Leak reveals Parallels Desktop 11 will support Windows 10's Cortana across OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

NTFS was better designed, HFS+ keeps getting patchwork fixes.

Yeah, HFS is definitely long in the tooth.  However, changing your underlying OS filesystem isn't exactly something which happens overnight.  Not sure what happened with Apple and ZFS a while back.  It looked like they were going to switch, then it dropped off the radar...

• Reply 22 of 42
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Yeah, HFS is definitely long in the tooth.  However, changing your underlying OS filesystem isn't exactly something which happens overnight.  Not sure what happened with Apple and ZFS a while back.  It looked like they were going to switch, then it dropped off the radar...

The rumor was that Oracle was not going to cover any potential legal IP liability of ZFS.  ZFS would be nice.  I use it on some OpenIndiana (Solaris) servers and on my FreeBSD servers.

• Reply 23 of 42
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I tried Windows 8 once and it was horrible. But it sounds like Microsoft still has some duplicate apps that are both modern/metro UI and more classic Window 7 type UI. How confusing. Microsoft needs to make up its mind and go in one direction.

The bigger problem is trying to have one OS target many different device types.  Win 8 gives you the worst of all worlds -- desktop users can't get at anything easily without a lot of custom configuration, and Surface users get a hodgepodge of apps designed for desktop or tablet use (or both).

• Reply 24 of 42
    rogifan wrote: »
    I tried Windows 8 once and it was horrible. But it sounds like Microsoft still has some duplicate apps that are both modern/metro UI and more classic Window 7 type UI. How confusing. Microsoft needs to make up its mind and go in one direction.

Win 10 fixes that, they've really done a nice job on it. And starting with 8 they seriously sped up the system from the kernel up. If you put 7 and 8 on identical systems 8 will blow 7 away every time from a performance standpoint.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member

This is a NON-News article.  Of course Parallels 11 is going to support Cortana. Duh.

• Reply 26 of 42
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wh... 

See, this is how I can tell that there’ll be a second great depression soon: this sentence exists.

Welcome back -  I thought you had been banned.  "Second great depression"?  Nah - when Windows brings goodness to the Mac, it's the "end time" ;-)

• Reply 27 of 42
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    NTFS was better designed, HFS+ keeps getting patchwork fixes.
    NTFS is better designed that FAT32. HFS+? Not so much.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Care to give us some very specific, fact-based examples of how Windows has a "fully renovated" backend compared to OSX, which has not? 

The renovation happened back in Vista, which modernized Windows' security design (like implementing ASLR, requiring sudo-style authorization for privileged actions, etc.) and leapfrogged OS X in some respects:

"According to Mr. Miller, unlike Windows 7, which features robust ASLR, Snow Leopard's ASLR is half-baked. It does not properly randomize the heap, the stack and the dynamic linker, the part of Snow Leopard that links multiple shared libraries for an executable.  This means that it's much easier for hackers to attack Snow Leopard via memory injection than Windows 7." (http://www.dailytech.com/Hacker+Apples+Snow+Leopard+Protections+Weaker+Than+Windows+7s/article16273.htm).

For some gory details, see (https://www.symantec.com/avcenter/reference/Windows_Vista_Security_Model_Analysis.pdf).

• Reply 29 of 42
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    The renovation happened back in Vista, which modernized Windows' security design (like implementing ASLR, requiring sudo-style authorization for privileged actions, etc.) and leapfrogged OS X in some respects:

"According to Mr. Miller, unlike Windows 7, which features robust ASLR, Snow Leopard's ASLR is half-baked. It does not properly randomize the heap, the stack and the dynamic linker, the part of Snow Leopard that links multiple shared libraries for an executable.  This means that it's much easier for hackers to attack Snow Leopard via memory injection than Windows 7." (http://www.dailytech.com/Hacker+Apples+Snow+Leopard+Protections+Weaker+Than+Windows+7s/article16273.htm).

For some gory details, see (https://www.symantec.com/avcenter/reference/Windows_Vista_Security_Model_Analysis.pdf).

Microsoft also went into the code base and removed more than a million lines of code in the Vista-7 transition. And they revamped the kernel. Then they came out with 8 which is a speed demon, and 10 is the merger of 7 aesthetics with 8 reliability and speed.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The days of claiming Windows is insecure are as tired as the "iPhone is doomed" meme.

Unlike Apple, Microsoft has fully renovated their operating system backend.

Excuse me but tell that to my Windows 8.1 and 10 beta's (all run in VMs or external booting Windows drives - I don't own a PC) that can easily be infected with malware unlike my OS X installations. Heck even using the Microsoft uninstall utility to remove malware can spawn additional malware installations when used. That's with all Microsoft's built in protection running.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Win 10 fixes that, they've really done a nice job on it. And starting with 8 they seriously sped up the system from the kernel up. If you put 7 and 8 on identical systems 8 will blow 7 away every time from a performance standpoint.

