iOS 9 tips: Access Apple Pay's Wallet without unlocking your iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    blah64 wrote: »
    Mel, I'm shocked and disappointed in this comment. I respect you a lot, and I know you're a smart, worldly guy. If there was one person here on this board that I'd want to meet in person it would be you (though we're on opposite coasts). So to see you paraphrase the old "If you're not doing something wrong, you shouldn't have anything to hide" spiel is really sad. That concept has been attacked and beaten down ad nauseam in recent years, and it's just BS. Humanity has a right to a comfortable level of privacy. It's one of the fundamental rights that our forefathers fought for, and it's quickly being stolen from us in the guise of idiocy like "loyalty" cards, Facebook, Google, Axciom, and hundreds of other vile companies that most people have never heard of.

Do I use google, bing, yahoo or any other major (trackable) service? Hell no! What kind of hypocrite would I be if I did that! ;-) Seriously, people who use Google for search (or Bing or any non-anonymized search) these days are crazy (or at least ignorant), when other great options like DuckDuckGo and StartPage are readily available. They work very well, and I don't miss Google one bit, haven't used them for search in years.

But that's just top-line stuff. There are many levels of crap to avoid beyond that for anyone who cares one iota about their dignity these days. Google is so deeply buried in nearly everything people use online these days, it's not funny. If everyone here just added 2 lines to their /etc/hosts file, life would be better:

127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
    127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com

Even that's just a tiny start, but so easy.

Back to the pre-internet comment. Yes, you're right, of course, this has happened for decades, but it was nearly harmless due to the incredibly weak linkage. Now, nearly everything is tied together. It's exactly the "more ubiquitous and sophisticated now" part that makes it bad. Indeed, many people don't care, but most people just don't have any understanding of how broadly and deeply they are being data mined. There have been some great studies/simulations where people act out in real life, asking the same kinds of questions that are being data mined every hour of people's lives online, and most people are really uncomfortable giving up this kind of information. It's just hidden from them.

Thanks for the positive comments, but I really can't agree with most of the rest.

While, in theory, I don't like the idea of being tracked, I do understand that this has become a way of life. Like it or not, most people really don't care. All we have to do is to look at Facebook or some other similar service to see that people are not just happy, no matter how embarrassing their lives may be, but thrilled, to put their entire lives out for all to see.

A small minority isn't happy, but most let Google and others, get their info anyway. A smaller group is more paranoid about it.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, or even that I agree with it, but truthfully, why are you that worried? You know that the Constitution only guarantees our privacy in first class mail, and when you're in your home, with the windows covered. In the older days, everyone knew what you were doing almost all the time, and that's why it's not covered in the Constitution. They could never know things would be this different and invasive today.

I'm in favor of laws that would restrict this, but guess how easy that would be after 9/11?
  • Reply 22 of 57
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I'm not seeing the new feature here.

Today I went to Subway, woke up my still-locked phone, hovered it over the NFC logo, Touch Pay asked for my fingerprint, payment completed using the default card.  All without ever unlocking the phone.  Running 8.4.

• Reply 23 of 57
    john.b wrote: »
    I'm not seeing the new feature here.

Today I went to Subway, woke up my still-locked phone, hovered it over the NFC logo, Touch Pay asked for my fingerprint, payment completed using the default card.  All without ever unlocking the phone.  Running 8.4.

The new feature is being able to look at all of your cards and loyalty cards, and choose between them without unlocking your device, which can't be done with 8.4. You're talking about just using the default card to pay.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    melgross wrote: »
    Thanks for the positive comments, but I really can't agree with most of the rest.

While, in theory, I don't like the idea of being tracked, I do understand that this has become a way of life. Like it or not, most people really don't care. All we have to do is to look at Facebook or some other similar service to see that people are not just happy, no matter how embarrassing their lives may be, but thrilled, to put their entire lives out for all to see.

