Apple's iPhone reaps dominant 92% of handset industry's profits

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 90
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 wrote: »
    No way on earth will we see an iPhone6 free on contract.  The iPhone6 will be discontinued in Sept when the 6S comes out.  Apple will not allow the 6 to canibalize the 6S.

    Probable lineup in Sept:

    6S+ $299
    6S $199
    6C $99 - Plastic phone with iPhone6 internals. Not sure about screen size.  Could be 4 or 4.7
    5S $0
    5C - may still be available in certain countries

    Your 6C is therefore a 6 in plastic? And that will stop cannibalisation how? I think the C days died with the 5C. It also demands lots of reworking as opposed to selling what you have already.
  • Reply 82 of 90
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

    No way on earth will we see an iPhone6 free on contract.  The iPhone6 will be discontinued in Sept when the 6S comes out.  Apple will not allow the 6 to canibalize the 6S.

     

    Probable lineup in Sept:

    6S+ $299

    6S $199

    6C $99 - Plastic phone with iPhone6 internals. Not sure about screen size.  Could be 4 or 4.7

    5S $0

    5C - may still be available in certain countries




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

    Your 6C is therefore a 6 in plastic? And that will stop cannibalisation how? I think the C days died with the 5C. It also demands lots of reworking as opposed to selling what you have already.

    I agree that having a "6s" would be best for Apple in the lineup, as it serves as a clear differentiator to the latest models.  While there were reports that the 5c didn't sell as well as some hoped (but better than the 4s before it), it was also believed to help in selling more 5s'.  So, a similar principle applies here, and the scenario is the same in an "s" model year - a way to visibly differentiate last year's model from current year.

     

    That said, there have been no rumours at all to that happening, so perhaps not.

  • Reply 83 of 90
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

     

    I agree that having a "6s" would be best for Apple in the lineup, as it serves as a clear differentiator to the latest models.  While there were reports that the 5c didn't sell as well as some hoped (but better than the 4s before it), it was also believed to help in selling more 5s'.  So, a similar principle applies here, and the scenario is the same in an "s" model year - a way to visibly differentiate last year's model from current year.

     

    That said, there have been no rumours at all to that happening, so perhaps not.


     

    I'm guessing that the reason we haven't heard rumors is that they're using close to the 5c form factor and they don't have to stock pile plastic shells in advance cause those things can be done quick.

  • Reply 84 of 90
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the reason we haven't heard rumors is that they're using close to the 5c form factor and they don't have to stock pile plastic shells in advance cause those things can be done quick.

    Or because they are not having a C model this year. Like last year.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    sog35 wrote: »
    What is your argument?

    That you can buy a cheap piece of shit Android phone for $200?  Then you get a phone that lags, can't be updated to a new OS, and is open to malware?  Is that your argument?

    Your argument holds no water.  Its like saying its hard to beleive that BMW can sell the 5 series car for $70k when you can buy a Tata for $10k.

    Not at all, it has nothing to do with other phone makers.
    My point is that the device (iPhone) has a huge profit margin for Apple.
    I consider that not a good buy (a few percent is a good buy) and I like the iPad much better in that respect (it's 'only' 2 times the component parts and manufacturing price).
    I guess Apple considers the iPhone so good that it can squeeze much more money out of it, but the iPad is a bit more fragile in that respect.
    The first part (of my last sentence) is something I don't like in a manufacturer.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post





    Not at all, it has nothing to do with other phone makers.

    My point is that the device (iPhone) has a huge profit margin for Apple.

    I consider that not a good buy (a few percent is a good buy) and I like the iPad much better in that respect (it's 'only' 2 times the component parts and manufacturing price).

    I guess Apple considers the iPhone so good that it can squeeze much more money out of it, but the iPad is a bit more fragile in that respect.

    The first part (of my last sentence) is something I don't like in a manufacturer.



    You actually buy products based on how much profit the manufacturer derives from it?  Really?

     

    I buy products that meet my needs and help me solve my problems.   I don't care how much profit the manufacturer gets on it.   And the market will correct any price issues that exist.

  • Reply 87 of 90
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    chadbag wrote: »

    You actually buy products based on how much profit the manufacturer derives from it?  Really?

    I buy products that meet my needs and help me solve my problems.   I don't care how much profit the manufacturer gets on it.   And the market will correct any price issues that exist.

    Yes I do, actually anyone should, unless they like a ripoff.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post





    Yes I do, actually anyone should, unless they like a ripoff.



    How do you define a "rip-off"?   'Cause I think you define it differently than most of us.

  • Reply 89 of 90

    I'm seeing nothing, but just a world where the bad guys win and the good ones fail. Am I right?

Sign In or Register to comment.