HSBC bows out of Apple Pay launch as Barclays vows future support

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
It seems Apple Pay's UK debut didn't go off without a hitch on Tuesday, as HSBC customers are not able to use service despite the bank's status as an official launch partner. In a related development, Barclays did an about face and announced upcoming support for Apple's contactless payment solution.

Shortly after Apple Pay launched in the UK, customers of HSBC and its First Direct internet banking arm expressed disappointment that their accounts were not among the first to boast compatibility with Apple's touchless payment tech, reports The Telegraph. The bank has more than 16 million customers in the region.

HSBC was originally advertised on Apple's regional webpage as one of eight launch partners, but that has since changed. Bank representatives answering an outpouring of customer concern on Twitter said support is "launching soon," while others narrowed down the timeframe to sometime in July. Ironically, virtual HSBC cards still show up prominently on Apple's promotional Apple Pay screenshots for the UK market.

As HSBC comes under fire, competing bank Barclays also took to Twitter to announce future Apple Pay support for debit cards and Barclaycard credit cards. Last month, the bank said it was conducting "constructive" talks with Apple, but fell short of announcing a solid commitment. At the time, the decision was attributed to Barclays' investment in its own bPay contactless payment initiative.

Despite Barclays' Twitter overtures, however, the bank has yet to show up on Apple's official list of partner banks, which currently lists Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, M&S and TSB as "coming soon." The second wave of UK bank support is expected to hit in fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hardly the most controversial thing HSBC has done...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Hardly the most controversial thing HSBC has done...

:D

• Reply 3 of 16
    facetedfaceted Posts: 15member
    I'm an irritated HSBC customer. Not by the lack of support, but by the lack of information.

If they just said something like "There's a technical fault that we can't resolve straight away, but are determined to fix this ASAP" I'd be happy. But instead they are acting like "later in July" was always the case.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    So HSBC does business with drug cartels but not Apple?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Wow, I'm amazed people are switching banks just to use Apple Pay.

If those banks in the "Coming Soon" category wish to keep their customers it appears soon needs to be very very soon indeed!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Wow, I'm amazed people are switching banks just to use Apple Pay.

If those banks in the "Coming Soon" category wish to keep their customers it appears soon needs to be very very soon indeed!

Not really that surprising.

Banks are a much of a muchness in this country; there's not much that separates one from the other. We also have a switching scheme that makes it a lot easier to move your standing orders and direct debits to your new account once it's up and running.

Right now, something like Apple Pay is a real differentiator. Not supporting could be a big mistake. I know a few people who have already switched from Barclays, even though they knew support was coming.

• Reply 7 of 16
    Nationwide building society card is working fine! I've used ApplePay 3 times already today! :-)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    I think all banks and stores will get on board in short order. It is not worth them losing business from their most affluent customers.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ Their most affluent customers will not be using Apple Pay.  Doubtful their most affluent customers ever have to pay for anything at a register.

• Reply 10 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by faceted View Post

I'm an irritated HSBC customer. Not by the lack of support, but by the lack of information.

If they just said something like "There's a technical fault that we can't resolve straight away, but are determined to fix this ASAP" I'd be happy. But instead they are acting like "later in July" was always the case.

Oh make no mistake about it. Technical issues have nothing to do with it. It’s all about the money, the fees and how big a cut Apple gets for being the middle man. Credit and debit card issuers love the processing fees while merchants hate them. Big box stores like Walmart hate the fees so much they created CurrentC to bypass credit and debit cards and go directly to the customer’s bank account.

Processing fees is the driving force behind ALL of this.

• Reply 11 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see it didn't take long for the UK media to start spreading misinformation about ?Pay. :rolleyes:

http://blogs.channel4.com/geoff-white-on-technology/apple-pay-profits/1807

[QUOTE]Knowing your purchase history allows companies like Apple to build up a profile of your habits. Not only can they use that data to target their own products at you, they can sell it to others to help them target you too (it’d be fascinating to know exactly what deal Apple has cut with Visa and Mastercard, and how much information the credit card companies are going to share with the tech giant).[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 12 of 16
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see it didn't take long for the UK media to start spreading misinformation about ?Pay. image

Wow, that's unbelievable, thanks for the link.

• Reply 13 of 16
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I see it didn't take long for the UK media to start spreading misinformation about ?Pay. :rolleyes:

Post a comment on the blog. I have.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see it didn't take long for the UK media to start spreading misinformation about ?Pay. image

Quote:

Knowing your purchase history allows companies like Apple to build up a profile of your habits. Not only can they use that data to target their own products at you, they can sell it to others to help them target you too (it’d be fascinating to know exactly what deal Apple has cut with Visa and Mastercard, and how much information the credit card companies are going to share with the tech giant).

Yes. I always make a concerted effort to NEVER click on any Apple articles from UK news outlets. It's a country so steeped in yellow journalism. (yep, even worse than US).

It's like National Enquirer style of journalism is legitimized over there.

• Reply 15 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »

This misinformed chap should receive a reply from each and every one of us to set him straight. ????
  • Reply 16 of 16
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Yes. I always make a concerted effort to NEVER click on any Apple articles from UK news outlets. It's a country so steeped in yellow journalism. (yep, even worse than US).

It's like National Enquirer style of journalism is legitimized over there.

I wouldn't say that's true at all, quite the opposite. What is different is that each publication has their own "bias" and there are multiple publications available to every person in the country regardless location, whereas in the US you are stuck with your local paper (usually conservative drivel), or USA Today (gasp!), or something like the NYTimes (other side of gasp!) - in reality, there are no (so to speak) national publications and certainly no spectrum of views. In the UK, while there may be some regional variations, they are all national publications and they cover the entire spectrum. What this means is that in each location you have a choice of publications, based on what "slant" you want. It's not the case in the US where your choice is dictated for you and you take what you are offered or you get nothing.

Discourse here in the UK, especially in print, is far greater than in the US, plus for broadcast since the BBC (though far from perfect) doesn't have to deal with advertisers or other corporate or other such sponsors, who we all know control editorial, news is far less censored than in the US and thus I have found, the standard is much higher than in the US. I'm actually constantly amazed when I speak with my friends in the US the huge number of stories that go simply unreported or, even worse, misreported, yet are simple staples for us living in the UK.

Not sure where you got that impression, but for me it simply doesn't ring as true.