Apple could eschew plastic back for new metal case with 'iPhone 6c,' rumor says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    According to Pew Research, data from about 6 months ago.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60599/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Related to Shaw Wu?

I must warn you, I have a rose gold belt in the ancient (2014) art of ShawWu... I also find the 5c nearly equal in robustness to the 5s.

• Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Looking at the @asmyco graph... it still looks like market penetration is still less than 60%.  

last month, Bloomberg says there are 7.1Billion 'Cell Phones' out there.  Last I looked there are about 1.5B Smartphones sold a year... assuming 3 years useful life of a phone that means there is about 4.5B phones... again... around 60%

So, there are 2.5BILLION feature phones (ToG math).

and if you get to 90% penetration, (when the growth curve drops), you'll still have 700MILLION feature phones.  (3 year life 250M a year... more phones than apple sells per year now).

All imaginary numbers aside... Here's what included in Android "feature phone" numbers... multiply this by the number of bazaars throughout the third world and it comes to nearly 2.5 billion. Even the numbers of used phones in Turkey (of the 2.5 world), are impressive. PS: While some "look' like smart phones, they are not.

• Reply 44 of 47
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I'll make a bet.

Ban of one week if 6/6+ is the mid tier - I'll ban myself.

If 6/6+ is  not the mid tier you ban yourself for 1 week.
    let make it 2 weeks. You're on.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They need a 4" device at $99. Right now, its very neat and clean with the iPhone 5s still able to command that spot.

No outright iPhone is sold at a $99 price point. It's meaningless discussion 'on contract' pricing in a world where iPhone 6+ can already be purchased for zero upfront. Total cost of ownership is really the only thing that matters.

• Reply 46 of 47
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WRONG.  If you are talking about poor countries than yes.  But even that is changing.

If what you are saying is true and then there would be ZERO reason to have smartphones.  A flipphone would do just fine.

But you are dead wrong.  Most people who buy iPhones or $500+ phones use it as a mini computer that just so happens to make phone calls.

Just go to the stats.  See how many hours people talk on the phone versus texting, email, internet, apps.  Talking on the phone is only about 10-15% of daily use.

In 2012 Making calls is now the fifth most-used function on smartphones.  Now its probably even less, probably 7th or 8th.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2166603/Making-calls-fifth-used-function-smartphones--web-Facebook-games-music.html

Below is how people use their smartphone:

1.Browsing the internet 

24.49 minutes

2. Checking social networking sites  

17.29 minutes

3. Playing games 

14.26 minutes

4. Listening to music 

15.38 minutes

5. Making calls  

12.08 minutes

6. Emails 11.06 minutes

7. Text messaging 

10.12 minutes

8. Watching TV/films 

9.23 minutes

9. Reading books 

9.18 minutes

10.Taking photographs 

3.25 minutes

Looking at that only 10% of phone time is used for talking.  I bet in 2015 that drops down to 5% or less

Unless the study/research/statistics in article have other base to come up with such numbers; this study seems based on 2000 people in a world of 7 billions people and I don't have to say how many billions of people uses their phones daily. When you find study based on across the world population from urban-to-rural and in-between demographics phone users than let's discuss what percentage of people using phones for talk more than other functions on a daily base.  Now a days, many studies are based on a narrow/skewed data to prove their point of view.