Apple plans to increase Watch's retail availability in anticipation of major holiday demand

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
Apple is planning to further improve retail availablity of the Apple Watch ahead of the holiday shopping season, working on the assumption that the device will be a hot gift item, CEO Tim Cook revealed on Tuesday.

Speaking during the company's third quarter results call, Cook said that Apple is preparing to expand channel availability, hinting at an increase in points of sale and/or inventory.

"We're convinced that the Watch is going to be one of the top gifts of the holiday season," Cook said.

Cook noted that the Watch has so far only been available through 680 points of sale. That could leave plenty of room for expansion, particularly if Apple decides to add more third-party retailers to the equation. The Watch is generally only available in online and offline Apple Stores, and a handful of luxury fashion outlets.

The Watch wasn't even available in physical Apple Stores until mid-June, owing to Apple not being able to catch up with demand. Cook noted, however, that June sales eclipsed those in either April or May.

To help keep demand up Apple is already developing watchOS 2, which will add things like third-party complications and a Nightstand mode. By far the most important addition however should be support for native third-party apps, solving the speed complaints from current Watch owners.

Cook declined to offer specific sales numbers for the Watch during the call, only saying that sell through "was higher than comparable sell through periods of original iPhone or original iPad," and exceeded expectations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Apple Watch is ripe for expansion to more Apple authorized resellers. I'm confident there are already floods of Chinese knockoffs available. May as well make sure the real thing is available in more places.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

The problem is Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Radio Shack are going to have to have an inventory of all 30 models. Mom-and-pop resellers can't afford that. Even the Sport has 10 different units.

• Reply 3 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    konqerror wrote: »
    The problem is Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Radio Shack are going to have to have an inventory of all 30 models. Mom-and-pop resellers can't afford that. Even the Sport has 10 different units.

Didn't Radio Shack go bankrupt?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Didn't Radio Shack go bankrupt?

Bankruptcy doesn't mean they closed. They were taken over by a lender that cut a deal with Sprint. There's 1,700 stores still open.

• Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Bankruptcy doesn't mean they closed. They were taken over by a lender that cut a deal with Sprint. There's 1,700 stores still open.

There is Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Chapter 7 is a liquidation -- meaning going out of business. Chapter 11 means the company continues to exist and pays of a percentage of debts to their creditors. Chapter 13 is similar to Chapter 11 but is used by individual people (families?), not corporations. 

• Reply 6 of 8
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member
    I'll consider the Watch once it hits it's 3rd generation. I've been burn by Apple 1st gen products for YEARS! LOL
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    ds92jz wrote: »
    I'll consider the Watch once it hits it's 3rd generation. I've been burn by Apple 1st gen products for YEARS! LOL
    Funny. I have been an Apple product owner since 1989 when I bought my first Mac. Among my current Apple products in use is a 42 mm Space Black SS ?Watch with Space Black SS link bracelet. Some of my Apple purchases have been 1st generation. Whatever generation I have purchased, i have never been burned by any Apple product. I certainly have not been burned by my ?Watch.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The Apple Watch is ripe for expansion to more Apple authorized resellers. I'm confident there are already floods of Chinese knockoffs available. May as well make sure the real thing is available in more places.

I already saw a knockoff in the US back in May ????