Google, US government launch plan to bring Fiber service to public housing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

That's because what we have now is Government created Monopolies!!!  You let me know when we have Comcast, TWC and others in the SAME town offering services and competing against each other.  We don't have that!!!

A good reason as any to deregulate cable and telephone (including cellular) providers. Let any competitors join the fray and fight for consumer dollars. Legislation like Net Neutrality forces companies into mergers in order to provide economies of scale, thus increasing the likelihood of new monopolies (local and national) forming.

• Reply 42 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    jbdragon wrote: »

That's because what we have now is Government created Monopolies!!!  You let me know when we have Comcast, TWC and others in the SAME town offering services and competing against each other.  We don't have that!!!

So, in which developed country is cable competition different? And if it's not, his question is, why is it worse -- more expensive and slower speeds -- in the U.S. than in many other countries?
  • Reply 43 of 63
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Once again Google skates to where the money isn't...!
    It doesn't always have to be "how much money is in it for me" does it? Sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

If you don't get what I'm meaning, I have a barge or two to sell you.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm... Can you (or one of the two guys that upvoted you) tell me what the taxation and conflict of interest implications are? And the privacy repercussions that would be any more onerous than they currently are?

Good luck. Cynicism and laziness go hand in hand.

Take some prior loosely connected story bites, poorly tie it together with unrelated events, then act all haughty and dismissive on a message board. Perfect recipe for most people posting here.

Dash in some welfare bashing

Mix in some tea party ideology

Man that's a whole lot of work and tight rope walking to just pretend that all this is nothing more than people screaming in their heads: "I FUCKING HATE GOOGLE, I DO NOT CARE WHAT THEY DO, OR WILL EVER DO, I JUST REALLY, REALLY HATE GOOGLE"

• Reply 45 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    As part of the agreement to provide television over fiber with the City Council of NYC Verizon has installed FiOS in the public housing buildings.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

right, the government known for outlandish, unnecessary, bit to bit snooping is teaming up with the company that gobbles up bit to bit from its customers.

i bet after this deal the gov't can turn on the camera on your laptop without you knowing.

• Reply 47 of 63
    junior99junior99 Posts: 24member

Symbiotic relationship. Public-private deals often work very well. 

• Reply 48 of 63

Tyler Durdan had the wrong idea. He should have blown up the Google Data centers!

• Reply 49 of 63
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It doesn't always have to be "how much money is in it for me" does it? Sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

And it's especially right when they can track your online activity and spit ads for credit cards at people who can't afford them.

• Reply 50 of 63
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Well, it would be nice if the smaller towns in GA and other States had competing internet providers. We are stuck with Cable or DSL and that is the limit of competition. 1 Cable provider and 1 land line provider who are milking the people financially. Satellite is not a bad TV provider, but that still leaves the dilemma of high prices or slow high priced internet. No competition is not good. But with that said, I would love to have and pay for Google fiber to my house.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Good for Google--supporting their android customer base. It's a win-win.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Once again Google skates to where the money isn't...!

Yeah, lord knows Walmart doesn't make any money off of them.

• Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

i bet after this deal the gov't can turn on the camera on your laptop without you knowing.

Have you signed up for Old Glory Robot Insurance yet? Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.

• Reply 54 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    [SIZE=16px]Once again Google skates to where the money isn't...![/SIZE]

Yeah, lord knows Walmart doesn't make any money off of them.

It's not from a lack of business. Not everyone can make money like Apple.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Anyone has FREE access to the public library that the taxpayers already pay for.  Where you can get your FREE Books, Free DVD Movies, Free Computer Access with FREE Internet service.  Along with any number of other FREE things!!!  What's next, we the taxpayers have to pay for their FREE Home computers to use that internet service?   All this free crap is just Government stealing from one group to then give it away to another group.    Worse is all the fraud that's happening.  They don't care, it's not their money, it's the taxpayers and just more where that came from!!!

I think I figured it out, libraries are racist because you need an I.D. to get a library card so there goes that option...  [/sarcasm]

• Reply 56 of 63
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Oh, give me a break. This is probably no better or worse than what you implicitly sign on to if you got yourself a Gmail account. If people want something for free, they're going to have to give up something. Is it any different for anyone or anywhere else?

Moreover, given the likely demographic that this is serving, are you even remotely suggesting there's money in it for Google? You can't be serious.

Give us a break. These are the very reasons I don't use ANY google products with the exception of occasionally YouTube when I'm forced to because companies are too lazy or stupid to host their own videos. And I made no such suggestion that Google is going to make money off this program, but the reality is that they will make some money as they sell your data for advertising and that comes along with the service whether you want it or not. Since we don't know the exact agreement with the government on covering infrastructure and services costs, there isn't much to be said until we have that info. So why don't you drop your arrogance and give everyone a break as you are becoming very tiresome.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    junior99 wrote: »
    Symbiotic relationship. Public-private deals often work very well. 

...especially when lobbyists and government regulators are involved. They are always looking out for the people's best interest. /s
  • Reply 58 of 63
    freerange wrote: »
    Oh, give me a break. This is probably no better or worse than what you implicitly sign on to if you got yourself a Gmail account. If people want something for free, they're going to have to give up something. Is it any different for anyone or anywhere else?

Moreover, given the likely demographic that this is serving, are you even remotely suggesting there's money in it for Google? You can't be serious.

Give us a break. These are the very reasons I don't use ANY google products with the exception of occasionally YouTube when I'm forced to because companies are too lazy or stupid to host their own videos. And I made no such suggestion that Google is going to make money off this program, but the reality is that they will make some money as they sell your data for advertising and that comes along with the service whether you want it or not. Since we don't know the exact agreement with the government on covering infrastructure and services costs, there isn't much to be said until we have that info. So why don't you drop your arrogance and give everyone a break as you are becoming very tiresome.

As my posting record will show, I am no Google fan.

Can you produce any reasonable evidence you have of Google colluding with government -- even in the past -- any more than any others (including Apple) or is it just another paranoid right-wing fantasy with which guys like you regularly pollute the forum?
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

the reality is that they will make some money as they sell your data for advertising

Time for the daily: Google doesn't sell the data they collect. They leverage it to sell other stuff.

• Reply 60 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As my posting record will show, I am no Google fan.

Can you produce any reasonable evidence you have of Google colluding with government -- even in the past -- any more than any others (including Apple) or is it just another paranoid right-wing fantasy with which guys like you regularly pollute the forum?

It must be a "paranoid left-wing fantasy" that anyone who presents an opposing view is "right-wing"...because obviously there can only be two-sides to any issue. /s