Apple removes Nest Learning Thermostat from online, retail stores in potential HomeKit push

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Supposedly, the ROI is on HVAC Fuel savings -- efficiently providing comfort at reduced costs. We live in the SF East Bay area.

We installed a new HVAC a little over a month ago -- just as the seasonal temperature rises to the 86-90 range.

Our last PG
    I understand how Ecobee3 works I really like it. I just don't like the price. To me, if you really need to control the HVAC sufficiently, switch valve in HVAC system would be great...it directs cool air directly to the room occupied and ignore the rest. Who can make that type of valves? Maybe I should patent it...lol.

Interesting ...

I'm no HVAC engineer, but my experience with forced air heating/AC systems, say, though the 1990's relied on metal ductwork to distribute the "conditioned" air from the heat exchanger at the furnace to the rooms throughout the house. These were large, say, 12"-24" x 12". Since the same continuous duct served all the room in the house -- their were points in the ducts where a piece of metal could be rotated to or open a portion of the duct directing more or less air to the downstream group of rooms (i think they were called plenum valves -- or plenums for short). These were set manually on installation -- and possibly (infrequently) adjusted when needs changed.

In more modern installations, I believe, this large single duct system has been replaced with multiple round, flexible ducts about 12"-18" in diameter, These are less expensive to install and more efficient to operate. IDK if there are any plenums -- they'd likely be at the heat exchanger for ducts serving multiple rooms -- or at the vent in each room.

In any case to control the the flow -- you'd need quite a few motors distributed throughout the house to open/close the plenum valves.

AFAICT, both the above solutions rely on high-volume, low pressure air movement.

Then, on some more modern home construction, I've seen where the heating is supplied by heating water and distributing it through a manifold at the furnace (essentially, a group if plenum valves). From the manifold, the water flows through insulated hoses to the floors and/or walls in individual rooms. These hoses are ~1" diameter -- and a bundle of them would, conceivably, take the same or less space than the newer flexible ducts.

These heating systems rely on low[er]-volume, high[er]-pressure liquid movement.

It seems that it would be fairly inexpensive to motorize the plenum valves at the furnace to control distribution to individual rooms.

IDK, how this could be applied to cooling, though ... Possibly LVHP (low[er]-volume, high[er]-pressure) hose bundles for distributing cooled air ???

• Reply 42 of 43
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    fallenjt wrote: »

The Nest may track your activity to send to Google marketing group?
    Probably not...but Google is not a company I can trust.

Best.

Yeah ... You and the family are on that week-long trip to Disneyland/Universal ... And you start receiving SPAM in your email and search results::

Who's minding the store while you're away from home?  Have ShadeyGuys Security watch your home. BTW, according to your use of Google Maps -- you were in Pasadena on the 19th, LA on the 20th, Anaheim on the 21st ...

• Reply 43 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah ... You and the family are on that week-long trip to Disneyland/Universal ... And you start receiving SPAM in your email and search results::

Who's minding the store while you're away from home?  Have ShadeyGuys Security watch your home. BTW, according to your use of Google Maps -- you were in Pasadena on the 19th, LA on the 20th, Anaheim on the 21st ...

I hear you, D.

Best.