Promotional images suggest Apple's new iPod colors will launch July 14

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

and it requires network for online purchases. It makes zero sense to add NFC and Touch ID in iPod.

If it were an online purchase then the iPod touch is connected online via wifi so requiring network is not an issue at all. Or am I missing something obvious?

• Reply 22 of 25
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Adding colors to existing products isn't exactly a sign of life. IPods, especially the Touch, need real overhauls to address performance and feature issues. Gaming for example is an important activity on Touch but the SoC hasn't been updated in years so many titles can't even run properly on the platform.

WTF are you talking about?  The Dual-Core A5 chip can run all the apps in the App Store and Apple will even continue to support iOS 9 on the chip.  There are many iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPhone 4Ss on the market that use the chip and no one has any complaints of games not running properly on them.  Stop spreading your FUD.

Ummm... there's running apps, and there's running apps effectively.Try running a very popular game called Real Racing 3 and see just how happy you are with a dual-core A5 chip in an iPad mini (original) and 1/2 GB of RAM. Jerky animations in many areas, and if you don't restart the iPad before playing RR3, you are almost certainly guaranteed to have it run out of memory within the first 15 minutes, and you've lost all of your progress in that particular race.

IMHO, the A5 should have been gone from all devices on the market long before it was. The original iPad mini with the A5 only just recently was removed from the Apple store.

IMHO, there should only now be devices being sold that have the A7 or higher (64 bit) and 1 GB RAM in order to have apps run properly, especially games.

As usual, YMMV.

Greg

• Reply 23 of 25

I wonder how much extra cost it would add to the ipod touch and ipod nano if they added NFC and TouchID home buttons. I think it would be a great booster for ApplePay adoption among those that cannot afford or don't need/want an iPhone or AppleWatch. Young teens or the fitness crowd for example.

• Reply 24 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    This would certainly come in handy going for a run and not needing to carry a wallet.

But this is probably too close to the iPhone feature set.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

If it were an online purchase then the iPod touch is connected online via wifi so requiring network is not an issue at all. Or am I missing something obvious?

The point I want to make was WHY Apple would implement a non-cellular device like iPod with Touch ID and NFC? iPad Air 2 has these, but it's intended for online purchase only, not at POS. Beside, iPad has cellular option too.