Apple's public betas of iOS 9, OS X El Capitan are now available [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    melgross wrote: »
    It's a separate enrollment.

Good, that was something frustrating about the 8.x betas.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    What always burns me is printer drivers for office printers. They usually take a couple of months after the final release to get up to speed.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member

Arstechnica has a nice review of the iOS 9 beta.

• Reply 24 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    auxio wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The Apple Watch update causing some consternation is also a beta.

"When Apple released the first beta of watchOS 2.0 last month following WWDC, users were surprised to learn that there was no way to downgrade from the beta build to the more stable Watch OS 1.0.1. Users tried a variety of different methods, but were ultimately left with one option: send their Watch into Apple and allow them to do the restore. With today’s launch of watchOS 2.0 beta 3, Apple has officially confirmed that there is no way to downgrade to an earlier version of watchOS without sending your device into Apple."

(9to5mac)

But that was for a developer beta.  This is a public beta with a much wider (and less technical) audience.  I'm fairly certain that they'll allow you to downgrade.

So, we don't know. That doesn't cut it for me.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    philboogie wrote: »

Yes, we do know. You can downgrade.. Just "restore" from your last backup.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    melgross wrote: »

Yes, we do know. You can downgrade.. Just "restore" from your last backup.

Yes, you said so. But can you confirm? Have you successfully downgraded and activated iOS8?
  • Reply 27 of 47
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member

Actually yes you can go to IOS 8.4  I know because I had to go from IOS 9 beta 2 back down.  It wasn't anything wrong with the beta.  I was trying to solve a problem that had to do with syncing iCloud iPad Air 2.  To make sure it wasn't something "stored" and brought forward from a previous installation, I did a government wipe on my device, then grabbed IOS 8.3 (we were still beta testing 8.4 at the time as well), then after installing 8.3 on the device that was running IOS 9 beta 2 on, I then upgraded my 8.3 to the beta of 8.4.3 then started over with a "clean install", putting my 900+ Apps back on in their little folders.  <grin>

So it is possible to "go back" but word of caution:

Please do a back up to iCloud of your device before installing IOS 9.  The manual backup (the giant one on my 4TB drive) is what got in trouble and caused the mishap mentioned above.  Again it wasn't IOS 9's fault!  I personally HATE and DESPISE iCloud, but when I did the backup to iCloud THEN installed a clean IOS 9 my iCloud backup went smooth as silk.  Who knew?  <lol>  So PLEASE even if you don't like iCloud like me, take a moment on your device and go click backup:  SETTINGS -> ICLOUD -> BACKUP -> Backup Now  I don't know why this worked better but it just did even when my hard copy wouldn't.

?One more thing...

Always back up your backup.  Just drag the whole folder to a different drive for safe keeping.  For those who don't know where the official backup is at, here's the path:

USER -> LIBRARY -> APPLICATION SUPPORT -> MOBILE SYNC -> BACKUP (to see which one is the device you need, leave this window open when you plug in your device.  The folder who's "size" numbers start changing - that's the one for this device you have plugged in.  <grin>

• Reply 28 of 47

Sorry, I just saw a post come in that said "just restore from your last backup".  Actually that is NOT true.  In fact you WILL get a scary message (scary only because "now what do I do???") that says "You can not use this backup to restore from because it has an incompatible OS.  UGH!  That's why I had to go seek out the IOS 8.3 on Apple's site, wipe the iPad, install IOS 8.3, then upgrade to beta 8.4.3 because THAT was the last IOS that was used for THAT backup!  

So you can go back, but no you can NOT restore from an older IOS backup.  You'll have to do a clean install IOS 8, THEN you can use your backup that was linked to IOS 8.3 or 8.4 - which ever you used to make your backup.

Bottom line... just do the damn iCloud backup.  I hate it, but it worked so I'll give Apple that one.  <grin>  

But do NOT click on the option: iCloud Music Library when launching and starting your 3 month trial for the new Apple Music!!!  It will wipe out all your personal songs (stuff you added not bought) AND your playlists too!  I found that out while testing it in beta 8.4  The good news is, it's all still on your hard drive back up.  When you plug in your device if you have "iCloud backup" clicked in the summary window, quickly change it to MANUAL and click "re-sync" before it has a chance to do the sync that started when you plugged in your device.  Click your device, click music and you'll see it's all there.  Just let it sync manually and it's all back.  You can then use Apple Music till your heart's content, just NEVER click iCloud Music Library,  Problem solved.

• Reply 29 of 47

Yep, still hammered. Trying to get it for a MacBook Mid-2009 2.26 Core2Duo. Can't get in.

• Reply 30 of 47

Wait till you see how fast 10.11 is on your older Mac computers!  It's amazing.  It's like having a new computer without spending any money.  Especially the internet.  The OS flies now, but the internet connection is super stable and REALLY fast.  I have an older 17" 2011 laptop.  We have Cox Communications.  Hard wired we get 165mbps.  That's pretty fast.  When I was running 10.10 I would average 63mbps wireless.  But when I installed the beta 1 of 10.11 I got 165mbps wireless!  WHOA.  I had to run the test 4 times using different testers to actually believe what I was seeing.

