough to offset the loss in profit. PC competitors are working with single digit net margin, some as low as 2%. The only way they survive is on unit volume and cheap parts. If unit volume falls significantly, these companies will leave the business.

SanDisk Expands Into the External Storage Market with World’s Highest- Performing Portable SSD.

SSD lines feature a three-year warranty.

The SanDisk Extreme 500 Portable SSDs will be available worldwide in capacities of 120GB, 240GB and 480GB, at MSRPs of $99.99, $149.99 and $239.99 respectively. The SanDisk Extreme 900 SSDs will be available worldwide in capacities of 480GB, 960GB and 1.92TB at MSRPs of $399.99, $599.99 and $999.99, respectively.
    http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2015/sandisk-expands-into-the-external-storage-market-with-world’s-highest-performing-portable-ssd

You can buy these and just plug them in for extra storage. SSDs aren't like HDDs where they have wake-up times and hang the OS and are noisy. In a desktop environment, you can plug one or more in and just leave it attached.

960GB for $600 isn't that far off Apple's 1TB for $800 in the MBP but a bit cheaper than $1000 in the iMac and Apple's drives run up to 2GB/s now, you won't get 850MB/s over standard 5Gbit USB 3. It can also be lower quality NAND. You can get a 1TB EVO drive for $378 with cheap TLC NAND and put it in a $13 enclosure, this gives you 1TB for less than half what Apple charges but it's not the same quality:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/dp/B00OBRFFAS
    http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S

The Sandisk drives were also just announced. Apple doesn't manufacture NAND so they have to wait until companies produce it before they can lower their prices.

Apple uses Toshiba and Samsung for memory and probably some others. There's a push towards 3D NAND coming up so after that happens, Apple will be able to drop SSD prices.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    They're from the same era, the same size, by the same manufacturer and have had problems in the past. The link is fairly likely. Confirming the link however isn't easy until someone posts what drives exactly are being recalled (my bet is Seagate) and someone takes apart a 3TB TC. The 2TB TC one uses a Seagate drive, and since Apple seems to only use WD and Seagate at the moment, there's a 50-50 chance.

so in short you're saying you have no idea. no idea if they're the same components or even brand. meanwhile, Apple, after conducting its own research, issued a recall for one product but not another. so here's the thing -- Apple is smarter than you, because they have the knowledge you're ignorant about (which drives are in the units). so for you to pretend you have cause for concern, because...well, there is no because...is just plain FUD nonsense. find something new to be concerned about, mr engineer.
  • Reply 33 of 46

Why don't you just build your own PC and crow about how much better it is?
    The only reason people troll here about "but but but competition is good" on this site is because they want to get on their soapbox and to tell Apple that it should be copying the competition. In this case, you are pushing the idea that Apple should join "the competition" in playing the low margin game.

That's because you just compared Apple's unit pricing on desktop computers to a high volume, low margin memory drive business without understanding the difference. You say is "Apple is ripping me off" by not selling their computers at BOM, but another way to look at it is that when a component is part of a whole, it can change the total benefit-to-cost ratio disproportionately. A multiplier on the total benefit you get from the whole. The only reason you see through this because of the BYOPC movement has exposed you to high-volume, low-margin component pricing. You're accustomed to thinking that way.

What makes your argument specious is that you don't post lengthy diatribes about this practice in all the products you buy. That energy drink or Mtn Dew, or vitamin water you buy? What's the BOM on goddamned sugar water? Yet you've plunk down $2.00 or more for a single refreshing can (or spent as much or more on a fountain drink at a restaurant), which you could probably make at home using the raw materials and a water carbonator for $0.05 per serving. BYO Mtn Dew. Yet where's your demand to see their BOM? Your lengthy post about "but but but competition is good"? Oh, I forgot, it's only wrong when Apple does it.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why don't you just build your own PC and crow about how much better it is?

.../...

The simple reason that you are wrong is the immense Apple fortune. As said, Apple could reduce pricing of all stuff to half and still make huge amounts of money boosting market share.

• Reply 35 of 46
    WHo makes the drive?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,760member
    so in short you're saying you have no idea. no idea if they're the same components or even brand.

Err, I said the exact opposite; the likelihood is they are one of two brands as there were only two manufacturers (Seagate and WD) making 3TB drives at the time.
    meanwhile, Apple, after conducting its own research, issued a recall for one product but not another. so here's the thing -- Apple is smarter than you, because they have the knowledge you're ignorant about (which drives are in the units). so for you to pretend you have cause for concern, because...well, there is no because...is just plain FUD nonsense. find something new to be concerned about, mr engineer.

Perhaps you should find something new to waste your time arguing about, as I've stated the facts and probabilities but you are apparently ignoring them. There's little doubt Apple's smarter than you too, as they've got you right in their palm and have convinced you that everything is fine and dandy. Fingers in ears comes to mind. No doubt if this recall hadn't been issued yet (much like before the MacBook GPU recall) you'd be trumpeting how everything's fine, since Apple's not issued a recall. Just because they've not recalled something doesn't mean there's no potential for a problem. But since you seem so sure the drives aren't the same, where's your proof?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    imac.usrimac.usr Posts: 29member

The failures are probably related to the Thailand flooding: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

• Reply 38 of 46
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

Does anyone have the link on apple to check their serial number?  Thanks!

• Reply 39 of 46
    fxgpvfxgpv Posts: 8member
    ATENTION, mine HD just failed last week. Unfortunately had no backup. Apple pays for replacement under APLLE CARE but the cost if sending the HD to sea gate to recover the data is mine.

So, make backup urgently if you have an IMac between these dates. Then send for repair
  • Reply 40 of 46
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FXGPV View Post

So, make backup urgently if you have an IMac between these dates. Then send for repair

Other drives also fail, so backups shouldn't be limited to problematic hardware. I understand if the data is trivial, but if you have anything important, you should actually have at least 2 backups.