A small minority isn't happy, but most let Google and others, get their info anyway. A smaller group is more paranoid about it.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, or even that I agree with it, but truthfully, why are you that worried? You know that the Constitution only guarantees our privacy in first class mail, and when you're in your home, with the windows covered. In the older days, everyone knew what you were doing almost all the time, and that's why it's not covered in the Constitution. They could never know things would be this different and invasive today.

I'm in favor of laws that would restrict this, but guess how easy that would be after 9/11?

It's interesting that you bring up Facebook. The stats I've seen show that most people are NOT happy with them, and they do NOT trust the company with their data. People continue to use their service because they feel they have no choice. Honestly, facebook has a pretty strong hold on the market, with the "network effect" being unbelievably strong, due to their size. And they're still growing, for now. At least internationally.

I've done some research of my own, via informal studies with random people, and what I found generally agrees with stuff I've read. People don't like it, but they feel stuck. I've spent the past few years researching and analyzing this stuff pretty deeply, and there's a bunch of stuff I can't talk about here, but to me, this situation means that there's an opportunity for change. I don't see it happening very soon, but I do see it happening.

As for laws after 9/11, I agree. Those in power don't want people to have any privacy, so they certainly aren't going to help.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Total BS. I've been reading articles that compare Apple's services to Google's. Apple pushes privacy, Google pushes convenience. We look at Apple's search using Siri, for example, and we read that Apple's search can't equal that of Google's, because Apple doesn't link things together the way Google does. That's because of privacy. But do those using Google care? Not really. I find that even those who protest, use their services. I also find that Apple users on these forums sometimes complain of the same lack of search ability.

You can say what you want, but you're wrong.

Do you understand what I said? The reason I ask is that your response actually makes no sense to me.

Here is what you said (with bolding for effect):

Quote:

Like it or not, most people don't care whether they're tracked, and most of those who do, pretend they aren't.

We really have to look at the world the way it is, rather than the way we want it to be. Being tracked is something that's out of the bag, and has been for some time.

Do you use Google, Bing, Yahoo or any other major service? Then you're being tracked. Don't like it? Tough!

Don't like the fact that your info is being sold? Also tough. Your info has always been sold. This goes back decades before the Internet was ever thought of. It's just more ubiquitous and sophisticated now.

Generally, it doesn't matter unless you're doing something less than above board. Otherwise, why would you even care?

I highlight the parts that scream to me "apologism." I'm not sure what about your attitude and my merely highlighting it warrants your response, because I've not said one thing about my opinion on the subject (i.e. privacy, which I think you're touching on in your response, but I'm not sure??), I'm was merely interested in the fact that you think things can't change, that it's this way, get over it, it's always been this way, yada yada yada. (all your words, not mine)

• Reply 26 of 57
    It's interesting that you bring up Facebook. The stats I've seen show that most people are NOT happy with them, and they do NOT trust the company with their data. People continue to use their service because they feel they have no choice. Honestly, facebook has a pretty strong hold on the market, with the "network effect" being unbelievably strong, due to their size. And they're still growing, for now. At least internationally.

I've done some research of my own, via informal studies with random people, and what I found generally agrees with stuff I've read. People don't like it, but they feel stuck. I've spent the past few years researching and analyzing this stuff pretty deeply, and there's a bunch of stuff I can't talk about here, but to me, this situation means that there's an opportunity for change. I don't see it happening very soon, but I do see it happening.

As for laws after 9/11, I agree. Those in power don't want people to have any privacy, so they certainly aren't going to help.

People are not being forced to use Facebook, are they? No, they most certainly are not. The fact that they choose to use it means that even if they aren't "happy" about giving away data, they are willing to do so in order to have an activity that they do want, and that is my point. After a while they forget about what they're doing there, and just do it. People put pics and video of themselves getting drunk and doing obviously dumb things. People put up nudes of themselves. They make totally asinine comments.