10 is 8.1 with a few changes to be less confusing. I've been running it for since the first beta and it sucks as badly as 8, 7. Vista, XP, 98, 95 and DOS. This Windows in it's death throws.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    chadbag wrote: »
    HFS+ is old, and sure, probably should be replaced, but I have yet to suffer file loss or corruption that I am aware of using it (and earlier versions of HFS) since 10.0.0.   For the record, I have not had file loss or corruption on NTFS either, that I am aware of.

Newer Windows versions are a lot better than older Windows in terms of security.

That last paragraph is relative of course. Really bad is better than bloody awful I guess. ;)
  • Reply 33 of 42
    auxio wrote: »
    Too bad most of the Windows world is still running Win 7 and older.

Just about every older person that was stuck with a PC I know now uses an iPad rather than buying yet another PC due to viruses and malware. This as oppsoed the Mac users who are still upgrading to newer Macs. The profits or lack thereof at MS seem to reflect this trend.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    afrodri wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this just mean that Cortana can access the microphone while it is running? It seems like giving it access to that while running would be no different than giving it access to the mouse or keyboard and wouldn't require access to the Mac file system or other devices. Of course any increased access could unearth a security flaw (like if the microphone allowed access to other devices) but the risk here seems much lower than giving it access to the file system or another USB device.  I.e. this doesn't seem to break the sandboxing anymore than giving access to other input devices.

My bet is if you isolate the VM in Parallels as I do, Cortana won't work. Maybe you are correct and it will but I have my doubts. Not due to how it works but because Parallels won't have an option for it alone. We'll know soon enough I guess.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Thanks for using 2007 era arguments. You realize that Windows 8 and up include security software by default, and are much harder to attack than Win 7 and older?

Microsoft also has a file system which isn't a dated, iffy patchwork pile of crap which should have been replaced years ago. What's the point of a "safe" OS if the file system kills your data?

Mac malware is also on the rise, and if it was so secure than Apple wouldn't be implementing SIP in El Cap.

Sounds like you'd be happier going to the dark side ;)
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It sound like you work for MS. I've been working with the different releases of W10 for a few months now. The thing is clearly unfinished. I ca BSOD it at will doing somthing the Win 7 and even 8.1 just shrug off. Their so called 'stat menu' is something that a 1st year University student might cobble together after too much beer on a Saturday night.
    I could go on but the almost universal loating for W10 on the internet is there for all to see.
    Even some of the most die hard pro-MS reviewers are having a hard time recommeding that people move to it.

sure W10 might be a bit faster than W8/8.1 but these days, who really cares that much? so what if something take 14.5 seconds on W10 and 16.9 seconds on W8.1. does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? IMHO no not really.

Their way of applying updates for W10 is just silly. Forcing them on users will only end in a huge class action lawsuit when an update takes out 100 or a 1000 or even 100,000 systems.
    The ghost of Balmer lives on in Redmond.

I make a living writing software that runs mostly on the Windows platform. I have to be able to trust the underlying OS. Being totally honest, I can't give a thumbs up for any OS since win 7/Server 2008R2. Even Server 2012R2 has some odd behaviours.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Anybody else find the blue face pictured in the article creepy?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

I have owned a half dozen different versions of Parallels over the years but stopped at version 9. They refuse to properly support the latest operating systems in anything but their newest released products. If you don't mind upgrading every year then go ahead, shell out the bucks. Otherwise, I recommend going with VirtualBox (free) or VMWare's Fusion.

-kpluck

• Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This Windows in it's death throws.

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

Anybody else find the blue face pictured in the article creepy?

Cortana? She's undergone a lot of changes over the years, that face isn't one of the ingame designs.

Things got weird with Halo 4 when Bungie was no longer involved.

• Reply 40 of 42

Seven or eight years ago, I was in real estate with a brand new white iMac and iBook. Both the first generation intel white ones. They were beautiful.

However, all the real estate software/programs. i.e., MLS, Zipforms, broker's back office, etc., etc., were only available on Windows XP. And they were awful, clunky products. Just awful. They'd bring me down just having to use them.

Parallels saved the day. I was able to load it on both my Apples and load an $80 (legal) copy of Windows XP and use it for Real Estate. Yes, it was slow, but I didn't have to buy and work on  a POS Windows box. Ugh!

Parallels rate of improvements and updates was tremendous. 

I loved their cube rotation graphic as you went into XP. But I loved getting out of Windows and back to my Apple desktop more.

I'd recommend it to anyone who has the misfortune of still having to use a windows program. Better than rebooting into Bootcamp.

Best.