Apple fixes VoiceOver bugs in update to iWork suite for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple in a rare overnight update on Tuesday issued what appears to be critical fixes to accessibility features in all three iOS iWork apps, returning full VoiceOver navigation and editing functionality to Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

With the new updates, Apple's Pages word processor, Numbers spreadsheet and Keynote presentation apps move to version 2.5.4 and resolve issues that prevented UI navigation and content editing using VoiceOver. In addition to the VoiceOver patch, Pages no longer blurs text on certain devices when the Speak Screen option is activated.

It is unclear how long the iWork accessibility problems persisted, but the launch of iOS 8.4 last week could be a contributor given its proximity to Apple's fix. Ironically, Apple recently created a special App Store section highlighting popular apps that successfully integrate VoiceOver compatibility, including the iWork apps updated tonight.

First introduced with OS X 10.4 in 2004, VoiceOver is a gesture-based screen reader that lets users interact with onscreen graphical interfaces relying on touch and sound, not sight. The feature subsequently migrated to iOS and is now offered in some capacity across all Apple platforms, including Apple Watch. Earlier this year, the technology garnered Apple a Helen Keller Achievement Award for improving quality of life for the vision impaired.

The latest versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote come in at 279MB, 245MB and 463MB, respectively and are free downloads for existing users. New customers can purchase the apps from the iOS App Store for $9.99 each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I noticed these updates were trying to install early this morning. The install would fail and the updates would download again and try to install again only to fail again and restart the process. I finally decided to uninstall these apps from my phone since I wasn't using them anyway, but it's really frustrating to think that there are people dealing with data caps and these apps keep downloading over and over because the update failed. Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are not small apps either.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Mine updated yesterday morning. No problems.

• Reply 3 of 7
    jackdgjackdg Posts: 4member

Were these updates for the Macs or as well their iOS apps?

• Reply 4 of 7
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    This wasn't an "overnight" update as the article suggests. I had them listed in iTunes on my PC in the "Updates" section at around 7:00 p.m. Central Time, and they were probably there even earlier than that, as I was without cable TV service when I got home until shortly before 7:00.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They updated yesterday for me.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post

I noticed these updates were trying to install early this morning. The install would fail and the updates would download again and try to install again only to fail again and restart the process.

Same exact thing. The trick is to manually update them one at a time. Yet another example of, as somebody pointed out before, Apple failing at handling large amounts of data.

• Reply 7 of 7
    almacmealmacme Posts: 2member
    I had problems with the Numbers update. When I went to open it, I got a black screen with the white apple in the middle. When I reopened my iPad, Numbers had disappeared and was I longer available anywhere. I had to re-download it from the App Store. And that only worked after I restarted my iPad.