Stringent Apple HomeKit certification cause of slow market acceptance, report claims

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

I think Apple is doing this exactly as they should. I've done some tinkering with home automation, and I'm all too aware of security risks. If it brings money in slower, so be it. The last thing we'd want is some huge scandal because some third party devices bring in security issues.

Imagine if some thief got to log in to your house, or if some grief maker caused your kitchen to burn, due to your advanced Apple-HomeKit kitchen-and-door-system (by SamsHuaweimazonDinghua(TM)... of course) being insufficiently vetted? Apple would get the flak. 

• Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hagar View Post

Nobody knows how Homekit actually works, what the hardware requirements are and which devices will be compatible.

Actually, that's not really true. If you get access to the MFi program, you'll know how HomeKit actually works. I've looked into the process... and dropped it because ti's not at all the direction my company wants to go, and way too much hassle, but if you're really willing and have some nice idea (and money, and a team, etc), you can always register.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagar View Post

Me: please raise the temperature 2 degrees

Siri: I cannot find any songs from britney spears

Me: no, please raise the temperature

Siri: Ok, I'll send a message to your wife

Well, Britney does raise the temperature (at least, she used to).

Also, I have not seen your wife. Please post a video, maybe she does raise the temperature.

Don't thank me. I just enjoy explaining Siri's logic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

You evidently are an engineer. You should probably stay in a dark room somewhere and not talk to people.

And use the Internet to communicate on AppleInsider with like-minded individuals. Oh, wait. That's what we do.

Quote:

I'm entitled to my opinion. Ecobee does not have a Homekit Ecobee3 and a non-Homekite Ecobee3. They only intended to have a Homekit device. The made some, found out Apple was going to require the chipset and rather than start over, they dumped the early batch on some of us. Simple. We paid for their hedge to beat others to the market. They were wrong and we paid for the mistake.

Early-adopter woes. If you want to avoid these, avoid early-adopter products altogether. This is part of the game, man... Light a joint* and lean back. Life's gonna be OK.

* If the regulations in your country allow it, of course.

• Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Well, Britney does raise the temperature (at least, she used to).

Also, I have not seen your wife. Please post a video, maybe she does raise the temperature.

Don't thank me. I just enjoy explaining Siri's logic.

And use the Internet to communicate on AppleInsider with like-minded individuals. Oh, wait. That's what we do.

Early-adopter woes. If you want to avoid these, avoid early-adopter products altogether. This is part of the game, man... Light a joint* and lean back. Life's gonna be OK.

* If the regulations in your country allow it, of course.

I'm a big boy. I'm taking the hit. I've also been a fan of this site for a long time. I've come here every single day for close to 13 years. I read every article and comment sparsely. In this very rare case, I chose to speak up on something I feel strongly about. I've purchased a lot of technology for my businesses and personally. In this case, the duration between product introduction and re-introduction is short and I got stuck. I can take and afford the hit, but I don't have to like it. The attitude here seems manufacturer-side biased. All the points made by most are true, such as the fact that my E3's were never marketed as Homekit devices. Circumstances suggested a likely upgrade coming however and it did't work out that way. I simply believe in this case Ecobee should have managed this differently. I can't help but notice I've been hanging around here a lot longer than most. I'm going to continue. I'll be civil and I would expect the same from others. We all see things a little differently. 

• Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

I'm a big boy. I'm taking the hit. I've also been a fan of this site for a long time. I've come here every single day for close to 13 years. I read every article and comment sparsely. In this very rare case, I chose to speak up on something I feel strongly about. I've purchased a lot of technology for my businesses and personally. In this case, the duration between product introduction and re-introduction is short and I got stuck. I can take and afford the hit, but I don't have to like it. The attitude here seems manufacturer-side biased. All the points made by most are true, such as the fact that my E3's were never marketed as Homekit devices. Circumstances suggested a likely upgrade coming however and it did't work out that way. I simply believe in this case Ecobee should have managed this differently. I can't help but notice I've been hanging around here a lot longer than most. I'm going to continue. I'll be civil and I would expect the same from others. We all see things a little differently. 

Well, I hope I was civil! I admit I understand your feelings, though. Technology (especially with crowdfunding nowadays) can get really frustratingly delivered. Between failures, targets not met, or features undelivered... Sometimes, it feels like some companies advertise a product they know is going to be designed by someone else, sit on the money, and once it does exist, package and deliver to you years late :p

• Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Well, I hope I was civil! 

Yes, very much so. Thanks.

• Reply 26 of 27
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:

I don't speak for everyone, but I know I speak for some. You can be forgiving if you choose but I purchased "4" of the early release E3's. I think I have fair reason to discuss the timeline and how I and others ended up without HomeKit enabled E3's. You can go and read the reviews of Ecobee yourself in the app store. 

Maybe my comment towards the other poster was a little more direct than his, but condescending comes in many colors.

@thomasfxlt; You do speak for me, to an extent as well, and I do appreciate it. I'm not going to lie and say I forgive 100%.

I normally (and still do) participate in the EcoBee VIBee questions/community and recently received one 'survey' which asked us users if we'd be upgrading to the revised EcoBee 3, and if not why not. I was a little annoyed (more so after getting they survey) at the fact that as an early adopter, we were in that unfortunate position, because I had expected support for HomeKit myself via a software/firmware update. I'm not in the position to just replace my E3 now especially with the used E3 market probably not being that hot (now). I may however give it to my parents though! :) Still, it does stink.

Out of curiosity; why did you get 4 E3's? Good sized home, and/or with a multi zoned/multi-unit home/office? I have just the 1 with 3 total remote sensors currently, but planning on adding 2 more remote sensors.

• Reply 27 of 27
    I have a larger home with a forced air system and zone dampers. I installed 1-E3 in each zone location. I have 7 sensors spread across the zones. I'd had Nest in a previous property and thought it generally worked fine. I switched simply because Google bought Nest. The Nest units work together in a cluster environment. The Ecobee's do not, yet they can be grouped to use similar scheudles etc. In retrospect, I think the Nest is a more advanced product at this time for a multi-zone home. I'm sure Ecobee will evolve with this but I'd likely get myselft in trouble again if I assume future functionality.

So, all in all, I went with the Apple-centric product. This has always worked for me. I kind of think it didn't this time. Nest has all kinds of home automation function. When I do upgrade now, I'll have to really think through which way to go. I'm in no hurry to change at this point given the expense. People seem to forget that we're replacing $20 thermostats that had full scheduling capability for internet connectivity. I'll go on the record to say that this market will commoditize and the prices for devices like these will fall well below $100 as the traditional players get their act together.