I have an older iMac downstairs  I think 2009/2010.  This thing now kicks a**.  It's faster than my 2014 model which has not been upgraded to 10.11 yet.  I put it on the older one's first.  You guys with older machines laying around?  You're in for a treat!

We don't use Gmail - I don't like the idea of machines or humans scanning my private thoughts, but running 10.11 using already installed software everything worked out of the box June 9th.  This is the most polished and stable OS I've tested for Apple.  I read a few things on here, but they just never happened on our end and we were testing on older machines trying to see how far back we could go (installing) to test for speed and things broken.  It just runs and runs fast

• Reply 31 of 47
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 467member

Installed iOS 9 on a vintage iPhone 4s that used to be my mother's primary phone (she's on a iPhone 6 now).  So far so good although I haven't linked it to my iCloud account yet.

• Reply 32 of 47
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

Installed great. Hope they improve the mem usage. Sucks it up just like 10.10.x did. Idle's at over 5gb with nothing loaded. :(

• Reply 33 of 47
    razormaid wrote: »
    Actually yes you can go to IOS 8.4  I know because I had to go from IOS 9 beta 2 back down.

That's solid info; thanks.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Bit of lag here and there on iPad Air 2 and although page reloading in Safari is much better with sites like the verge it's a bit jerky when scrolling longer pages like this forum thread, especially if you zoom or scale the page.

I have a backup to drop back to if it annoys me but I won't be updating my 6plus anytime soon.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Bit of lag here and there on iPad Air 2 and although page reloading in Safari is much better with sites like the verge it's a bit jerky when scrolling longer pages like this forum thread, especially if you zoom or scale the page.

Still laggy after enabling 'Content Blocker' ad thingy?
    I have a backup to drop back to if it annoys me but I won't be updating my 6plus anytime soon.

That's a wise decision. I hardly ever hear people upgrading their 'main machine', be it their iPhone or Mac.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Still laggy after enabling 'Content Blocker' ad thingy?
    That's a wise decision. I hardly ever hear people upgrading their 'main machine', be it their iPhone or Mac.

Yep, that's why I'm using my iPad, well after a tryout I'm going back to 8.4 as mail is all over the place and it's all a bit too 'janky'

Split screen stuff is good and i will be looking forward to the final release.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Just a couple of tips for El Capitan beta.

1) make a clone of your drive (Time Machine is not enough) using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

2) Permissions repair before... and again after the beta install, plus one more new start.

:smokey:
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Installed it this morning on a 4S spare.
    Installing took a long while, after downloading 1.2GB worth of update.
    Did a full reset and erase after install and so far kept all settings to their defaults.
    Did not activate my iCloud on it though as when it was running 8.4.

So far I am *very* pleased from what I see.
    Before installing, I had 995MB used, after 805MB (190MB less memory footprint :) ).
    Some apps reduced memory footprint in varying degrees (say 1% to 5% - none of them I think is using the new app thinning and no updates were carried out so far).

It has now been in stand-by about 1hr and battery still a solid 100% - no battery drain to be seen.
    The new font change is quite obvious and pleasing to the eye.
    The interface in some cases feels cramped on such a small screen, but it works.

Low power mode unfortunately is activated the moment you flip the switch on and not when the battery level reaches a certain low level - does not make much sense and considering that it is not reachable directly from the lock screen, it is quite useless to me. Screen brightness get reduced by the way. I already gave feedback to Apple about it.

The battery icon is square and ugly (as well the battery icon in yellow - horrible) and looks odd compared to the others in the settings.
    The App Store loads way faster and apart some occasional choppy animations or lags, the UI feels definitely faster than 8.4 on the same phone with the same setup.
    Also connecting to the mobile network seems faster.

If it goes on like this with the next releases, iOS 9 is a winner.

Useless note: New dynamic wallpapers maybe, would be nice...they are getting old. ;)
  • Reply 39 of 47

Installed iOS 9 on an iPad 2 - memory footprint was reduced from iOS 8.4 of 400MB. (from 2.0GB to 1.6GB)

It seems smoother than iOS 8. All installed apps seem to be working ok with 9.

On this device I did no complete reset and left everything as it was before the upgrade.

Not a real surprise, but low power mode is not available on the iPad.

Let's see though if I will notice any battery lifetime improvement or battery drain. So far it seems ok.

• Reply 40 of 47
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Anyone else finding this version of OS X to be an improvement on older versions on older machines? I have a MacBook Pro 5,5 (late 2009) that runs very well with Snow Leopard but very slowly on Mavericks. I didn't even bother with Yosemite. Is El Capitan a solid improvement over both?