iPod nano, iPod shuffle won't sync offline Apple Music tracks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    ihanifihanif Posts: 3member
    The iPod, which has now been made and worth buying this model

Our website is Apple's Reference in iRan .

http://Appleinc.asia
  • Reply 22 of 41
    ihanifihanif Posts: 3member
    The iPod, which has now been made and worth buying this model

Our website is Apple's Reference in iRan .

http://Appleinc.asia
  • Reply 23 of 41
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    slurpy wrote: »
    OBVIOUSLY you can't sync cached music to a non-Internet enabled device- that's by design, it's not some kind of issue. How does it authenticate the device under your account? You people want all the benefits of streaming, while retaining all the previous conventions and advantages of purchased tracks? Seriously, try to understand why things work the way they do.

I know it really doesn't exist anymore but the Zune was able to do all this.

"If you are using a Zune Pass, you must connect your Zune device to your PC with the Zune software every 30 days or the license will expire and none of the music will play (except for owned MP3's).... remember, Zune Pass is a rental, not a purchase, only the songs you purchase for points or credits are yours to keep and will keep playing after the 30 days."

So it CAN be done if Apple wanted it to be done.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

"If you are using a Zune Pass, you must connect your Zune device to your PC with the Zune software every 30 days or the license will expire and none of the music will play (except for owned MP3's).... remember, Zune Pass is a rental, not a purchase, only the songs you purchase for points or credits are yours to keep and will keep playing after the 30 days."

The Zune is dead and so is Zune Pass.  The record labels, who have distribution rights, are the ones who decide if they want it to be done.  In this case, they may have said no deal, keeping a tighter restriction on the DRM for streaming content.

• Reply 25 of 41
    lilsmirklilsmirk Posts: 38member
    sirlance99 wrote: »

You literally stole my words. Couldn't have said it better.
    To resume, the workarounds to protect cached content from unlimited offline use are at least 2:
    1. Set a limit to offline plays.
    2. Set a block to cached content at the end of each billing period.

Easy peasy. This whole DRM stuff seems just a blatant excuse to me.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    justinpejustinpe Posts: 32member
    "...it's presumably a form of copy protection, since in theory a person could sync music with a Nano or Shuffle, cancel Apple Music, and keep the tracks forever, so long as they don't sync with their iTunes library."

What would prevent someone from doing that even with DRM?

Also, this is the way it works with iTunes Match. You can't sync songs to a device without having the files on your machine.
  • Reply 27 of 41

I feel that the iPod Nano and the iPod Shuffle are for the people who still solely purchase their music and who only want to play it offline. Apparently, Apple is still seeing a market for this type of use to release these devices that are not compatible with their music revolution. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Apple Music service but offline playback on my iPod Shuffle while working out is still a must for me. Beats 1 allows me to check out new music that I can purchase but I just wish I still had access to saving Connect content and the new music recommendations without a monthly subscription. I know, the $9.99/$14.99 monthly fee helps to pay for those features but maybe they could offer a discount for a plan that gives you everything but the ability to saving songs/albums to my devices? 

• Reply 28 of 41
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

...and the hits just keep not happenin'

• Reply 29 of 41
    In all reality this isn't that big of a deal but I'm waiting for the tech press to make it into one because Apple....

Starting with AppleInsider...
  • Reply 30 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

....and the excuses for Apple never end.

So what’s your solution, genius-stein?

• Reply 31 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Other tech sites have been discussing this issue and some thoughts appear to be worth investigating. Apparently the Zune used to make the user connect at least once every thirty days to verify a valid subscription. Apple could allow syncing to the Nano and Shuffle but require a connection to iTunes every so often to validate the sunscription. If you don’t connect to iTunes in the allotted time period the music stops playing. When you do connect to iTunes your subscription is checked, and if canceled, the music stops playing.

• Reply 32 of 41

I think having to connect to verify account is not Apple's style.

Look, Apple Music is designed to allow those people with internet connections to listen to music, and yes there is a limited offline feature, but it must be limited, otherwise the music companies could lose their music.

There are of course workarounds but all workarounds create another bigger problem, that is it is basically not how people use ipods.  I want to put my music on my ipod and forget about it.  Just use it, until I have to sync new music again.  It needs to be simple and "just work" with some sort of logic that the average user can understand. 

• Reply 33 of 41
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justinpe View Post

"...it's presumably a form of copy protection, since in theory a person could sync music with a Nano or Shuffle, cancel Apple Music, and keep the tracks forever, so long as they don't sync with their iTunes library."

What would prevent someone from doing that even with DRM?

Also, this is the way it works with iTunes Match. You can't sync songs to a device without having the files on your machine.

Once you cancel the service, your AppleID won't be able to play the music, just like all subscription services.  Stop paying, music stops playing, immediately.  iTunes Match is not copy protected music.

• Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I haven't tried Apple Music yet as I'm going to wait a bit after iOS9 drops to upgrade but I'm curious as to people's thoughts on it.

I've been using it from Day One and I really love it. The sense of being able to search Apple's vast music library and play just about anything is a real advantage.

There are albums I really wanted to listen to, which I was wary of blind-buying. Now I can listen to the entire thing with my subscription.

I think the complaints with Apple Music (botched metadata, busy UI, no clear separation between what you own and what you've rented, etc.) are pretty small in comparison to what is actually offered. In the few days that I have been using it, I've discovered new bands and songs I wouldn't have otherwise heard and liked.