If they were really worried about the data being taken, would they do that? No, of course not. The fact is that even if they have some concern, when asked, in reality, they don't. Don't trust any of the "research" you've done, because people don't always tell the truth. If they know they should be concerned about privacy, they'll say so, when asked. But it's their actions that tell the true story. It's back to the old adage:

"Don't believe what I say, believe what I do." And what people do, is to give up their privacy every day, even though they say they aren't happy doing so. They are obviously happier doing what they are doing then they are unhappy about giving their privacy away.

One would think that if privacy was such a major concern, those services would never have become popular in the first place, but they have, which shows that privacy isn't such a big concern. And the younger people are, the less important it is to them. They are in a world where they tell everyone everything. Share this, and share that. That's the mantra today. Where's my friend now? Well, there's an app for that. You ask it, and people will tell it to you.
  • Reply 27 of 57

Do you understand what I said? The reason I ask is that your response actually makes no sense to me.

Here is what you said (with bolding for effect):

I highlight the parts that scream to me "apologism." I'm not sure what about your attitude and my merely highlighting it warrants your response, because I've not said one thing about my opinion on the subject (i.e. privacy, which I think you're touching on in your response, but I'm not sure??), I'm was merely interested in the fact that you think things can't change, that it's this way, get over it, it's always been this way, yada yada yada. (all your words, not mine)

If the vast majority of people don't care about something, then the small number who do are going to have a really tough time convincing that large majority that it matters to them too. I'm simply being realistic.

I did respond to what you said. The fact that you highlighted those words shows that.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to change things, but simply that it will be a very difficult thing to do. Something really serious would need to happen for that. We read of major breaches of data all the time. What's the reaction of the public at large? Yawn. Oh again? Gee, that's terrible! Let's go back to what we were doing.

We're told that Google keeps all of your data, even after you delete it? Oh well, they just use it for Ads, it doesn't matter.

Those who are paranoid about this don't get it. The vast majority of people just don't care. As long as that's true, nothing will change, except that more data will be collected. And that's why I said what I did.

I didn't say that I was happy about it.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Good points, and I sympathize (a little) with them as well, as far as fraud.

The thing is, the amount on the card is solid, and would easily be checked, just like a debit card, before letting a transaction go through, so I don't believe that's a problem. All too many people who live paycheck-to-paycheck don't keep much in the way of funds available to their debit cards, so I'm not sure this makes sense as a reason to disallow prepaids.

The fully anonymous prepaid cards work for pretty much any kind of "normal" in-person transaction where you might be able to use Apple Pay at a merchant. However, they don't work for some services, like Amazon's AWS, where monthly recurring charges are expected. And yet, some companies do allow anon prepaid for recurring charges, so I think there's a ton of variability in the system.

I'm just trying to get a handle on it, hoping that someone, somewhere, has tried it out in person. Anyone??

I'm not sure about that. Debit cards are tied to your bank, and are verified. Cards you buy in a store are not. There is no way to verify them. I also don't think that debit cards have tiny amounts on them. Even if people are strapped, they would have more in their debit account than a card they buy in a store. I don't use a debit card myself, but I would think that the bank might have some arrangement that if a purchase is slightly over what's in your account, that there could be some amount of overdraft protection, as there is in most checking accounts. There is in mine. That would take care of the immediate transaction, but would add that overdraft fee. That can't be done with a store bought card.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

If the vast majority of people don't care about something, then the small number who do are going to have a really tough time convincing that large majority that it matters to them too. I'm simply being realistic.

I did respond to what you said. The fact that you highlighted those words shows that.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to change things, but simply that it will be a very difficult thing to do. Something really serious would need to happen for that. We read of major breaches of data all the time. What's the reaction of the public at large? Yawn. Oh again? Gee, that's terrible! Let's go back to what we were doing.

We're told that Google keeps all of your data, even after you delete it? Oh well, they just use it for Ads, it doesn't matter.

