Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Yes it will if they have direct access to your bank account

transparency brosef

• Reply 22 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's safer to use a tokenization scheme than to run the stripe of your debit card. So Apple Pay (or the equivalent upcoming Samsung clone) still wins.

I'm talking about CurrentC here. Of course, I prefer Apple over any other type of mobile payment.

• Reply 23 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So they had a three year exclusivity deal and then screwed it up by not launching until said deal was due to expire?

Poor management right there.

best summary yet......it had piss poor support till the witching hour......no merchant support because if it was there the app would be there

privacy is a non entity with this and yet they can't explain how this improves security over anything.

BestBuy pulling "out" probably motivated many other merchants to count down to the end of exclusivity 

poof last minute app with no history of any consumer use or acceptance

just wait till this fall when retail gets geared up for the Christmas buying season......you'll see many more "best buy" offloading 

walmart will try to keep it alive.....its really its baby......using other systems will have a built in delay so this "looks" faster

already at walmart using a chip card (american express using a slot rather than swiping) takes 4 times longer than swiping my debit card

coincidence?   i don't think so

its the only way i can use my AMEX card, and only walmart uses the slot rather then the swipe.

• Reply 24 of 30
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Because it’s not about the customer experience, or customer security, or customer anything. It’s about eliminating credit/debit card fees, period.

It's about trying to pinch pennies that doesn't benefit the consumer, only the business.

And to be honest... there is absolutely no business I'd ever use this payment method. Paying with the physical credit card is faster. If they want to put their money where their mouth is, they would only accept cash or CurrentC.

What Visa/MC/Amex should do is require that all POS systems to support tap-to-pay AND EMV chip+pin , and businesses refusing to enable the tap-to-pay features (determined by seeing "tap to pay" users not using "tap-to-pay" at certain locations for amounts that should be tap-to-pay) to be in violation of their payment agreements and threaten to lose all CC processing access if they don't enable it. See how quickly stores capitulate then.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member

"... giving MCX direct access to a checking account"

Hell NO !

No security (they were hacked already) and no protection of the kind you get with a credit card. 

But the real issue is that they present no value proposition for the customer. There is NO upside for me to use this. There's plenty for Walmart but none for me. I find it hard to believe that they're this far down the path and still have not presented a "why" to encourage a customer to use it. Pathetic, just pathetic.

• Reply 26 of 30
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

The worst thing to do in mobile payment is to let merchant access your checking account directly. Fck no. Even if I want to pay from my bank, I use debit card.

They can get your information with your debit card FYI.

• Reply 27 of 30
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

It's about trying to pinch pennies that doesn't benefit the consumer, only the business.

And to be honest... there is absolutely no business I'd ever use this payment method. Paying with the physical credit card is faster. If they want to put their money where their mouth is, they would only accept cash or CurrentC.

What Visa/MC/Amex should do is require that all POS systems to support tap-to-pay AND EMV chip+pin , and businesses refusing to enable the tap-to-pay features (determined by seeing "tap to pay" users not using "tap-to-pay" at certain locations for amounts that should be tap-to-pay) to be in violation of their payment agreements and threaten to lose all CC processing access if they don't enable it. See how quickly stores capitulate then.

I can do that myself

• Reply 28 of 30
    Coincidentally, I plan to take a dump in August too.
  • Reply 29 of 30

@PScooter63 ("And that's exactly what the consortium is counting on... consumers with little-to-no analytical skills.  Suckers.")

Exactly.  This will be used only by the low-information types and those who are bribed to use it by incentives, coupons or giveaways.  I could easily see a two-tiered system, an 'upper' tier of knowledgeable customers using Apple Pay or Google Wallet and a 'lower' tier  using this nonsense.

It won't last.  Too clumsy.  Doesn't use customers' rewards cards.  Disdainful of customers' privacy and security.  Truly nasty.