Purported 'iPhone 6s' schematics back claims of 0.2mm thicker design for Force Touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I don't feel confident that if you handed me two iPhones, one of them .2mm thicker than the other, I could tell the difference.

How thick is a piece of paper? .1mm? .2mm?

• Reply 22 of 41
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I believe that Apple devices have soon reached a point where making them even thinner than they currently are is probably not a wise choice, merely for the sake of making the devices thinner. The current devices are plenty thin enough.

I don't believe that Apple makes devices thin for no reason or just for thinness sake. On the contrary, I think that the thinner the iPhone is, the more comfortable and less obtrusive it is in your pocket. This is an important factor given that the iPhone is primarily a portable gadget. Imagine carrying an iPhone in your front jeans pocket or in the inner breast pocket of your suit, and it's so paper-thin that you only notice its weight and not its bulk. I know I would love that!

Give this a try: hold an index card or post card in your hand the way you would hold an iPhone. Its thinness doesn't make it difficult or uncomfortable to hold. Maybe its flimsiness does, but not the thinness. As long as Apple makes the iPhone rigid enough, I don't foresee any usability problems with continuing on the path of increasing thinness.

• Reply 23 of 41
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What kind of eyes do you have to determine that from the straight image? I suspect that there's no protrude at all and this is one of the features distinguishing the "S" version from current one.

Edit: After looking at camera spec which is around 0.67mm, it's still protrude in S version. Maybe the 0.2 thickness is added only at the screen layer and it won't change the overall looking vs current model.

That's bad. I was hoping for protrusion no more.

• Reply 24 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I don't believe that Apple makes devices thin for no reason or just for thinness sake. On the contrary, I think that the thinner the iPhone is, the more comfortable and less obtrusive it is in your pocket. This is an important factor given that the iPhone is primarily a portable gadget. Imagine carrying an iPhone in your front jeans pocket or in the inner breast pocket of your suit, and it's so paper-thin that you only notice its weight and not its bulk. I know I would love that!

Give this a try: hold an index card or post card in your hand the way you would hold an iPhone. Its thinness doesn't make it difficult or uncomfortable to hold. Maybe its flimsiness does, but not the thinness. As long as Apple makes the iPhone rigid enough, I don't foresee any usability problems with continuing on the path of increasing thinness.

When the iPhone 6+ came out, I did one of those cut outs that appeared on numerous sites, and I printed one out for myself to give myself an idea of how large the phone would be. Granted, the weight was not the same at all, but it felt awkard holding it in my hands, because of the thinness. I could be wrong of course, and perhaps my opinion would be different if I were holding an actual device in my hand that was super thin like a piece of paper.

Your last sentence about the rigidness is probably one of the main issues that will plague thinner devices. I hope to not read about any more "bendgates" in the future.

• Reply 25 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I don't feel confident that if you handed me two iPhones, one of them .2mm thicker than the other, I could tell the difference.

How thick is a piece of paper? .1mm? .2mm?

That is about right. Regular 24 lb. bond copy paper is .089 mm

• Reply 26 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

What kind of eyes do you have to determine that from the straight image? 

I see a darker line on the left most image which might represent the lens but it is not as prominent as how the side buttons are shown. On my iPhone 6 the lens protrudes at least as much as the buttons so it should be visible in all of the edge and end view profile images, unless they just decided not to show it in the drawing.

• Reply 27 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

That's bad. I was hoping for protrusion no more.

If you think Protruding camera on 6/6+ bothers you, look again:

And don't forget Samsung new flagship, the hype GS6/6Edge which has camera protruding like a blister:

• Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:

If you think Protruding camera on 6/6+ bothers you, look again:

And don't forget Samsung new flagship, the hype GS6/6Edge which has camera protruding like a blister:

t

I could not care less about Samsung. I know that while I am typing on my iPhone 6+ while it rests on a table, it is wobbling left and right.

I would much prefer to have extra battery filling the space stupidly saved for fake thinness.

• Reply 29 of 41
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Make it als thick as the camera lens and use the extra
    Volume for battery capacity
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Make it als thick as the camera lens and use the extra

Volume for battery capacity

then the iPhone 6S will be 7.6mm while 6S+ is 7.8mm. That's enough for others to laugh at Apple.

• Reply 31 of 41
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

then the iPhone 6S will be 7.6mm while 6S+ is 7.8mm. That's enough for others to laugh at Apple.

Perhaps  all you anal  retentive people should figure out the sound of one iPhone clapping? Jeez get a life!

• Reply 32 of 41
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Brick fans: this one's for you. /s
  • Reply 33 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jason98 wrote: »
    I could not care less about Samsung. I know that while I am typing on my iPhone 6+ while it rests on a table, it is wobbling left and right.
    I would much prefer to have extra battery filling the space stupidly saved for fake thinness.

I've done the same w/ my 6 naked on a table and noticed two things -- first, that typing on a table sucks compared to holding it. second, that it doesnt wobble much at all, unless i tap in the very top-left corner of the screen, which is away from the keyboard.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

Just for the record. You are on my blocked list.

• Reply 35 of 41
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    Especially since the MacBook has some structural flex due to the thinness; it's not as bad as the old white MacBooks, but it's definitely not as solid as a unibody machine should be.

That's because the new MacBook is not unibody.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    tlevignetlevigne Posts: 7member
    .2mm thicker, dang, Apple is doomed
  • Reply 37 of 41
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Back in my day, cigarettes were machined to a single millimeter tolerance,

but then again, that was a 'silly millimeter', as I recall...:smokey:

• Reply 38 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Yeah, you don'T care... (sic) but I'm guessing your one of the first ones to complain Apple is falling "behind" in the camera department (want me to check your feed to see if this is true?). The bump is there because its needed for this phone thickness. The GS6 finally beat the 6+ camera (after Samsung not beating the previous 7 Iphones) because if its big ass bump. Yet, people with cognitive dissonance will want both the bump to go away and Apple to beat Samsung (which they might still do even with the small bump...).

BTW, typing with the phone/ipod on a table sucks ass and thus I never do it, regardless if there is a bump or not.

• Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Yeah, you don'T care... (sic) but I'm guessing your one of the first ones to complain Apple is falling "behind" in the camera department (want me to check your feed to see if this is true?). 

You are confusing me with someone. So don't waste your time.

• Reply 40 of 41
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    iobserve wrote: »
    That's because the new MacBook is not unibody.

Of course it is!

"Unibody" refers to the whole case being the frame, and all components being bolted directly into that. Traditional design had a magnesium frame attached to a separate outer shell.