Those who are paranoid about this don't get it. The vast majority of people just don't care. As long as that's true, nothing will change, except that more data will be collected. And that's why I said what I did.

I didn't say that I was happy about it.

delete pls

• Reply 30 of 57
    Now you're simply being defeatist.

No, I'm being realistic, you are either not understanding the way things are, or you have ideas of how to change things that's idealistic, and not realistic. Lots of people complain that something should be done about this, or that, but then have no idea of how to begin.

So why don't you give a good explanation of how you would change things. Explain how you would change people's thinking on this, and how you would get them to act. And don't give some really generalized concept. Because you know that saying something such as you would let them know how they are being tracked, etc., doesn't fly. That's easy to say, after all. Give a plan, in stages, as to what you would do, you must have this all thought out, or you wouldn't react the way you did to my posts.

So give us something real that you would do. How would this get funded. How much funding for this would you need! Where would the money come from? What kind of publicity campaign would you run? That's just the very beginning, of course. I'd love to know what your steps after that beginning, would be.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    konqerror wrote: »
    I went back and re-read the article, word by word, and I don't see that...

You didn't read every word or you word have clearly seen the checkmark for Prepaid Cards for both Chase and Wells Fargo in the chart screenshot pulled from Apple's old Apple Pay support page.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    konqerror wrote: »

They don't need to know your information to figure out who you are. Did you ever use a loyalty card and a credit or debit card together? Then they know your name. Knowing your name and where you live (based on the most common stores you use), they can get your address from public records (do you own a house or registered a car? signed a petition, donated to a political campaign or registered to vote?) or buy that info from somebody like Experian.

You forget, there no way for a store to track you when you use Apple Pay!!!. Sure you can use an lay card with bogus info, and there's no way for a store to link that card to your Apple Pay as the token used is different every time. Not even Apple has any info on what you did!! It's a issue some stores have not being able to track people using Apple Pay. Your not using a credit card per day using Apple Pay, but a encrypted token. A ever changing token. All they could ever track was the bogus loyalty card but not anything about you.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    hagar wrote: »
    Too bad companies need to add support for it. Will never happen in Europe, so this will be another useless feature over here.

I would love to be able to add my own loyalty cards that automatically pop up based on my location. So trivial, but still doesn't exist.

Try this app, sound like it will meet your needs and wants.
    CardStar by Constant Contact, Inc.
    https://appsto.re/us/xT-9r.i
  • Reply 34 of 57
    I'm not sure about that. Debit cards are tied to your bank, and are verified. Cards you buy in a store are not. There is no way to verify them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "verify". The only thing that needs to be verified is that there are funds available, and that can be (and is) checked in near-real time on either debit or prepaid. It sounds like you mean verify as in attaching to a real individual person/account? Greenbacks don't have that ability, and they work fine in almost all venues! :-)

I also don't think that debit cards have tiny amounts on them. Even if people are strapped, they would have more in their debit account than a card they buy in a store. I don't use a debit card myself, but I would think that the bank might have some arrangement that if a purchase is slightly over what's in your account, that there could be some amount of overdraft protection, as there is in most checking accounts. There is in mine. That would take care of the immediate transaction, but would add that overdraft fee. That can't be done with a store bought card.

I don't use debit cards either, so I don't know about overdraft. But I do know that in huge swaths of our country there are millions of people that struggle from week to week just to buy food and pay bills. They do not keep more than very tiny balances in their checking/debit accounts. It's easy to forget this part of our society, the farther away from it we get. That's why there are so many "payday loan" vultures around. :-(

Prepaid cards (like through Visa) are strange beasts. I think they're often used as gifts, but they're also wonderful tools to use when you absolutely have no choice but to use plastic, but you'd rather not be tracked around like an animal. They're just as good as cash or a debit card as far as retailers are concerned. The question I had (and still have!) is whether any of them can be attached to Apple Pay.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You didn't read every word or you word have clearly seen the checkmark for Prepaid Cards for both Chase and Wells Fargo in the chart screenshot pulled from Apple's old Apple Pay support page.

