Mozilla adds every version of Flash to default Firefox blocklist

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course Google keeps track of your browsing history unless you turn it off (which you can do). That's the typical default on most browsers isn't it?

I don't know. I understand the concept of cookies, and Safari has a "private mode" but I'm fairly sure Safari doesn't phone home to Apple. I trust Apple. I don't trust Google.

Anyone actually know if a browsing history is sent to Google so they can (presumably) target ads (or who know what else?)

• Reply 22 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    eightzero wrote: »
    I don't know. I understand the concept of cookies, and Safari has a "private mode" but I'm fairly sure Safari doesn't phone home to Apple. I trust Apple. I don't trust Google.

Anyone actually know if a browsing history is sent to Google so they can (presumably) target ads (or who know what else?)
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114836?hl=en

EDIT: Did that answer your questions/concerns?
  • Reply 23 of 38
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Anyone know if Microsoft silverlight is any different?
  • Reply 24 of 38
    I don't know. I understand the concept of cookies, and Safari has a "private mode" but I'm fairly sure Safari doesn't phone home to Apple.

Doesn't Safari sync across devices now? Doesn't it offer auto-complete for web queries? Seems that would require "phoning home".
  • Reply 25 of 38
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    stourque wrote: »
    Anyone know if Microsoft silverlight is any different?

Don't bother, me-too Silverlight is already dead, like most of MS products.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114836?hl=en

EDIT: Did that answer your questions/concerns?

Thanks, but I don't know. I didn't see an option that says "send browser history to google" that I could uncheck.

There is a CP called "little snitch" I think that can be tailored, but I haven't used it in a while.

• Reply 27 of 38
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

Now if the Browsers can just do away with MS Silverlight.

• Reply 28 of 38
    Thanks, but I don't know. I didn't see an option that says "send browser history to google" that I could uncheck.

There is a CP called "little snitch" I think that can be tailored, but I haven't used it in a while.
    I use Ghostery which accomplishes the same purpose of avoiding data collection and targeted ads from EVERYONE rather than just Google and with less effort than Little Snitch IMO.

As for deleting and stopping your search history I don't' know why you'd have a problem in finding it. in Google settings I linked for you. Apparently you're looking for a literal "Don't send search to Google"? :???:
  • Reply 29 of 38

It's interest to go back 5 years and read articles like this:

http://betanews.com/2010/04/29/steve-jobs-thoughts-on-flash-is-just-smoke/

And specially read the comments, almost everybody thought Steve was wrong, incredible to see how people argues in favor of something that 5 years ago was clearly going down.

• Reply 30 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Looks like Google has updated Chrome to fix the Flash vulnerability. No longer blocking.

• Reply 31 of 38
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

for me flash was a pain in the arse years ago and needed to go. apple may not be right about everything (right click mouse?) but i enjoy that they are willing to bung awful, legacy, security ridden apps into the rubbish bin.

• Reply 32 of 38
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew Craven View Post

Apple waged a war on flash years ago... They don't go for quick victories, but damn do they win! Lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

It's clear that Steve Jobs was completely right about Flash.

He had far more understanding of the field than the combined press and hordes of self proclaimed computer experts.

Cudos to him.

You tools do realise that Safari on OS X supports Flash, right?

• Reply 33 of 38
    gtbuzz wrote: »
    Now if the Browsers can just do away with MS Silverlight.

They already did. I'm pretty sure that MS already gave an end of life for Silverlight.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RicardoK View Post

It's interest to go back 5 years and read articles like this:

http://betanews.com/2010/04/29/steve-jobs-thoughts-on-flash-is-just-smoke/

And specially read the comments, almost everybody thought Steve was wrong, incredible to see how people argues in favor of something that 5 years ago was clearly going down.

Betanews was and still is a Microsoft friendly website. They've been around for a long time, and fileforum (distributed lots of Windows software) is their partner site. Lots of commenters there are Windows fans. You'd have to dig a little deeper to find an example of real media bias against Apple on Steve Job's article. Unless my memory is messing with me, his article was criticized roundly by Windows fans/Android fans but mostly agreed upon in the tech media. The problem of the time was that flash was so ubiquitous that people couldn't stream TV shows and other stuff through mobile Safari. This was around the time that content providers were allowing PCs and Laptops to watch their shows free, but disallowing mobile users (wanted iTunes revenue). Which was made easier with no flash support on iPhone. Android phones tended to fair better with flash and a few manipulations with the browser.

Flash was still awful, killed battery, heated up the phone and slowed everything down. Apple wasn't wrong with their decision. But no doubt there were growing pains.  It's a much different world now and HTML5 is king.

Personally I can't remove flash from my Macbook/Tablet. Really savvy tech sites have moved to HTML5, but not everyone. It's still like 40/60 in favor of flash.

• Reply 35 of 38
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

Personally I can't remove flash from my Macbook/Tablet. Really savvy tech sites have moved to HTML5, but not everyone. It's still like 40/60 in favor of flash.

I have a new rule: If a site requires flash it doesn't exist. It's worked so far. Eventually they'll get the message.

• Reply 36 of 38

Steve Jobs was wrong. Flash was amazing all those years ago. It's only this year that it developed a serious issue. /s

• Reply 37 of 38
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

You tools do realise that Safari on OS X supports Flash, right?

Wrong, Safari supports plugins not Flash perse.

But you could say that Safari tries to mitigate the Flash threat by running it in a sandbox.

• Reply 38 of 38
    charles1charles1 Posts: 78member
    Quote:

Firefox users awoke Tuesday to an update that blocks every version of Adobe's Flash Player from running

Hey I never saw any update like that. It took me a few seconds to realize why: I uninstalled Flash a long time ago.

Flash breaks the web. It destroys the fundamental concept of HTML: separation of content from presentation. Even in the earliest browsers, users had control over the way web pages displayed. You could change the fonts, sizes, hell you could make everything appear in Comic Sans 72 point if you wanted. This is why Flash was originally created, designers wanted to override user preferences and force browsers to display content the way the designer wanted it.

This is the only reason Flash still exists today. The only sites that I see using Flash are video sites that require you to watch TV commercials before their content. You can't force them to watch advertisements on HTML5 compliant devices, you can skip them manually, the users regained control of the presentation.

The very last Flash sites I use are video. I get a plugin-missing error. But you can usually override that and watch the video anyway, in Safari at least. It is called User Agent Spoofing. Enable the Develop menu in Safari, and when you see the plugin error, go to the Develop>User Agent menu and select an iOS device like the iPad. Now the server thinks you are using an iPad, and will serve you HTML5 video. So they really DO have HTML5-compliant video ready. Why isn't it the FIRST choice? Flash at most should be only a fallback option, not the primary choice.