Apple on pace to sell 53M iPhones in June quarter, Apple Watch demand sustaining 'healthy' levels

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Agreed. Seems like only last week I got my 6+.

seems like yesterday that I got my 5s...and I still am happy with it...except perhaps with it's 32GB of space.

looking forward to see if the 6s is worth an upgrade or if I will be waiting until the 7.

• Reply 22 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Agreed. Seems like only last week I got my 6+.

... last year I got my Mac Plus! :(
  • Reply 23 of 61
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by total View Post

hmm that would be +50% YoY, crazy!

That's the club used to beat the stock: the improbably higher bar set for any "increase" next year.

From "the glass is always half empty and the other half is spoiled" crowd.

• Reply 24 of 61
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

On the "in the wild" realm of anecdote: given clothing often covers people's wrists (I know mine does) observing a Watch is improbable compared to an iPhone people are clutching and staring into for extended periods due to it's usage model. I flick my sleeve, glance and am done, very short window for anyone to observe what I'm using. And many I see carry their iPhone in their hand even when not using it... So I'm skeptical of casual obervation being an accurate survey methodology.

• Reply 25 of 61

It's rather unfortunate that high iPhone or AppleWatch sales don't translate to a higher share price.  Apple's increased revenue still doesn't entice investors to buy Apple.  How can any company guarantee long-term sales?  Investors either believe in a company or they don't and Apple doesn't seem to instill that confidence for reasons I don't quite understand.  I think as long as Apple offers high-quality products with solid support, sales will hold up.

• Reply 26 of 61
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The reason for low interest at the start is probably due to online only availability which was a terrible idea in my opinion.

The media loves the Apple launch line frenzy. Let's hope iPhone/iPad doesn't start launching online only.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Just read elsewhere that Watch sales were meeting or exceeding those of the iPad when first introduced. Why is that important? The iPad was Apple's fastest selling new product in its history. Looks like the Apple Watch will be a major hit for Apple. We have 5 in my family alone.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

On the "in the wild" realm of anecdote: given clothing often covers people's wrists (I know mine does) observing a Watch is improbable compared to an iPhone people are clutching and staring into for extended periods due to it's usage model. I flick my sleeve, glance and am done, very short window for anyone to observe what I'm using. And many I see carry their iPhone in their hand even when not using it... So I'm skeptical of casual obervation being an accurate survey methodology.

Agreed, but it is summer in the northern hemisphere, so most people I see are not sporting long sleeves.   But I have seen a few in the wild [here in Utah] (not including WWDC, where everyone had one).

• Reply 29 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I also need my watch to be waterproof and a bit rugged. I don't know if Apple will ever go there with the Apple watch.

Oh, it's quite rugged. I've banged it around, and not a single scratch so far in 2+ months.

As to whether it's water'proof' (we know it is officially water 'resistant'): http://mashable.com/2015/05/07/apple-watch-water-resistance-test/

Incidentally, since your iPhone has a GPS, why would you need it on your Watch? Unless, of course, you want a watch that is completely independent of the iPhone, in which case most of your complaints (the ones I did not include above) are pointless.

• Reply 30 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by total View Post

hmm that would be +50% YoY, crazy!

I would say in the range of 45-48M. 54M is quite high for this quarter. But, you never know.

• Reply 31 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    As for annecdotal observations, I live in LA, and have not seen a single ?Watch in the wild.

wait -- aren't you the guy who claimed he'd bought several in a boutique store and sold them on ebay? and you didn't see anybody else wearing one?

the idea of having to go into a store to try on a watch, then return home to order it,

you wouldnt need to return home, you could order right in the store after try-on.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    trumptman wrote: »
    I haven't read much about the heart rate monitor yet in terms of accuracy for activities.

while using pro gym equipment I'm compared the AW's reader to the machine's, and they were either identical or 1-2 BPM off from each other. thats good enough for me.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    mr o wrote: »

Apple usually gets it right from the fourth generation:
    1. iPod 4
    2. iPhone 4
    3. iPad air (which was actually a fifth generation product, 1 year after the mini)

nonsense. each of those products was kickass on v1, far beating the competitors in the same spaces. they may have had shortcomings and later improvements, but I've never heard of a CE good that didn't and doesnt.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

I also received an ?Watch for Father's Day.  While I am really enjoying mine - for starters the bands and fit make it the most comfortable watch I have ever worn - I will say I have seen few in the wild, and the activity at the Apple store was low in the watch section (I was only one buying on that Father's Day afternoon with the 45min span I was there).  That said, it has only been less than a week that the watch is available at retail, and many are likely not aware of the fact.

I think this is a product that will have good initial demand for the early adopters, but it will grow more slowly over time than the iPad (to this date Apple's fastest growing product for first 3 years).  People need to use it and experience it to fully appreciate it.  And services like Apple Pay need to grow more widely.

I thought about this as well, but I think in general, the Watch will be a lot harder to spot than a phone - it much easier to see someone with a little brick pressed against their head or being beaten by their thumbs as they talk or text and walk blindly into a wall or another human. Glances and interaction with the watch will be less obvious, the device is of course much smaller, and for many, it will be hidden under jacket or short sleeves.

My wife and I both are using ours every day, and the notification glances for emails and texts, as well activity monitoring, is excellent. Oh yes, and checking the time and weather, including a complication for another time zone when my wife travels. Oh, and answering calls, or using Siri to respond to texts or look something up. Yes, and using Apple Pay multiple times a day. Without digging for my phone.

• Reply 35 of 61
    cali wrote: »
    The reason for low interest at the start is probably due to online only availability which was a terrible idea in my opinion.

how can you read this site and still believe that was by design? it was clearly supply constrained, due to reasons we'll likely never know about. except one -- that they did it on purpose.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    I own an Apple watch and by far the killer reason to own it is: It has given me BACK MY LIFE , due to the fact that when I get an alert or a text message I can quickly review it and NOT get sidetracked into using other things on the phone because I have fished my phone out of my pocket. It is also a major safety issue I can't stress just how important this is. The fitness is nice and really does get me out of my chair but that's not AS important.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Apple flagship store in SF and store in Emeryville has had consistent crowds around the watch cases with many many people spotted wearing them.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's interesting how people's anecdotes are always different than the meme out there. The meme is Apple Watch is a dud. Yet I see more and more posts like this from people saying just the opposite.
    Why are you giving any credence to memes, media, or any other internet gossip crap? My anecdotes are my own observations, and I have no hidden agenda.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    I own an Apple watch and by far the killer reason to own it is: It has given me BACK MY LIFE , due to the fact that when I get an alert or a text message I can quickly review it and NOT get sidetracked into using other things on the phone because I have fished my phone out of my pocket. It is also a major safety issue I can't stress just how important this is. The fitness is nice and really does get me out of my chair but that's not AS important.

Well put. I agree.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

I too agree. 

One week in, and it's amazing how much less of an attention- and time-vortex the phone has become for me. 

Others may not be as susceptible to that problem, but in my case, Apple Watch has really changed my daily life.