How to choose between a new iPod touch and an iPad mini 3

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Anyway I brought that up because the only way I would be interested in an iPod is if it had a built in amplifier. As it stands now though it's audio quality, though okay, is nothing that stands out. No where near that of a Fiio stand alone MP3 player with a built in DAC and headphone amplifier.

If the iPod didn't have a built-in DAC and headphone amplifier, you wouldn't be able to attach headphones and listen to music. :rolleyes:

What you're saying is that you'd like this to be infused with all sorts of audiophile magic and marketing; I get it.

Now, unless the iPod has a completely different DAC from the iPhones of the last few years, its output is cleaner and more accurate than most "audiophile" standalone DAC/headphone amp combinations.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

Note that most perceived differences in audio quality are actually the result of not matching levels: a dB or two in overall volume will lead to perceived "better" sound. It is virtually impossible for a non-professional outside a laboratory setting to achieve perfect level-matching.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Further the iPod doesn't have that stand out feature, if it's meant to be a music player than I would have liked to seen Apple go after the audiophile by using a built in DAC with headphone amplifier.

As mentioned, they do — by definition. It wouldn't be able to play music if it didn't have a DAC/amp. 

And they're already among the best. 

• Reply 42 of 45
    Unless they have something in reserve, Apple missed the boat with the iPod touch refresh. A MUCH more compelling, profitable product would have been an iPod touch Plus: a larger screen, and a Touch ID button for use with Apple Pay.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,346member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

So the iPhones shouldn't be considered iPhones because they have had different screen ratios?

I don't see aspect ratio bearing any weight on what Apple would do.

If anything, Apple should make the entire iPad family 16:10/16:9 ratio to go along with everything else they make.  The iPads are actually the oddballs in the computing family.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/21/9008741/tablet-shape-aspect-ratio-ipad-android?

• Reply 44 of 45
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

Unless they have something in reserve, Apple missed the boat with the iPod touch refresh. A MUCH more compelling, profitable product would have been an iPod touch Plus: a larger screen, and a Touch ID button for use with Apple Pay.

And using what exactly to connect to the transaction servers? Your iPhone…er. Let's ponder that for a second.