Apple investigating automated ad system for podcasts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    This seems very similar to what Youtube is doing on say, long videos of people playing games. Right in the middle of a video - an ad starts playing. Very intrusive and terrible.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

True.

But I think the point that @Gatorguy

was trying to make is that for example, Apple does not scan your emails for marketing purposes. This would fall in line with what Tim Cook said, that they do not "learn everything" about you like others do.

So while they may track and monetize some data, they are not trying to track anything and everything. Tracking your email seems to be one of the bigger sticking points.

Here's where things get muddy tho. Did you know that Acxiom, the planet's biggest data aggregator and seller of personal data works with Apple and iAd to more effectively identify and target specific Apple customers? I only recently became aware of it myself and you will never see Apple mention it IMHO for obvious reasons.

So yes iAd marketers may know exactly who you are, your real name, your exact address, phone number and email, family demographics and medical and/or financial information. But it's technically not data tracked nor packaged by Apple themselves so they can accurately claim relatively clean hands.

Yikes.

Acxiom does not seem like a great company do they?

Thanks Gatorguy, now I have more homework to do. :\ 

• Reply 23 of 26
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The money from the ads go to the content creators, not Apple.

Apple do get 30% of it. I realise that Apple just wants to control the adverts so they work properly and are likely to be stuff we might want but, as most podcasts seem to be "in conjunction with" specific companies, I suspect that they'll want specific adverts instead of a load of generic crap like on YouTube.

If you are listening to a podcast about maintaining your car, it doesn't matter what Apple think you might want to see an advert for, because YOU opted to listen to that podcast so surely the advert from the sponsor that the podcast maker selected will be better targeted than Apple looking at your profile, thinking "he likes Apple products", let's throw up an advert for that.

• Reply 24 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    gadgetdon wrote: »

Many podcasts have advertisements in them already, have for years. Not everyone has the time or inclination to regularly record podcasts without some remuneration and so, ads. This system just means that the ads aren't in the downloads but instead inserted on the fly.

I don't think it will happen. Podcasters don't want to create separate downloads for iOS users, and non-iOS users (or iOS users using an alternative to the Podcasts app) will just ignore the metadata and thus no ads.
    A lot of the podcast "networks" will be against this. They have their advertising deals and models in place, know their audience and how best to market to them, and are making more than enough money.

A lot of small, independent podcasters will be against it, too. Particularly anyone self-funding through Patreon or other subscription models. At least some of them went this way to avoid having ads, and so won't look too kindly on Apple inserting them. Presumably, they wouldn't insert ads without consent of the content producer, but you never know.

One would hope they only offer this as a service to people who want it, and leave those that either don't want advertising or already have advertising deals in place alone. Presimably it would also be limited to podcasts listed in the iTunes Store, and not get added on to a random RSS feed I subscribe to off the web. That's a Google move, not an Apple one.
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    Venture cap from Gimlet media and community-effort Radiotopia are good examples of big attempts to find financial footing in the podcast model. It seems like a golden age for podcasts. 

I assume even the largest podcasters, in general, have access to a small pool of advertisers. This is only because the same sponsors appear on most of the ones I listen to. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">If this benefits the podcasters by simplifying their selling of ad spots I say "yes!" Let the podcasters get back to what they really want to do in the first place.</span>
    I think the issue is more to do with companies that see podcast advertising as worth their time. These tend to skew to the tech industry, but with a few lifestyle companies that see stereotypical geeks as part of their target audience. Maybe Apple can convince more companies to buy advertising in podcasts, but that will interfere with the marketing of many podcast producers.
    9secondko wrote: »
    Haven't heard a single one yet buddy.
    Seriously, you need to get out more. Or at least listen to some different podcasts.

Or not, you know, do whatever. But there is a lot of advertising in podcasting.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

A lot of the podcast "networks" will be against this. They have their advertising deals and models in place, know their audience and how best to market to them, and are making more than enough money.

A lot of small, independent podcasters will be against it, too. Particularly anyone self-funding through Patreon or other subscription models. At least some of them went this way to avoid having ads, and so won't look too kindly on Apple inserting them. Presumably, they wouldn't insert ads without consent of the content producer, but you never know.

It's definitely opt-in. The producer inserts metadata into the stream to mark "insert ad here". No metadata, no ads.

• Reply 26 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Can't see how this will work unless Apple launches a new podcast format proprietary to iTunes.  Why would anyone use Apple's Podcasts app on iOS if it's inserting ads that can be easily avoided by playing the same podcasts using another app?  Even non-nerds can figure that dodge out pretty easily.

Probably just a defensive patent.  The concept makes more sense in connection with a DRM protected streaming music or video service.