Yahoo expected to launch messaging app at New York City press event

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Yahoo is planning to hold a mid-week press event in New York City, where it will probably announce a new messaging app, according to claims made on Tuesday.

The company is at least intending to show off a new consumer product, sources told Re/code. At first the same people added only that it would have a mobile focus, but Re/code reporter Kara Swisher later mentioned the messaging connection on Twitter.

Since 2012, current Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has been trying to overhaul and revitalize the company, which by her arrival had become stagnant in its advertising and content businesses. In 2013 for instance Mayer orchestrated the acquisition of blog service Tumblr, in a deal worth $1.1 billion.

The launch of a mobile-oriented messaging app could put Yahoo in direct competition with Facebook Messenger, which is available across iOS, Android, Windows, and the Web. Facebook is actively trying to turn Messenger into a platform with things like a third-party API and even shopping and money transfer functions.

A Yahoo app would presumably launch first on iOS and/or Android, the two most popular mobile platforms. Facebook typically prefers introducing apps on iOS and then migrating to Android.

Yahoo still offers Yahoo Messenger for both desktop and mobile, but the platform has become marginal as alternatives like Facebook, WhatsApp, iMessage, Skype, and Hangouts have taken hold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21

WHY?

• Reply 2 of 21
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Anyone who would use this is already on Facebook or iMessage-but I guess yahoo had to do something.

• Reply 3 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Brian View Post

WHY?

Ditto.

• Reply 4 of 21
    Yahoo is an entitled as any company to create a new messaging app, but it eludes me what extra magic sauce they can bring to the mix. Yahoo Messenger was quite popular.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    I can hardly contain my excitement.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Guaranteed to be as crap as everything else they do.

I use a Yahoo mail account for spam mail. Such a shockingly bad UI, it's not even worthy of my spam. I would say it's up there in the worst UI's of all time list.

Oh and the Yahoo iOS mail app, I don't think it's ever worked for me. Two clicks (if I'm lucky) and it crashes, or doesn't let me sign in for some stupid reason.

• Reply 7 of 21
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

This is DOA unless Yahoo releases something that is far superior to iMessage/Google Hangouts/whatsapp

• Reply 8 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yahoo killed Yahoo Messenger. They had something good, I don't trust them with something new.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Thought it was an old headline from 1996 - tragic Yahoo, tragic
  • Reply 10 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

What? I thought they already had a messaging app?

• Reply 11 of 21
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The only relevant option I can see for a new messaging app from Yahoo! today would be a Slack competitor.

[LIST]
    [*] https://slack.com
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 12 of 21
    ronnronn Posts: 653member

Mayer probably should have done this when she first took over. I last used Yahoo messenger about a decade ago and just got fed up with it. Features were always behind on the Mac and the damn thing was laggy or crashed constantly.

• Reply 13 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member

Yes, they already have Messenger, and a desktop client to go with it. Or, I could just add my Yahoo! account to Messages on my Mac (as you can with your Google, AOL/Aim account, etc). Or on mobile, I can add it to any number of platform-agnostic messaging apps that behave the same way (though in my experience, the ones I've tried suck pretty badly). The difference is that NOW they're adding their own 1st party mobile client? That's the news? This warrants a press event?

• Reply 14 of 21
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    fastasleep wrote: »
    ... NOW they're adding their own 1st party mobile client? That's the news? This warrants a press event?

They better have a couple great features. Otherwise, it'll be a dud. I have absolutely no confidence in Yahoo.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Look at all the messaging apps on iOS. WhatsApp is massive. Sorry, but there is room.

I'm sure they'll extend it with animated GIF support, short video streams, hooks into other photo app products like Flickr, etc.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hasn't WhatsApp effectively cornered the market worldwide?

Frankly, I'm surprised Yahoo is still alive. Sure they make millions with click views and advertising, but from a brand perspective, they are no longer viewed as innovators or leaders in anything.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member

On the edge of my seat. Yahoo messenger? Talk about a throwback to the early 2000's for me. That would be like AOL having a press release for AIM. Btw is AIM still a thing?

• Reply 18 of 21
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Apple was almost late to the game with iMessage, but Apple at least has the OS and the Hardware to throw it onto millions of devices.  Yahoo has what?  I don't even think BBM has really gone anywhere after it launch and there's no way Yahoo could ever compete with that let alone all the others that have been around for years.  People get stuck in their habits and trying to get someone to switch after that isn't easy!!!!

• Reply 19 of 21
    I have been unable to find any reasonable data on IM client installations, accounts, active users, message totals, or data usage.

Some show BBM still very popular as well as WhatsApp or FB Messenger not even listed.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Apple was almost late to the game with iMessage, but Apple at least has the OS and the Hardware to throw it onto millions of devices.  Yahoo has what?  I don't even think BBM has really gone anywhere after it launch and there's no way Yahoo could ever compete with that let alone all the others that have been around for years.  People get stuck in their habits and trying to get someone to switch after that isn't easy!!!!

Apple was very late and iMessage had a lot of growing pains to contend with, which probably was more difficult for Apple due to it's extreme rate of growth since first being released, but it's the primary service I utilize. In fact, I think it's been a couple years now since I got rid of Adium and all my IM clients because I now only need iMessage (with any stragglers using email).