Showtime's new cord-cutter channel launches on Apple TV with 30-day free trial

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You have to watch some first before you can remember them. Homeland is one of the best shows on TV, and Claire Danes is a phenomenal actress.

Yeah, but my Amazon Prime already had that.

• Reply 42 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How do you lump CNN in with FOX?

I agree. It is disgraceful to lump in a biased channel like CNN with the more respectable FOX. In my home, CNN is forbidden from being viewed on any screens, TVs, devices, computers, phones and iPads. Obviously, I needn't even mention MSNBC, as that is the worst of them all.

• Reply 43 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

i have no reason to doubt it operates like HBO's similar offering -- access to their entire back catalog. my dad has HBO GO, and thats whats awesome about it. its better than DVRing.

And HBO GO is pretty much the same as HBO NOW.

• Reply 44 of 50

Showtime is available for just $8.99 a month as a premium addition through Hulu. First month free and $2 a month cheaper.

• Reply 45 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Showtime is available for just $8.99 a month as a premium addition through Hulu. First month free and $2 a month cheaper.

Interesting.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This decoupling is just going to lead to people paying more in the end.

Only if you buy into a load of these competing services. I suspect many of them will fail and we may see some consolidation over time. The industry is only just waking to the new paradigm and there is a long way to go and a lot of pain to come. As I mentioned before, for us it's just Prime and Netflix together at an amazingly low cost (if you accept Prime is free which it is if you only have it for shipping as we do) but you have to let go certain shows for sure. It's only TV .... :)
  • Reply 47 of 50
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How do you lump CNN in with FOX?

Because even the center is considered communist by the extreme right these days as is anything intellectual (history always repeats eh?) . It's the funny state of affairs that's now a reality in the USA these days. Polarization has reached new levels of extremism for many that would be comical if not so sad. Of course the minority always grab the headlines, one can only hope the majority are more evenly spread and moderate in their thinking.

EDT: Of course it is all a matter of perspective, extreme leftists think CNN is as bad as fox News ... as Kurt Vonnegut said so wisely ... "So it goes."
  • Reply 48 of 50
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member

All of these cord cutter subscriptions are soon going to cost more than the satellite or cable subscription when you add them all up. I really hope Apple comes out with something much better that actually makes it worth cutting the cord. 

• Reply 49 of 50
    All of these cord cutter subscriptions are soon going to cost more than the satellite or cable subscription when you add them all up. I really hope Apple comes out with something much better that actually makes it worth cutting the cord. 

This is absolutely the case if you buy into several of them. I have a feeling this is not a tenable situation going forward. The new internet based on demand / streaming paradigm shift will soon (if not already is) cause major disruption of the status quo IMHO.

On the one hand once you experience the likes of Netflix or Amazon Prime going back to the Comcast or Verizon cable interface and scheduled TV is like revisiting the 20th Century. On the other hand the cost of selecting several is too high. The solution is either to accept the limitations of selecting a single or two at most of the new services or there needs to be some form of aggregation. I suspect the latter will happen.

If Netflix and Amazon Prime attract most of the customers the likes of HBO and Showtime or any other go it alone system may (I hope this happens) have to become part of one of those successful providers. Perhaps one day we may see the likes of Netflix buying HBO or Showtime. That or they may face doom since Netflix and Amazon are both now producing their own high quality content. I realize HBO and Showtime are part of larger corporations, this changes nothing. The old Cable TV model is dead even if they don't know it yet.

Where Apple TV fits into this I am not sure. Buying Netflix might have been their best option but I suspect it is too late for that. I see my Netflix stock may be about to do a 7:1 split ... now that sounds familiar :)