With respect to the Radio, I don't tune in much. Beats One is mostly hip-hop and rap whenever I tune in. They are not genres I listen to. The other radio stations are pretty nice, but I generally search and pick songs I want to listen to and create playlists.

Another thing I also love are the playlists created by music magazines like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork. They come up with nice songs and themed playlists, which are great to listen to.

Apple also has curated Playlists and they do a great job covering regional music (film music is very big here).

Connect is ok. I've disabled the auto-follow option and only follow a few bands and singers, so not much there just yet. 

Overall, it's like giving a kid the keys to the candy store, telling him he can have anything and everything.

One thing though, I will be paying the equivalent of $3 for a family subscription, so the cost isn't a deciding factor as far as I'm concerned.

• Reply 35 of 41
    jezejeze Posts: 1member

Whilst I like the look and concept of Apple Music this a real issue for me. I already have a large music library and have subscribed to iTunes Match so can access my music from my iPhone iPad Macbook and iTunes off a Windows PC or Apple TV. The majority of my music listening though is in my car. I have a 16GB iPod nano plugged into the sound system and sync with iTunes every few weeks.

So lets say I ditch buying albums and sign up for Apple Music. I can't listen to any of those songs in the car. I don't believe that the OS on the iPod could not be updated in some way to prevent me playing apple music songs after I had cancelled a subscription. I am going to sync with iTunes every few weeks anyway. As somebody suggested maybe limit number of plays for Apple Music songs in between syncing with iTunes.

As it stands, this is a dealbreaker for me so unless things change at the end of the free period I'm out!

• Reply 36 of 41

I've been shifting over to the iTunes/AppleMusic experience over the years and have been heavily using iTunes Match. I complimented it with Rhapsody, which I could play on non-Apple devices, and would love to consolidate all my playlists with a single service such as Apple Music but: (1) the iTunes desktop app was buggy upon release of the Apple Music service, although they've fixed some of the issues with the latest update; (2) there are some people prefer running or working out with a device like a shuffle rather than running with an $800 phone strapped to their body; (3) I agree with those who advocate a fix whereby your shuffle can verify your subscription to iTunes music by simply requiring you to plug it into your computer once a week; (4) the problem is actually much worse -- because I couldn't sync Apple subscription based music to my shuffle, I tried to purchase the music from the iTunes store, which didn't work.  Apparently, once  you "add" music to your library or playlist from the Apple subscription service, the option of purchasing the music disappears.  I've been on the phone with Apple service twice and they are looking into the issue.

• Reply 37 of 41

I am just fighting with this problem (apple music on my Ipod nano). First a lot of problems when syncing my music directory with apple music and now this :(

I really like the service itself but this is rather sad. Are there any workaround for ipod nano or could u think of anything? 

I was planning to keep subscribing but if this will not work for me..

• Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple Music tracks are rented music, so the device or computer must 'phone home' in order to play the tracks.  The Nano and Shuffle do not require an Apple ID and they cannot 'phone home'.  The new DRM in Apple Music is much more restrictive than the previous DRM with purchased tracks.  You have to pay to play and not many people like that model of music consumption.

It is highly unlikely that Apple would try to automatically delete downloaded Apple Music tracks from a person's library when they discontinue the Music service.  That would be disastrous considering how Apple totally screwed the pooch on the rollout of Apple Music in which libraries were completely corrupted in the process.  What would likely occur would be similar to a Mac being de-authorized from the iTunes Store and the old-style DRM purchased tracks refused to play.  I would imagine when someone cancels their Apple Music subscription and tries to play a downloaded Apple Music file, it would refuse to play, and the user could delete those tracks on their own.

Of course if someone wanted to save those files forever, all they have to do is connect two Macs or an iOS device to a Mac through the sound out to sound in and use a sound editing program to play from iTunes and record the track in realtime, old style.  Then reconvert the track to AAC.  It won't be an exact digital copy and you would be degrading the track again with a reconversion to AAC, but it could be done.  Buying the CD used on Amazon for a few bucks is a better way to do it.

That is the real old school way ;) It is almost as recording radio on tape (some 150 years ago :p). I was having the same idea yesterday but I didn't do it quite as old school. I used a trial version of a special software to capture Apple Music (http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_stream_capture_music_videos_movies_from/apple_itunes.html) and I had some nice results. On the other hand if I truly wanted some cd of an artist I should spend the bucks to buy it and I still do that occasionally. The problem is that streaming music has spoiled me with way to much music and I was expecting apple to make it possible for me to listen to some songs offline on ipod. I mean the usage of DRM is explainable but as Apple was one of the deepest opponents of DRM usage when they entered the music market it is also kind of ironic...

• Reply 39 of 41
    Whenever you try to sync offline Apple Music tracks to an iPod nano/shuffle/classic, you'll meet this disappointing message: "Apple Music songs cannot be copied to an iPod."
    Why?It all because of the DRM protection. But as long as you can remove the DRM and convert Apple Music songs to MP3, you are no long be restricted to listen to Apple Music on iPods. 
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Wayne8Wayne8 Posts: 1member
    I use TuneFab Apple Music Converter to sync Apple Music from iTunes to iPod Nano/ Shuffle. It is helpful!