Rumor: Apple's iPad mini 4 will be a miniature iPad Air 2, could launch alongside A9-powered iPad Ai

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Massively overpowered for things you do, maybe. But that's just you. Major games need more power and RAM than my current iPad Air 2 has. I use Photo and movie editing apps, and they too can use more memory and power. So do my CAD apps, and painting apps.

I've never understood why some people think that just because they don't need something, no one needs it.

Same here. I can use as much power as I can get. The iPad Air 2 is indeed pretty powerful and blows away most other mobile devices, but I'm not going to complain if an iPad Pro gets released that is even more powerful and has something like an A9X chip inside of it.

I like to run music apps and plugins that take huge amounts of processing power, and more power is always welcome.

• Reply 22 of 78
    melgross wrote: »
    Massively overpowered for things you do, maybe. But that's just you. Major games need more power and RAM than my current iPad Air 2 has. I use Photo and movie editing apps, and they too can use more memory and power. So do my CAD apps, and painting apps.

I've never understood why some people think that just because they don't need something, no one needs it.

Plus this A8X is going to be seriously loaded once multitasking shows up.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The iPad mini may finally get the full-gamut display it deserves. Who wants to guess whether it'll be Suddenly Newton's pink unicorn IGZO?
  • Reply 24 of 78
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    We have the original ipad, which we never use, and ipad 2 which we use every day to surf, watch Hulu and Netflix. As old as it is, it handles those tasks just fine. It looks and feels as premium as anything I've ever held.

Sure a new one would blow it away and be much lighter, but for Hulu, Netflix and surfing, I have no urge to run out and spend $500 for a new one. It must have a killer new feature for me to consider an upgrade. I'll use my ipad 2 until it drops dead.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

We have the original ipad, which we never use, and ipad 2 which we use every day to surf, watch Hulu and Netflix. As old as it is, it handles those tasks just fine. It looks and feels as premium as anything I've ever held.

Sure a new one would blow it away and be much lighter, but for Hulu, Netflix and surfing, I have no urge to run out and spend $500 for a new one. It must have a killer new feature for me to consider an upgrade. I'll use my ipad 2 until it drops dead.

My mom still uses an iPad 2 that I gave her many years ago. For her uses, it's more than good enough. And the iPad 2 will even be compatible with iOS9 when that comes out soon.

• Reply 26 of 78
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

A price drop to $399 would be pretty awesome though.

Given the drop in iPad sales this past quarter, a price drop might be a way to kickstart sales for the holiday season.

• Reply 27 of 78
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Zzzzzzz… 

• Reply 28 of 78
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. I want an iPad Pro that will completely replace my needing to carry an iPad and MacBook to conferences and for vacations (although I rarely use the MacBook during vacation trips). I don't upgrade my hardware like years past. So I go for the most powerful and hope it stays that way until I decide to upgrade.

The in-laws will be getting our iPad minis when Apple upgrades the iPad Air and/or introduces the iPad Pro. Mom's original iPad is on its last legs. She originally said she wouldn't use i, but now uses it daily and has finally started doing more than just watching YouTube videos on it.

• Reply 29 of 78
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

2 GB RAM to enable split screen apps would be the most important upgrade.

• Reply 30 of 78
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    cpsro wrote: »
    2 GB RAM to enable split screen apps would be the most important upgrade.
    That, Touch ID, 802.11ac and Force Touch are my must haves. If the mini update doesn't have all four of those with an A9 processor (I wish for but not a deal breaker like the above), I may stick with my mini 2 for another year or however long it takes.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The iPad mini may finally get the full-gamut display it deserves. Who wants to guess whether it'll be Suddenly Newton's pink unicorn IGZO?

Don't knock it. IGZO would solve all of Apple's iPad sales woes. Those iPads would have to carry warning stickers telling users not to look at the screen for more than 5 minutes at a time, or risk eye damage from retinal orgasms.

• Reply 32 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I agree with current Air 2 dropping to $399 would be awesome but why not also bring the rumored stylus capabilities to the Air 3 as well as the 12.9" iPad?

Because, product differentiation. If stylus support and pressure sensitivity is the main differentiator of the iPad Pro, they're not gonna bring that to the Air, at least not right away. 

• Reply 33 of 78
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    The things will make me buy an iPad Air 4
    Will be
    1. iPhone 6 design
    2. 64 GB storage starting point
    3. App Store upload limit: 8 GB
    4. Exclusive games: Batman Arkham City,..
    That's it
  • Reply 34 of 78

Still using my 1st gen mini, at this point I mainly use it for recipes and now Apple Music.  My iPhone 6 is better at just about everything, so I'm super ready for a real upgrade.  I might have gotten the mini 3 if the update were more than just Touch ID.  If the mini stays a generation behind the Air, I just might get pushed up to an Air.  Especially with that lightness, my other iPad was the 3rd generation and that thing was just too big and heavy for long-term use.

• Reply 35 of 78
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

That, Touch ID, 802.11ac and Force Touch are my must haves. If the mini update doesn't have all four of those with an A9 processor (I wish for but not a deal breaker like the above), I may stick with my mini 2 for another year or however long it takes.

The mini 3 already has TouchID. I would put an improved display at higher priority than 802.11ac and FT. The mini's display has been mediocre at best from the beginning.

• Reply 36 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wigby wrote: »

You're talking about something covered in the one year hardware warranty. There's no reason you cannot walk into an Apple Store and exchange for a new one. That is, unless you just want to honestly complain on this forum.

It's not a defect with my iPad it's how the product is. They made the iPad thinner and put in better speakers. That's causing sound vibration.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    satchmo wrote: »
    Given the drop in iPad sales this past quarter, a price drop might be a way to kickstart sales for the holiday season.

That would be nice but got to keep up those margins. At least if Apple finance has its way.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    I hope all the rumors about all the variations of models is false. It is now looking like old Apple. When Steve came back, one of the first action was to simplify the product line to make it easy for consumer to decide. He came down to two lines consumer and pro and even in that only limited model. This was one of the best thing he did. I think Tim needs to keep that model and not have tens of SKUs.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

The things will make me buy an iPad Air 4

Will be

1. iPhone 6 design

2. 64 GB storage starting point

3. App Store upload limit: 8 GB

4. Exclusive games: Batman Arkham City,..

That's it

You're not going to buy one, not going to be 64GB starting point; sorry. It's Ipad Air 3 BTW, not 4 ;-).

• Reply 40 of 78
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    3 iPad screen sizes and 3 iPhone screen sizes make everyone happy. Even though the sale of Mini was not that great, Apple should still retain it just like keeping 4" iPhone
    Plenty of people prefer the mini form factor. I am not one of them, but plenty do. Qantas for example has iPad minis in every seat pocket of their newer planes to use with their wifi.

In my opinion, the main reason for an iPad mini, and an iPad pro truth to tell, is to leave no gaps in the market for competitors to exploit. They don't have to take the market by storm. This is the lesson of the no doubt Jobs imposed one screen size for iPhones that gave Samsung a leg up, a repeat mistake from the early days of the Macintosh.