With Apple's annual back to school sale playing hooky, Amazon Prime Day could fill the void

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Apple appears to have mothballed its long-running back to school promotion -- which traditionally paired hardware discounts with iTunes or Apple Store gift cards -- but parents and students will have another option for Apple deals this week in Amazon's first-ever Prime Day.

Apple's back to school sale usually begins around the first of July, and with no sign of it halfway through the month, it's unlikely to make an appearance this year. Consumers who were waiting to pounce on a new Mac, iPad, or iPhone might look to Amazon's July 15 Prime Day instead.

The virtual retain giant hasn't let slip which products will be on sale or how big the discounts will be, but they do tout "more deals than Black Friday."

Amazon is already an attractive place to purchase Apple products, often selling devices for $50 to $100 less than Apple's MSRP. A current-gen 15-inch MacBook Pro configuration that normally goes for $2,499 can be had on Amazon for just $2,374.99, for instance.

Amazon's Prime Day sale is only open to Prime members, but anyone can sign up and receive a free 30-day trial. After the trial, Prime costs just $99 per year and grants members free two-day shipping, discounted overnight shipping, and unlimited access to Prime Instant Video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, things are pretty tight at Apple right now.

Probably need the money so they can backs gay initiatives.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Prime costs just $99 per year and grants members free two-day shipping, discounted overnight shipping, and unlimited access to Prime Instant Video.

Prime is a fantastic deal, especially if you order a lot of stuff from Amazon anyway like I do. The free shipping is a no brainer in my opinion. In addition to the unlimited video I think you also get unlimited music and Kindle books, although I have never used either of those.

• Reply 3 of 20
    *** it's unlikely to make an appearance this year***

Based on what... simply the fact it hasn't been announced yet? You do realize that Apple will be announcing new iPods this week, yes? Would you like to make a bet as to whether or not they announce their back-to-school promotion at that time?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    not unlimited kindle books (that is a different program) - but one free book a month which is nice.

unlimited music within the prime set is also nice.

unlimited photo storage is valuable as a backup.

also, I think there is an option to share prime with other people?

prime is a weird hodgepodge of features and services.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Oh, and look what bomb just dropped on Amazon...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/14/technology/accusing-amazon-of-antitrust-violations-authors-and-booksellers-demand-us-inquiry.html?_r=0

Thousands of authors and booksellers pressing for an anti-trust violations inquiry into Amazon's practices. LOL!

• Reply 6 of 20

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/14/technology/accusing-amazon-of-antitrust-violations-authors-and-booksellers-demand-us-inquiry.html?_r=0

Thousands of authors and booksellers pressing for an anti-trust violations inquiry into Amazon's practices. LOL!

Good. Nice to see.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    smart move. people will sign up for prime each yr just to get these deals...then keep using amazon prime throughout the year and get used to it.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rare comment View Post

not unlimited kindle books (that is a different program) - but one free book a month which is nice.

unlimited music within the prime set is also nice.

unlimited photo storage is valuable as a backup.

also, I think there is an option to share prime with other people?

prime is a weird hodgepodge of features and services.

Yes, you can invite members of your family to join your Prime account at no charge.  Pretty nice if you already use it.  I'm in it for the shipping -- never tried Video or Music.

• Reply 9 of 20
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    I'm a big ol Amazon fanboy. Have been since Prime first came out. Purchased one of the early Kindles. Love their online store, and love fast shipping. Their store card has 5% back, with no interest if you pay it off monthly. Their user reviews are always top notch, and I make a habit of reviewing stuff there myself.

Recently upgraded to the Kindle Paperwhite. Really like their bookstore and all the features that come with it.

#notapaidrepiswear
  • Reply 10 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Have you actually read the article? It's a bunch of publishers and publishers' lawyers throwing a temper tantrum over Amazon cutting into their bottom line if not outright making them obsolete with authors ability to self publish on the ebook and Kindle medium. Boo hoo, poor lawyers.
  • Reply 11 of 20

The court will appoint Michael Bromwich, who will find nothing improper going on at Amazon, praise Jeff Bezos for creating competition with that nasty, nasty Apple, and return home after a light meal in the Amazon employee lounge.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    koop wrote: »
    I'm a big ol Amazon fanboy. Have been since Prime first came out. Purchased one of the early Kindles. Love their online store, and love fast shipping. Their store card has 5% back, with no interest if you pay it off monthly. Their user reviews are always top notch, and I make a habit of reviewing stuff there myself.

Recently upgraded to the Kindle Paperwhite. Really like their bookstore and all the features that come with it.

