Apple Stores begin selling third-party accessories with co-designed 'premium' packaging

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37

Thank you, Splif. I'm actually a massive fan of Apple products. I think the company as a whole does a great job. This, however, is a misstep. I'm a graphic designer with 20 years of advertising, branding, and marketing under my belt, so I'd like to think I know a little something about the subject. The whole POINT of branding, sog35, is that your product/company/service stands out among your competitors. Apple, of all companies, should know this. They've a rather strong brand and they've always treasured their distinct design in a way that, say, Google, is only now embracing. This is a disappointment to me as Apple has historically understood branding and design as a strength. I'm more disappointed that these brands (Mophie, etc.) buckled under instead of defending their rather well thought out brands.

By the way, sog35, I appreciate the warm welcome into the community. 

• Reply 22 of 37
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

says the guy with in his 1st post here.

wow, what a surprise.  A negative post about Apple.

He's right IMO. It is nothing but constructive criticism, an opinion. You're over reacting.

• Reply 23 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Who said the packages were black before? And it's AI using the term "premium". Seems to me this is just about a consistent look and feel for accessories sold in Apple stores. And perhaps there are environmental requirements as well.

Actually, unbleached paper stock would be a better move environmentally, but the packaging would all look grey or brown.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    Apple is doing the right thing here. Why not hold other company products accountable for a premium look and feel to match your products that they are benefiting from?

I never understood buying an iPhone and then a cheap accessory that doesn't match the quality of the product. Apple simply wants the entire experience to be at its best.

They are so on point right now it makes me grin from ear to ear...
  • Reply 25 of 37
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

No.  He's questioning the credenitals of proven retail executive.

Oh no!

• Reply 26 of 37
    I prefer to know which products are made and backed by Apple, and wonder if this homogenization of packaging won't confuse the shopper into thinking that it is somehow 'backed' by Apple, when it is simply a similarity in the package design.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

At some point having everything in the store look so similar will make it a sterile and uninteresting environment. I'll pass.

So now you know how to run multi-billion dollar retail operations?  

tell me what stores do you run?  Rick's bait shop?  Please.

I did run Rick's bait shop but then sales fell because all our bait looked the same. I pointed out that worms are supposed to all look the same and had even put the worms in "premium" white Styrofoam cups but we had a bad quarter or two and I moved on to greener pastures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Quote:

At some point having everything in the store look so similar will make it a sterile and uninteresting environment. I'll pass.

The point is having control over how it looks, which has nothing to with making it all look the same.

I disagree. The consumer needs some visual cues to help them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Sure every Apple product looks exactly the same. image

This article is about third parties. Don't be obtuse. When third party and first party products are all packaged the same, by definition there will be less visual variation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Quote:

Consistent packaging can also mean that you see the individuality of the images without frippery.

Also, where will you "pass" to?

I can pass to online retailers. I bought my Tech21 iPhone case at the Apple store because the packaging and product in it grabbed my eye. When something doesn't grab my eye in the future because there is a sea of white boxes with bland photos on them, then I'll buy some place where something does catch my eye. Simple enough.

• Reply 28 of 37
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    It's probably about the unified look as well as being environmentally friendly. They are using paper from those forests they protect.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I prefer to know which products are made and backed by Apple, and wonder if this homogenization of packaging won't confuse the shopper into thinking that it is somehow 'backed' by Apple, when it is simply a similarity in the package design.

What do you mean "backed by Apple". And all of these products clearly indicate who's product it is so I don't see where there would be confusion...
  • Reply 30 of 37
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Apple is doing the right thing here. Why not hold other company products accountable for a premium look and feel to match your products that they are benefiting from?

I never understood buying an iPhone and then a cheap accessory that doesn't match the quality of the product. Apple simply wants the entire experience to be at its best.

They are so on point right now it makes me grin from ear to ear...

I agree with this! And those who say that Apple endorses these products, well they do endorse these products by selling them. So the quality and presentation does affects Apple's image.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

Haven't seen the packaging, but I doubt all the accessory packaging will look the same. They can design it uniquely for each brand and still fit the desired themes.

At the same time, if Apple choose to, they can probably roll out different packaging based on campaigns or even season. It can go well with seasonal wearable fashion, or Product Red, or even highight accessories for revised Mac look, or new standards to reduce confusion. The key is clarity.

Plus they get to use the paper in their protected forests.

And based on that iPad case testing article elsewhere, it is clear that Apple do back the stuff they sell in their stores by more testing, or even certifications (e.g., HomeKit).
  • Reply 32 of 37
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    chadmatic wrote: »
    I only buy Apple products for the packaging.

You do? That's so shallow!
  • Reply 33 of 37
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    I only buy Apple products for the packaging.

You do? That's so shallow!

Take it easy guys, it's just a wrapper!
  • Reply 34 of 37
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Customers who do their due diligence and read reviews here and on other websites such as iLounge.com will buy the better products regardless of packaging.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    jasonpolk wrote: »
    It kind of shows that being the CEO of a retailer that only sells its own product (Burberry) doesn't make you an expert on branding or selling.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say it makes her more of an expert than, say ... you?

The homogeneous of Apple products (and now the accessories) reinforces the idea that everything is made to fit together. Folk will be more likely to buy something that looks like it was designed to connect seamlessly with their phone or Mac or whatever.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    dika028dika028 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Sure every Apple product looks exactly the same. image

I agree...