Lawsuit targets Apple for directing 'iWatch' Google searches to Apple Watch page

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    anome wrote: »
    There was a lot of excitement about Android in tech circles before it really became "mainstream". Before anyone actually had anything running it on the market, even. Not that implausible that they would have picked it as their OS. And wasn't there an early Android watch that came out before Android Wear was announced?

I'm giving them as much benefit of the doubt as I can, but they still don't come out as winners. Or particularly ethical. The "i" was either an attempt to trade on Apple's name, or an attempt to get Apple to buy them off.
    Sony had the Liveview wearable in 2010. Perhaps that's what you're remembering?
  • Reply 42 of 51
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Or pretty much any product with a lower case "i" at the start since the original iMac and iPod... That's what, 1998ish?

Pretty much. That's my point. It's crazy, right?
  • Reply 43 of 51
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    How about Apple simply buys that whole company then fires everyone in it.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    According to ars tech, [I]"While some companies got irked by others buying ads keyed to their names, none of them succeeded in getting a judgment against Google in court."[/I] so I can't see how this can stand up. At the very least it would have to wait till the iWatch from probendi materialises, which we all know will not happen.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Someone should trademarmk [SIZE=4]i*[/SIZE] and corner the market.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

Apple would have to make an offer that is accepted by whatever people or firms have ownership. What you're suggesting is to counter a lawsuit by offering an even higher payout. What about that sounds like a good idea?

• Reply 47 of 51
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Depends on who is adding the keywords. If I read it correctly, Apple set up keywords including iWatch.

However, any company that, since 2007 (conservatively), adds a lowercase "i" to a product to name it, clearly are trying to use the Apple halo.

You talking about me????

• Reply 48 of 51

It's clear for anyone since 2004 that Apple would want to put "i" in front of a device. iWatch and iTablet were foreseeable -- and likely we have an iPad because someone jumped on Tablet. What does it cost a squatter company to invest $700 into a laundry list of "i" and wait to rake in millions?

The current strategy seems to me, to see if they can get an angel investor that might actually want to market a product under the iWatch moniker -- which is the only way this lawsuit might become troublesome. But they clearly aren't that bright as far as name squatters go for not at least re-selling someone's craptastic electronic watch. $100,000 in shipping orders would have done wonders.

The "Apple" + device convention may come into trouble as soon as Apple starts getting into horticulture. Apple Tree for instance, is taken. God has it, but Disney has a good case for a lawsuit. They managed to get Herr Maus for themselves. /s

• Reply 49 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

That would be a dangerous precedent. They want to hurt the OWNERS, not the workers -- if there are any workers, that is.

You don't buy the company until the last minute, after it has tried to compete with the behemoth for a few years. That's the way Microsoft used to steal IP. After the stock would inevitably tank to junk, THEN they'd buy it and fire everyone.

• Reply 50 of 51
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John Parkinson View Post

As if they registered iWatch for any original reason other than trying to beat Apple to the trademark.

I bet some people out there have registered many other "i-stuff" just to wait for the fortune coming someday.