Motorola unveils larger Moto X Style and Moto X Play phones, updates Moto G

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    "a device that will compete head-on with Apple iPhones expected to launch this fall."

Not enough lols for this statement.

I'm with you 100% on this... Motorola barely got these phones announced before Apple's new iPhones debut with unexpected features that will make the Moto phone green with envy. Also more pixels slow down a phone, Apple's design allows for burst mode, stabilization and slo-mo filming. Can't do all that and refresh a boat load of pixels.

So because nobody can equal Apple in features they should just quit trying?
  • Reply 62 of 76
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    First it runs Android which ruins the moto hardware. Next I'm not aware of Motorola fixing their issue with over charging and over heating the battery. Every Motorola phone I owned within a year the battery was shot because they over heat the battery during any amount of normal use. Most of the issue is due to Google poor power management software and all the background activity they do heating up the processor.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'm with you 100% on this... Motorola barely got these phones announced before Apple's new iPhones debut with unexpected features that will make the Moto phone green with envy. Also more pixels slow down a phone, Apple's design allows for burst mode, stabilization and slo-mo filming. Can't do all that and refresh a boat load of pixels.

I wasn't even referring to features or specs. Those are almost irrelevant. The Moto X or whatever won't compete, because it is simply playing in another universe. Won't even get a fraction of a percentage of the sales that the next iPhones will get, nor the awareness, so calling it "competition" is laughable. This might compete with other Android OEMs, but iPhones will be almost completely unaffected. 

• Reply 64 of 76
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    macvicta wrote: »
    How awesome would the iPhone be with 3 gigs of RAM? That's probably what it takes just for Android to run somewhat smoothly. On an Apple device it'd be like heaven. I guess we'll get to 3 gigs with iPhone 7.

As you say android probably needs 3 g of ram to run well.
    Since the iPhone runs well on less ram, it's not a given that more iPhone ram would be usefull for it.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    mike1 wrote: »
    If I had to buy an Android phone for some reason, this'd be it. Especially since Motorola is no longer owned by Google.

Motorola not being owned by Google doesn't reduce android spying.
    ANDROID IS SPYWARE, PERIOD !
  • Reply 66 of 76
    mstone wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well supposedly the camera in the new Moto X is quite good.

It always seemed to make sense to put the camera lens closer to the center of the device. I occasionally get my fingers in the shot with the iPhone because the lens is so close to the edge where I'm holding the device.

Me too, the iPhone camera lens is in the wrong location for me. :no:
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Let me know when it runs iOS. That's all there needs to be said.

Right on !!! ;)
  • Reply 68 of 76
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This article is really shameful AppleInsider.

I listen to the podcast and you guys seem like pretty decent people.

But this is shameful.

This is a like a BMW fansite posting an article about a new Kia car coming out.  Seriously.  WTF is going on here.

So as long as it is something negative about Google or Android you lap it up and are all over it like flies on shit.

But if its just a normal article about a new product from a company who is not Apple you simply can't handle it? Most of us here like Apple. Some of us also like other products too, or like to see what the competition is doing. What is wrong with that? 

You are working overtime on these forums. Not telling you what to do, but maybe lowering the dose on those fanboi pills would help. You seem to take all of this stuff way too seriously. 

• Reply 69 of 76
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

If I had to buy an Android phone for some reason, this'd be it. Especially since Motorola is no longer owned by Google.

Funny. You people.

Why is it 'especially'? What difference does makes if it owned by Google or not?

You would be still having the phone with operational system owned by Google. And this is then fine with you? Funny.

• Reply 70 of 76
    cali wrote: »
    Anyone here actually care about this cheap knockoff??

Not here, I'm not into spyware android.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    sog35 wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Since no one uses them as smartphones who cares if a couple of the versions start at 16GB?

No.  Its because Moto knows that many people only need 16 GB.  Same with the iPhone.  Its a myth that EVERYONE needs more than 16GB.  

So true. My 16gb iPhone4c on iOS8 had 9gb available for the user, after the iOS8 install.
    After installing many Apps I use, it still has 6gb available.
    Lots left for photos and music.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member

I have both an iPhone6 and a MotoG (current version).  On most points the iPhone is superior:  better camera, faster, fingerprint reader, better build quality, iOS being more secure, ... 

But don't think that the MotoG is a piece a crap.  Its performance is comparable to an iPhone4, its camera is very decent and it has some features that are better or non existing on a iPhone: dual sim card reader, FM radio, SD card reader and stereo speakers with a sound quality that blows away the iPhone internal speaker. 

As such I always take the MotoG (and not the iPhone) for playing music and because I am going a lot abroad, dual sim cards save a considerable amount of roaming costs but of course YMMV.

• Reply 73 of 76
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

I have both an iPhone6 and a MotoG (current version).  On most points the iPhone is superior:  better camera, faster, fingerprint reader, better build quality, iOS being more secure, ... 

But don't think that the MotoG is a piece a crap.  Its performance is comparable to an iPhone4, its camera is very decent and it has some features that are better or non existing on a iPhone: dual sim card reader, FM radio, SD card reader and stereo speakers with a sound quality that blows away the iPhone internal speaker. 

As such I always take the MotoG (and not the iPhone) for playing music and because I am going a lot abroad, dual sim cards save a considerable amount of roaming costs but of course YMMV.

The new Moto G blows away that old i phone 4 period.

• Reply 74 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macvicta wrote: »
    How awesome would the iPhone be with 3 gigs of RAM? That's probably what it takes just for Android to run somewhat smoothly. On an Apple device it'd be like heaven. I guess we'll get to 3 gigs with iPhone 7.

I'd take 2GB. In fact if the 6S doesn't have 2GB RAM I'll just keep my 6.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Enable full-device encryption without crippling performance. This is what happens when you try to use full disk encryption without proper hardware: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8725/encryption-and-storage-performance-in-android-50-lollipop (the nexus 6 has a 32-bit chip which lacks hardware crypto acceleration).
    Actually, the Nexus 6 has a Qualcomm hardware encryption engine in it; Lollipop just lacks the drivers for it. The beta builds of 5.1 actually had drivers for it for a while, but Google pulled them at the last minute, reportedly due to stability issues. They did, however, optimize the software encryption quite a bit, so it does better in benchmarks than in that link, which is for 5.0.

At any rate, it has nothing to do with 32 vs. 64 bit.