Dr. Dre's 'The Chronic' to making streaming debut with Tuesday's Apple Music launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

You massively underestimate just how important Detox is in the hip hop community. It's the rap equivalent of the unreleased Michael Jackson songs.

"Don't believe the hype!"

• Reply 22 of 46
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

No one will bat an eye unless it's a white person saying or doing something wrong. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'll bet there will be a lot of highly offensive language in this...yet no one will bat an eyelash. /s (?)

The ignorance displayed here.

Looks like a FoxNews forum these days.

• Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Speaking for myself, I think Fox News is awful.

• Reply 24 of 46
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

You are foolish if you don't think that is the case. Why do these incidents like Michael Brown and Treyvon Martin get so much media attention? Black on white crimes aren't even covered in the national news. There are way more black on white crimes than white on black, but you never see the liberal media talking about that. Media keeps portraying the narrative of "black lives matter" and they are victims of racist police officers. Fact is, black people are more likely to be victims of violent confrontations with the police than whites because the commit more violent crimes than whites per capita. A simple look at FBI statistics will show blacks commit eight times more crimes against whites than vice-versa. Go head and turn your head typical liberal. 

• Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

You are foolish if you don't think that is the case. Why do these incidents like Michael Brown and Treyvon Martin get so much media attention? Black on white crimes aren't even covered in the national news. There are way more black on white crimes than white on black, but you never see the liberal media talking about that. Media keeps portraying the narrative of "black lives matter" and they are victims of racist police officers. Fact is, black people are more likely to be victims of violent confrontations with the police than whites because the commit more violent crimes than whites per capita. A simple look at FBI statistics will show blacks commit eight times more crimes against whites than vice-versa. Go head and turn your head typical liberal. 

Well, look at you making Ochyming's point for him. Good job!

• Reply 26 of 46
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    bobjohnson wrote: »
    You massively underestimate just how important Detox is in the hip hop community. It's the rap equivalent of the unreleased Michael Jackson songs.

It's the music equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever.

:lol: Hopefully not the same quality.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Apple is poise to screw up the streaming industry by trying all of this exclusives. Right now we have five popular services including Apple. What happens when they ask play this game?

It will be a nightmare and a streaming service loses its value
  • Reply 28 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali wrote: »
    Why not release Dr. Dre Detox on launch day?

It would have easily gained 3 Million users day one. It's the most anticipated Hip Hop album in history and people been waiting since 2003.

Massive PR would have been made around music and celebrity sites.

Presumably an album recorded more than ten years ago would completely lack relevance and sound and feel dated.

So? Wasn't everyone happy when Apple got the Beatles catalog? Songs that are over 40 yrs old that are irrelevant, sound and feel dated.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'll bet there will be a lot of highly offensive language in this...yet no one will bat an eyelash. /s (?)

Then no eyelashes were batted for over 20 yrs.

Today's eyelashes flutter a lot more easily than a generation ago. These days, one's umbrage is always teetering on being upset for the smallest thing...

My personal jimmies are rustled when some one calls "rap" - music. To my ears it's some ghetto black vomiting out crap about bitches, drugs or gangs - all being set to a boring percusion line... what a come down from the people who gave the world the blues and Jazz.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    rogifan wrote: »

Apple certainly treats movies, books and music differently than apps that's for sure.

Seems so... I seem to remember some album covers with the confederate battle flag on them... Oh, and book covers and some movies as well...
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

From Wikipedia:

The album's lyrics caused some controversy, as the subject matter included homophobia and violent representations. It was noted that the album was a "frightening amalgam of inner-city street gangs that includes misogynist sexual politics and violent revenge scenarios".[16] Dr. Dre's dissing of former band-mate, Eazy-E, resulted in vicious lyrics, which were mainly aimed at offending his enemy with homosexual implications, although it was noted to have "a spirited cleverness in the phrasing and rhymes; in other words, the song is offensive, but it's creatively offensive".[17]

I am not a big rap fan, although I do listen on occasion. The thing to understand about Dr Dre and all that "old school gangster rap" is that it comes from a place that luckily it seems most of us here did not have to come from. The music and ideas in it are a reflection of what life was like and the inner city attitude life that these people grew up in. It shows and expresses the type of life these people grew up in. People may enjoy listening to it for different reason, and there are some songs I love to listen to, and others which are like nails on a chalk board to my ears. What's important is that the music tells a story and gives people an eye into the lives they had. Go listen to "**** tha Police" and tell me it doesn't give an insight into their lives and you can't see a resonance to the problems that linger to this day (I think that many things are overblown, but there is no denying that police are more suspicious and harder on african americans than whites).

In short the music reflects their lives. If the content disgusts you, well thats a good thing you are now aware of what they grew up in. That glorification of that life is a personal choice, and yes young kids can be easily influenced by it. Just like they can be influenced by any sort of media (violent games or movies). I just don't think most parents sit with their kids explaining what goes on in those songs. 

• Reply 32 of 46
    Apple is poise to screw up the streaming industry by trying all of this exclusives. Right now we have five popular services including Apple. What happens when they ask play this game?

1. Competition against Apple is good
    2. Competition from Apple is bad

Can't have it both ways.
  • Reply 33 of 46

Didn't see you complain when Tidal was doing it.
    http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/120543

It's only wrong when Apple does it. And yes, they "ask" play this game.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Didn't see you complain when Tidal was doing it.
    http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/120543

It's only wrong when Apple does it. And yes, they "ask" play this game.

Actually I do think the same thing about tidal. I believe that for streaming services they should compete with compelling services like beats 1 rather then exclusive content if they compete with exclusive music eventually band a is only on Spotify artist c is only on Apple artist Y is only on rapsody and just for good measure Xbox music has exclusives on game soundtracks. What you now have is a situation where you would either need to buy or pirate the music of other services to fill in the gap or you subscribe to all of the services. This practice does nothing positive in the industry and only angers consumers. Apple gets an exclusive artist it annoys users of other services and makes no difference to Apple users unless it's an asshole who wants to throw it in people's face.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    So? Wasn't everyone happy when Apple got the Beatles catalog? Songs that are over 40 yrs old that are irrelevant, sound and feel dated.

Comparing Dre to the Beatles? Dude, please.
  • Reply 36 of 46

Comparing Dre to the Beatles? Dude, please.

Now you see how silly your generalization was.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

He says the word nigger a lot in it. But he's black so different rules apply, or something.

• Reply 38 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is Dre limiting this to Apple Music? If so, is that collusion since he’s an Apple employee? The DOJ will probably jump on this quickly.

And no I’m not being sarcastic.

He's an Apple employee selling his own music through Apple. Collusion? WTF.

• Reply 39 of 46
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

No one will complain because none of the middle aged white professional complainers will understand a single word he says.

• Reply 40 of 46
    evilution wrote: »

No one will complain because none of the middle aged white professional complainers will understand a single word he says.

Or maybe because they were partying to it some 23 yrs ago. :lol: