Apple SIM goes global: GigSky brings iPad data plans to more than 90 countries & territories

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    krawallkrawall Posts: 163member

I too wonder what clientele they are trying to serve. I was in hospital last time and realised how much traffic one can use (hooked up my mac to my iphone): 3 gigs in two days. After that I had to top up my "fair use" because the fair use of 128kbit wasn't even delivering my email.

I'm on 3 in HK and we get something called "data roaming daily pass". I pay quite  a bit for a day but it's flat rate data roaming (I think it's around USD30 now for most countries and around USD24 for some close to here). It's only for a day but last time I went to Japan and had a few gigs worth of traffic on a two day trip so it worked out OK for me. For longer visits, just get a local sim card. 

If companies start selling 20MB then I think we should know that WE are not the target customers. Perhaps feature phone users that can do e-mail would be ok with 20MB. Heck, browsing websites consumes 20MB in a heartbeat.  

Not really sure who this is really for.

• Reply 22 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I think the article meant gigabytes, rather than megabytes, don't you think?

[QUOTE][URL=http://www.news.com.au/technology/apple-issues-overseas-data-lifeline-to-australian-ipad-users-quietly-launches-apple-sim-plan/story-e6frfrnr-1227423495174]Apple SIM users will be able to select a data pack when they arrive in a foreign destination[/URL] with GigSky offering 3GB downloads for $50 in countries including the United Kingdom, Germany, Greece and Italy, and 1GB for $50 in countries such as the United States, France and Denmark.
    Access in Oceania is significantly more expensive, however, with New Zealand data roaming charged at $50 for 500MB, and $50 for just 90MB in Fiji.
    The plans offer a significant discount on global roaming from some Australian telecommunications carriers, however, with Telstra charging as much as $3000 to download 1GB overseas without a plan, and Vodafone and Optus charging $1000 and $500 respectively.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 23 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Look at the data plans for civilized countries. U.S., Germany and the UK are 3GB for $50. Much better than roaming. Those low data countries are in parts of the world without much infrastructure.