Study: Higher iPhone resale value in US and China suggests strong demand

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Fresh data shows Apple's latest iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are reselling at comparatively higher prices than last year's iPhone 5s and 5c models did during the same post-launch period in 2014, suggesting demand for the handset has not waned.

Investment bank PiperJaffray recently studied iPhone resales on eBay in the U.S. and found iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units going for 72 percent of their original retail value some nine months after launch. By contrast, iPhone 5s and 5c sold at a respective 65 percent and 53 percent of retail during the same window last year.

A similar trend was discovered in China, where iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models on sale through online shopping site Taobao went for 73 percent of new retail value eight months after launch. Those statistics compare to 65 percent and 53 percent for iPhone 5s and 5c over the same period, respectively.

In a note to investors, PiperJaffray analyst Gene Munster cautioned that extrapolating iPhone demand from resale value is "not a perfect science," but said the results are an encouraging sign of healthy demand. Munster believes Apple's handset will continue to gain momentum in the high-end smartphone segment despite stiff competition expected to arrive in December.

The analysis bodes well for Apple, which sold a record 35.2 million iPhones in third fiscal quarter of 2014. Apple's larger-screened iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models are have done their share of record smashing since a market debut last September. In the first fiscal quarter of 2015, Apple blew away expectations with 74.5 million iPhone sales, and in the June quarter sold a record 61.2 million units.

PiperJaffray has tracked eBay auctions and Taobao prices for iPhones, as well as a variety of Samsung Galaxy devices, since 2013. To determine a fair value model, the firm tallies up the last 50 phones sold each week and creates a price index by comparing average sale price against new retail value.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But but Too expensive in China. Analysts are never wrong!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

but, but... nobody wants a giant screen phone! Guess Apple was dead wrong on that one.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

but, but... nobody wants a giant screen phone! Guess Apple was dead wrong on that one.

Congrats! You win tonight's "I like to take things out of context!" award!

Prize: One way trip to my blocklist.

Look at that S5 value; not even a year in and it's lost more than 50%.

• Reply 4 of 11
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Look at that S5 value; not even a year in and it's lost more than 50%.

What I find most interesting is that, in China, the Samsung Note 4 has a much higher resell value than any of the iPhones. It seems as if it's much more in demand.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    What I find most interesting is that, in China, the Samsung Note 4 has a much higher resell value than any of the iPhones. It seems as if it's much more in demand.

Perhaps there is demand for the stylus to write out the Mandarin characters?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

You are a little late to the party! I blocked him over a year ago.

• Reply 7 of 11
    But is it fair to compare a 2nd Gen iPhone 5 (i.e. the 5s), with the 1st Gen iPhone 6. The 5s may have lost value more rapidly due to it's "dated" design ... i.e. identical to the 5. It's a bit like comparing car resale values for the last year of an old model, and the first year of a new model %u2013 of course there's going to be a difference.

iPhone 6 is awesome, just saying this analysis seems highly flawed in numerous ways.
  • Reply 8 of 11

Bingo (MattbookAir).

• Reply 9 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

But but....resale value of 6 is higher than 6+. I guess Apple was dead right.

• Reply 10 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nah.  Thats a statistical error because so few Note4 are sold in China.

Nah. That's actually right because Note4 are so rare for resale since no one wanted to buy it in the first place. That's why resale value is high.