Apple issues first betas of iOS 8.4.1, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 to developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
While iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan aren't set to launch to the public until this fall, there will be interim updates in the forms of iOS 8.4.1 and OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 to address bugs and security issues.

Apple Music

The first betas of iOS 8.4.1 and OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 were supplied to developers by Apple on Tuesday. Both are minor updates, intended to improve stability, compatibility and security.

The new beta of OS X Yosemite is identified as build 14F6a, while iOS 8.4.1 is build 12H304.

iOS 8.4 launched on June 30, bringing with it a redesigned Music app with support for Apple Music and Beats 1 radio. In just over a week, it achieved a 40 percent adoption rate on iOS devices.

That same day, Apple also released OS X Yosemite 10.10.4, fixing issues related to Mail, Photos, and "discoveryd."

iOS 9 is expected to launch in September, ahead of new iPhone hardware, while OS X 10.11 El Capitan will likely launch sometime thereafter. Both are available to test in the form of public betas, though bugs and issues remain in prerelease software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

The 9.0 beta may be buggy, but it's a buggy I can tolerate. 8.4 just reintroduced all the bugs from 8.0 and 8.1 with new ones to keep them company.

• Reply 2 of 17
    Exactly. Why bother with 8.4 when 8.4.1 is going to fix the bugs?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Exactly. Why bother with 8.4 when 8.4.1 is going to fix the bugs?

Because. Enterprise customers. They update a lot slower than you'd think. 

• Reply 4 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The 9.0 beta may be buggy, but it's a buggy I can tolerate. 8.4 just reintroduced all the bugs from 8.0 and 8.1 with new ones to keep them company.

Can you provide us a specific list of these bugs, both old and new? I'm honestly curious, as both my iPhone and iPad have been rock solid with 8.4 and I haven't noticed a single issue. 

• Reply 5 of 17
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    If 8.4.1 does anything besides patch the latest jailbreak, I'll be jaw drop amazed.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

For me, iOS 8.4 has been a step back overall.

Since iOS 8.3, using Safari has made my phone heat up noticeably, and iOS 8.4 does nothing to fix that.

The Music app made my user-defined radio stations practically unusable in the car by throwing all of them into the "Recently Played" pile. The stations now show up in tiny print, and in a different order every time I start the Music app. I used to treat my iTunes Radio stations like presets, and had them in a specific order so that I could switch to certain stations without taking my eyes off the road. I get that Apple's trying to ramp up adoption for Apple Music. But, the new radio feature is an absolute mess and having Beats One in such a prominent location just pisses me off when I'm fumbling around trying to find the station I actually want.

And now the Maps app has become unstable as well. For over a year, I've used Maps exclusively and it has worked quite well for me. Since updating to 8.4, Maps has crashed 3 times while doing turn-by-turn navigation. And the app keeps crashing if I restart the app, or even restart the phone. The only workaround is to instruct Siri to find another destination, then it will finally clear out the prior data.

And just yesterday, while trying to find information about an oncoming traffic jam, I found that the traffic indicators had disappeared. Tried toggling the show/hide traffic button, and restarting the app. Nothing worked. Wound up restarting my phone, and the traffic data finally showed.

• Reply 7 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Notice we always hear from the outliers when articles like this one get posted. Meanwhile the vast majority of us, me included, see constant improvements in reliability, function, features and the like. It always gets better. Of course the majority has to suffer through all the protestations of the perpetually borked crowd, the reliance on Google ‘hits’ and Discussion Forum ‘views’ to prove the universality of the borking.

One thing I love in particular is the, “Did it fix my bug which has been around for years?” when no such bug is mentioned in the release notes. Another is the, “Nothing worked to fix this so I restarted my device and now it works” lament.
  • Reply 8 of 17

The only thing I noticed is when using search for say Etrade it will bring up the website but not list my app, this was a previous problem, and was corrected, but is back again.

• Reply 9 of 17
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    8 has just been less stable than prior versions. hoping that 9 will fix many stability issues.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

8 has just been less stable than prior versions. hoping that 9 will fix many stability issues.

Nonsense, baloney. For you personally maybe, not the majority of users. It’s perfectly stable for the rest of us.

Nine iPhones (5’s and 6’s) in the extended family. Nobody is reporting stability issues or problems and I would be the first to know.

• Reply 11 of 17
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nonsense, baloney. For you personally maybe, not the majority of users. It’s perfectly stable for the rest of us.

Nice to know that someone has spoken to all of "the rest of us." If things are "perfectly stable" then why is a version 8.4.1 being issued?

Since iOS 8.1.1 came out, every successive version of iOS 8 indeed made my phone faster and more stable. But, 8.4 has been a step backwards in my case. I've already submitted bug reports to Apple, and topics like this SHOULD BE places where issues get reported. If I'm the only one reporting specific issues, then I'm fine with my case being an "outlier." But, if others experience similar issues, then I would be curious to monitor whether 8.4.1 addresses them.

• Reply 12 of 17
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Nice to know that someone has spoken to all of "the rest of us." If things are "perfectly stable" then why is a version 8.4.1 being issued?

Like what happened to me:

1. Complain Apple Watch 3rd party apps are slow and laggy

2. They attack, claiming I don't have an Apple Watch

3. Post video showing Apple Watch is slow and laggy

4. I must have bad Internet

5. Post speedtest results showing I have 750 Mbps speeds

6. I should have factory restored and started with a new Apple ID

I swear I heard the "reformat and reinstall" line when dealing with a certain Microcomputer Software vendor.

• Reply 13 of 17
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can you provide us a specific list of these bugs, both old and new? I'm honestly curious, as both my iPhone and iPad have been rock solid with 8.4 and I haven't noticed a single issue. 

Excessive battery drain with 8.4 that did not exist on 8.3, both on iPad Air and iPhone 6 Plus.  Rolled back the iPhone 6 Plus to 8.3 and no more excessive battery drain.  I had a problem with photos not deleting on the iPad Air so it is now stuck with 8.4 on the restore, no thanks to Apple killing off 8.3.  So the iPad suffers from battery drain.

• Reply 14 of 17
    sleakajsleakaj Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Completely wrong.

7.0 (and it's minor revisions) was THE worst iOS has ever been. Constant Safari crashing and rebooting of the springboard. Wasn't fixed until 7.1 about 6 months later.

iOS 8 has been leaps and bounds more stable than 7.0.

• Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Notice we always hear from the outliers when articles like this one get posted.

That's always the case. However, I wouldn't say that @Woochifer is one of those guys. He seems to have genuine concerns/ issues. I just base this off my memories of his posts. They never seemed trollish to me.

• Reply 16 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Excessive battery drain with 8.4 that did not exist on 8.3, both on iPad Air and iPhone 6 Plus.  Rolled back the iPhone 6 Plus to 8.3 and no more excessive battery drain.  I had a problem with photos not deleting on the iPad Air so it is now stuck with 8.4 on the restore, no thanks to Apple killing off 8.3.  So the iPad suffers from battery drain.

How utterly convenient you're having issues with 8.4, since for as long as I can remember, you've been shitting on pretty much everything Apple has done, and every single piece of software they released, and every single decision they've made. Why do known trolls always seem to have the worst luck with all Apple products?

• Reply 17 of 17
    fdogfdog Posts: 7member

For some reason not getting 10.10.5 dev beta to show up in App Store.  Never had problem with dev betas before...