#notapaidrepiswear

Oh yeah? I'm an even bigger Amazon fanboy. I've had Prime since before it came out! Reviews are always factual and trustworthy, and the review system is impossible to game. My Kindle Paperwhite is so white, that white looks gray next to it. And its non-multitouch predictive keyboard is so responsive and smart, I nvver maje any midtKes.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh yeah? I'm an even bigger Amazon fanboy. I've had Prime since before it came out! Reviews are always factual and trustworthy, and the review system is impossible to game. My Kindle Paperwhite is so white, that white looks gray next to it. And its non-multitouch predictive keyboard is so responsive and smart, I nvver maje any midtKes ?

Why so bitter sir?

• Reply 14 of 20
    Oh yeah? I'm an even bigger Amazon fanboy. I've had Prime since before it came out! Reviews are always factual and trustworthy, and the review system is impossible to game. My Kindle Paperwhite is so white, that white looks gray next to it. And its non-multitouch predictive keyboard is so responsive and smart, I nvver maje any midtKes.
    Oh yeah? I invented Jeff Bezos. I love Prime so much I'm going to marry it when it turns 16. I have a Kindle and the only thing I read is reviews of Amazon products.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    koop wrote: »
    Why so bitter sir?

What do you mean? My heart is overflowing with love for Amazon and low low prices. Even the paperwhite's single-touch keyboard is a joy to use. I was typing too fast anyway. Pecking out letters with an awkward pause between keys is like writing calligraphy: you want to take your time with each letter...savor the moment. No, friend, there is no bitterness. Amazon has a special place in my heart, and in the hearts of the DOJ and Wall St.
  • Reply 16 of 20

Funny stuff

• Reply 17 of 20
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I'm mad I have to pay sales tax on Amazon now. Stupid Ohio.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Also interesting RE: NyTimes' hit piece on Amazon, it couldn't have anything to do with Amazon releasing their sales figures and completely debunking NYT's statement regarding its refusal to list Ted Cruz's book on its well known and influential Bestsellers list. Nothing like getting called out on an obvious lie attempting to cover up for an even more obvious bias.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/07/amazon-no-evidence-of-bulk-sales-for-ted-cruz-book-210374.html

Mea Culpa: not a Cruz fan whatsoever, but bias and hypocrisy annoy me like little else.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The court will appoint Michael Bromwich, who will find nothing improper going on at Amazon, praise Jeff Bezos for creating competition with that nasty, nasty Apple, and return home after a light meal in the Amazon employee lounge.

LOL, I hope not. Reading through the article, though, it sounds bad. Having people with an obvious bias at the helm is a serious issue for a Justice Department.  It wouldn't be OK to task a Department headed by an avowed racist in charge of investigating a racial issue, how can it be fine to have a known Amazon apologist in charge of a department looking into Amazon/Apple abuse of monopolistic position (or in Apple's case, abuse of potential monopolistic position)? Maybe I misunderstand the system?

It does sound though like this particular lawsuit is going to tell a lot about the state of courts in the US. If Amazon were to win (or lose less than Apple, which probably shouldn't have lost in the first place...), well, what's the worth of courts at all? 

From what I read, it would seem that being a white policeman means you are innocent, being a black kid means you're guilty, and being Apple means you lose. If so, well, just replace the law system with that relatively simple set of rules. It will save a lot of money in lawyer fees. But I expect what I read is very influenced by Twitter's instantness and newspapers' need for clicks/sales.

• Reply 20 of 20
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Also interesting RE: NyTimes' hit piece on Amazon, it couldn't have anything to do with Amazon releasing their sales figures and completely debunking NYT's statement regarding its refusal to list Ted Cruz's book on its well known and influential Bestsellers list. Nothing like getting called out on an obvious lie attempting to cover up for an even more obvious bias.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/07/amazon-no-evidence-of-bulk-sales-for-ted-cruz-book-210374.html

Mea Culpa: not a Cruz fan whatsoever, but bias and hypocrisy annoy me like little else.

While your information is valuable, I'm a bit perplexed as to why these would be related.

1- NYT refuses to include Senator Cruz's novel (sorry, I meant book) on their best-seller list, citing reasonable-souding reasons (true or not).

2- NYT gets called out on "liberal bias" (true or not)

3- Amazon states that they do not see "bulk sales", which gives credence to the liberal bias explanation but doesn't make it true.After all, it could be that most people buying on Amazon actually want the book, while bulk sales are going on in other retail channels... However small these are compared to Amazon. It would be interesting to have sales data from Apple or directly from HarperCollins.

4- A group of authors and publishers sues Amazon.

5- NYT reports on it (possibly gloating over it, given 1,2, and 3, or possibly just because clicks are good for business)

I don't see any reason why NYT would have started 4, which is what you seem to say when you state " attempting to cover up", or do I misunderstand you?