Taylor Swift praises Apple, but calls 90 day free trial of Music service 'shocking, disappointing' f

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 135
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Jesus christ Taylor Swift should pay me to buy her crappy music. Why does this gal complain so much, last time I checked she's loaded of money, unlike like 99.9% of people who spend on her music. Shut the **** up...
  • Reply 122 of 135
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Come June 30th I better be rocking Tay's new album exclusively on Apple Music after all this shit.
  • Reply 123 of 135
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Another competing paid music service has a 2 month free intro. Apple has absolutely no antitrust issues to be concerned about with their free 3 month trial. Zero.

That whole "Apple can't pay the artists because... ANTITRUST!" spiel was simply an imaginative but silly talking point from the mind of someone looking for a way to explain away Apple's initial plan. Whether it made sense didn't matter apparently as there were enough fans to grab hold and talk it up as a banner theme. Should be pretty obvious now that was no reason not to pay the IP owners.

That does not mean that the EU might have some other concern with Apple Music and the negotiations with license holders. But offering a free introductory period won't be one of them. There's nothing wrong with that at all and certainly can't rise to the level of "predatory pricing".

What we all do not know is if the company is paying for the 2 months, therefore the artist and record companies are still getting their pay check. If that is the case then no issue for apple, if apple is the only one paying this can cause a problem as we have seen.

But after reading more it really sounds like Apple is only agreeing to compensate the Artist during this period not the record companies. Honestly the record companies are play a game here making the negotiation tactic public and then Taylor weighting in and Apple just turned it around and said we all all about the Artist getting paid and basically saying to the record companies ball in your court, how do you want to handle it. The problem with this is the record company would have to tell Apple what each artist cut is so they can pay them driectly. Record companies are not going to share this information. The record companies will come out looking like idiots yet again.
  • Reply 124 of 135
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK then Jimmy should be behind the scenes giving this message to Taylor Swift and lots of other artists too. Make damn sure she has zero reason to write an open letter to Apple. They've has a year to work on this service. They should have their i's dotted and t's crossed by now,

She'd still whine, it's about money. People don't have common decency anymore.

You know, WhiteFalcon ... it utterly beats me how YOU can have the impertinent arrogance to even TALK about Common Decency when you spend so much of your time pouring vitriol and contempt on people who'se viewpoint is different from yours. 

Nothing you can say, no fabricated wordgames you can write will change the fact that APPLE has seen that they blew it on this and changed their policy, corrected their mistake and left assholes like you looking amazingly dumb and stupid to boot. Trying to defend APPLE for mistakes that APPLE tacitly acknowledges earns you the title of MORON OF THE WEEK.

• Reply 125 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    What we all do not know is if the company is paying for the 2 months, therefore the artist and record companies are still getting their pay check. If that is the case then no issue for apple, if apple is the only one paying this can cause a problem as we have seen.

But after reading more it really sounds like Apple is only agreeing to compensate the Artist during this period not the record companies. Honestly the record companies are play a game here making the negotiation tactic public and then Taylor weighting in and Apple just turned it around and said we all all about the Artist getting paid and basically saying to the record companies ball in your court, how do you want to handle it. The problem with this is the record company would have to tell Apple what each artist cut is so they can pay them driectly. Record companies are not going to share this information. The record companies will come out looking like idiots yet again.
    Apple substitutes "artist" for IP holder.

The royalties are paid to the IP holder, generally the label, and a far smaller portion to the songwriter. The reported split up to now has been 88% label and 12% songwriter. The recording artist isn't paid directly by Apple AFAIK unless they are also one of those two things, or in Swift's case both.

And if "the other service with two free months" wasn't paying we would have heard about it. They aren't small.
  • Reply 126 of 135
    It appears Tayor is a bit of a hypocrite if she understand this.

https://junction10.wordpress.com/2015/06/21/those-in-glass-houses-shouldnt-throw-stones/#more-339
  • Reply 127 of 135
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I'm unhappy with the fact that it's free for 3 months, then goes straight to a $10 monthly fee, possibly the free with ads, or $5 limited would be other options?
  • Reply 128 of 135
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

Know what's disappointing? Calling Taylor Swift an "Artist".

• Reply 129 of 135
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstrmac View Post

https://junction10.wordpress.com/2015/06/21/those-in-glass-houses-shouldnt-throw-stones/#more-339

I said before I appreciate her business acumen, however I also believe she is a massive narcissist. When she came out swinging at Apple over this Apple Music issue, you can believe it was really about her, not other musicians. One uses the collective "we" to appear bigger and scarier to another party in a negotiation. Now she loses if she doesn't immediately offer to join Apple Music. Apple called her bluff and I think over a period of 3 months, Apple won't really be paying out that much money. Streaming rights payments are minuscule compared to music sales and music sales are minuscule compared to touring and merchandise sales.

• Reply 130 of 135
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

That's not Taylor Swift.

• Reply 131 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's not Taylor Swift.

Nope, it's a meme.

• Reply 132 of 135
    lacwbolacwbo Posts: 3member
    Taylor Swift is an artist? Give me a break.
  • Reply 133 of 135
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mstrmac wrote: »

Well TS isn't using photos for commercial gains. Apple is using music for commercial gains.
  • Reply 134 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lacwbo View Post

Taylor Swift is an artist? Give me a break.

I don't like her style of music either, but that doesn't mean she's not a talented artist.

• Reply 135 of 135
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I said before I appreciate her business acumen, however I also believe she is a massive narcissist. When she came out swinging at Apple over this Apple Music issue, you can believe it was really about her, not other musicians. One uses the collective "we" to appear bigger and scarier to another party in a negotiation. Now she loses if she doesn't immediately offer to join Apple Music. Apple called her bluff and I think over a period of 3 months, Apple won't really be paying out that much money. Streaming rights payments are minuscule compared to music sales and music sales are minuscule compared to touring and merchandise sales.

She was the first big name to come out against it, but if Apple had persisted she wouldn't have been the last. Each of them would have been mainly thinking of their own interests, but it would have summed to "we." That's what Apple saw coming.