IDC: Apple snags global smartphone marketshare from Samsung in June quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
IDC research data published on Thursday shows that Apple's share of the global smartphone market grew to 14.1 percent in the June quarter, up from 11.7 percent in the same period a year ago -- largely at the expense of Samsung.

Samsung's share slipped from 24.8 percent to 21.7 percent, or about 73.2 million units, IDC said. Lenovo fell from 5.2 percent to 4.8 percent, although unlike Samsung, it still shipped a greater number of phones year-to-year. Samsung's units were down from 74.9 million in Q2 2014.

The Korean company may also have been impacted by surging sales at Huawei, which leapt from a 6.7 percent share to 8.9, and Xiaomi, which advanced from 4.6 percent to 5.3. Of the three, only Samsung has a significant presence in the North American market, but IDC credited Huawei's growth with strong sales in Europe and its home country of China. Xiaomi is only beginning to step outside of India and Southeast Asia.

Apple's success was linked to a dominant position in the Chinese market, where it's said to be profiting from an expansion of 4G networks and its decision to switch to larger screens for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Many Chinese use a smartphone as their primary computing device, and rival Android phones -- often less expensive -- have had larger displays for years.

The drop in Samsung numbers was blamed on its botched launch of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. The company misjudged the balance of demand, leaving it with too few Edge models and a surplus of regular ones. IDC noted however that older Galaxy phones continued to sell, mostly because of discounts and promotions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

IDC research data published on Thursday shows that Apple's share of the global smartphone market grew to 14.1 percent in the June quarter, up from 11.7 percent in the same period a year ago -- largely at the expense of Samsung.

How about that Sam has been out Sung !  :)

Now I'm wondering what dirty trick Samsung will  try on Apple ?  :devil:

• Reply 2 of 11
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ah but The Verge reports that Microsoft will have two flagships out this fall and with pen support. I guess Apple should be quaking in its boots. :D
  • Reply 3 of 11
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah but The Verge reports that Microsoft will have two flagships out this fall and with pen support. I guess Apple should be quaking in its boots. image

That must be for their OS 10 touch screen pad, or whatever they called it.  :wow:

• Reply 4 of 11
    IDC, huh?

Meh.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ah but The Verge reports that Microsoft will have two flagships out this fall and with pen support. I guess Apple should be quaking in its boots. :D

Going to... Coming soon... Working on... Next year...

Thank God the world no longer orbits around Microsoft's bug-ridden, bloated crap.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    rogifan wrote: »

The Verge. Yeah, those guys.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Suck it Samsung!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Stupid IDC again comparing all Samsung phones from the $100 junk ones up to the GS6 and Note 4 against the iPhone. Strip out the 50 million junk phones and suddenly Samsungs 20 million (if they're lucky) looks quite poor against Apples 47 million.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

One reason that Samsung share dropped in China is Chinese authority wants the carriers to reduce smartphone subsidy.  

• Reply 10 of 11
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Over at C|Net they're focusing on, are you ready for this? ..... Marketshare .....
    Of course Samsung is still king of that heap.
    The comments section is also hilarious. For many there, Android is still winning.
    But why should I give it away. Here is the, I don't even want to call it article, in all its glory.
    [URL=http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-continues-to-rule-over-apple-in-smartphone-market/]Samsung continues to rule over Apple in smartphone market[/URL]
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    thedba wrote: »
    Over at C|Net they're focusing on, are you ready for this? ..... Marketshare .....
    Of course Samsung is still king of that heap.
    The comments section is also hilarious. For many there, Android is still winning.
    But why should I give it away. Here is the, I don't even want to call it article, in all its glory.
    Samsung continues to rule over Apple in smartphone market

Newsflash, this article is also about marketshare.