I read every word in the article, not pictures. The browser I was using earlier does not load images from most separate servers unless I force-load them.

However, you must've stopped reading my comment halfway through, or you'd have read that I found those cards and they're not simple prepaid cards, they're crap that requires creating an account with the bank. Why anyone would do that makes no sense to me, because at that point you'd just use the fricking debit card that came with your account.

Please re-read and try again. I see nothing anywhere that would allow a kid, for example, to add a prepaid card to Apple Pay on an iPhone 5s. I'd like to be able to do that, but I don't think it's possible, and I haven't heard otherwise.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    I read every word in the article, not pictures. The browser I was using earlier does not load images from most separate servers unless I force-load them.

However, you must've stopped reading my comment halfway through, or you'd have read that those are not simple prepaid cards, those are crap that requires creating an account with the bank. Why anyone would do that makes no sense to me, because at that point you'd just use the fricking debit card that came with your account.

Please re-read and try again. I see nothing anywhere that would allow a kid, for example, to add a prepaid card to Apple Pay on an iPhone 5s. I'd like to be able to do that, but I don't think it's possible, and I haven't heard otherwise.

1) The images contain text and they are part of the article. It's not as it's some background text so I do expect that to be read as part of the article. You say your browser doesn't load images, fine, but you should know that such an option is unusual and clearly it can result in not getting a good understanding of what is being stated.

2) This use of "simple prepaid cards" is both new and irrelevant based on your previous comments. You asked if Apple Pay supports prepaid card, plain and simple. I showed you that it does. To Apple Pay the type of card from MC, Visa or Amex is inconsequential. All that matters is the issuing bank supporting that card option. That's why you'll see, say, Chase supporting prepaid cards but not corporate cards, or Barclay's supporting corporate cards but not a particular airline they partner with. Again, YES, prepaid cards are supported by Apple Pay, all that matters is the issuing bank doing the back end work to allow it to be supported by Apple Pay.

3) Your comment "allow a kid" reads like you don't understand how Apple Pay or any card works, especially when you've now been shown THREE TIMES that it is possible.
    Why anyone would do that makes no sense to me, because at that point you'd just use the fricking debit card that came with your account.

You don't understand why one would want a secure and fast option for making payments using one's phone or watch

PS: Simple prepaid cards are referred to as gift cards and only work for a single store or multiple stores within a particular holding company. Those are not supported but there is also no reason that they couldn't be added to Apple Pay at some future time once Apple Pay becomes ubiquitous at such stores that use those locations.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    deleted
  • Reply 38 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    hagar wrote: »
    Too bad companies need to add support for it. Will never happen in Europe, so this will be another useless feature over here.

I would love to be able to add my own loyalty cards that automatically pop up based on my location. So trivial, but still doesn't exist.

the other month when I went to Lowe's hardware I think that's what happened -- I walked in and Passbook had my Lowe's thing on the lock screen.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    the other month when I went to Lowe's hardware I think that's what happened -- I walked in and Passbook had my Lowe's thing on the lock screen.

Fairly certain it's in the permissions you granted when you installed their app. I think you can turn that off if it's bothersome or intrusive. Other apps include the same permissions. For a list of the available ones tap Apps for Passbook under the Welcome Pass. It's a feature some will appreciate having as a convenience.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Fairly certain it's in the permissions you granted when you installed their app. I think you can turn that off if it's bothersome or intrusive. Other apps include the same permissions. For a list of the available ones tap Apps for Passbook under the Welcome Pass. It's a feature some will appreciate having as a convenience.

If we're talking about a Passbook* pass appearing on your lock screen we are talking about location services given to the Passbook* app to know where you are. Now the pass was likely created within the app but that doesn't mean the app had to have location data access on its own; it could just have default store location data that will be accessed by location after being imported into Passbook*.

* Will be referred to as Wallet come iOS 9.