FTC begins issuing subpoenas in App Store investigation triggered by Apple Music - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,191member

Among solutions would be to offer the service for free, or have Apple Music turn into a stand-alone company.

It does seem very similar to Internet Explorer bundled with Windows discussions, only this time with Apple as the Microsoft of the day...

I suggested the same spinoff idea previously, however it's really a matter of there is no "monopoly" to begin with. It's upside-down and backwards thinking in Washington which has fostered the notion that government must continually amass power and intervene in all matters, regardless of consequences.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,705member

Among solutions would be to offer the service for free, or have Apple Music turn into a stand-alone company.

It does seem very similar to Internet Explorer bundled with Windows discussions, only this time with Apple as the Microsoft of the day...

I think making it free is worse for these scrutiny.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think making it free is worse for these scrutiny.

But isn't Apple's model based on offering great software-hardware integration by making both?

• Reply 64 of 65
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,705member
    But isn't Apple's model based on offering great software-hardware integration by making both?

Yes but what I meant was Apple Music can't be free if even the $9.99 service is causing this scrutiny by the Feds.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

When you buy a CD player at Best Buy, you aren't required to only buy CDs at Best Buy. Apple has made itself the owner and gatekeeper to any access to 10s of millions of potential customers of other software and service companies. When Apple then creates restrictions and barriers for these other companies to sell their products to these users and wants to charge a mandatory 30% vig on all transactions, which the software can't even tell the user how to avoid, then I will not be surprised at all if they are found to be engaging in restraint of trade or other anticompetitive activities.

You can listen to music bought anywhere when you have an iPhone. iTunes will play mp3s from anywhere, this argument is bad with even the simplest of thought.

If you are a company who wants to process the billing through Apple, you have to pay Apple for their job as middleman.

Eliminate the middleman and you're fine. It's easy enough. Hell, I buy stuff via my Amazon app and they aren't paying Apple 30%...