Apple supplies second beta of iOS 8.4.1 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
The second pre-release beta of iOS 8.4.1, a forthcoming maintenance and security update for Apple's mobile operating system, was provided to developers on Thursday.

Apple Music

Identified as build 12H318, the new update can be accessed through Apple's developer portal, or as an over-the-air update on registered devices.

The second beta arrives more than two weeks after the first build was provided to testers. It is expected to be a minor update intended to improve stability, compatibility and security.

New features aren't expected to be a part of iOS 8.4.1, with iOS 9 on track to launch in September. iOS 9 is also currently available in beta to developers as well as public testers.

The last major update to iOS, version 8.4, launched on June 30, bringing with it a redesigned Music app with support for Apple Music and Beats 1 radio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Mmm ...

I'm pretty positive about Developer betas ... Not so much about Public Betas ...

I don't mind the Public Betas per se -- it's just that they seem to monopolize Apple Engineers who's time could be spent more productively.

A couple of examples:
    [LIST=1]
    [*] WWDC2015 had lots of sessions (available on video) that demonstrate new features by showing/running code examples. In past WWDCs most of the code examples from the sessions were made available (warts and all). Not so for WWDC2015.
    [*] The developer forums where problems, bugs and work-arounds are discussed include few, if any, contributions by Apple Engineers -- many posts go unanswered for days or weeks. Very different from prior years where you usually would get at least one knowledgeable response within 24-48 hours.
    [/LIST]

This is particularly frustrating because, WWDC2015 introduced a lot of significant updates, including: Watch OS2, Swift 2, Home Kit enhancements, great new Map Kit functions ... to name a few ...

Many of the Developer docs (class definitions, etc.) have been updated with some errors) -- but most (all?) of the programming guides are obsolete -- Obj-C only, no mention of new features. no current sample code. etc.

If this is happing because of an excess of Public betas -- Apple is making a big mistake, IMO.

• Reply 2 of 4
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    I hope they fix the screen rotation bug that popped up on my ipad with the 8.4 update.
  • Reply 3 of 4

Is there anyway to backup the Health data right now? The last 2-3 times I reset and restored an iPhone from a backup, the Health data was lost.

Edit: It would be nice if Apple allowed Health data to be exported as well!

• Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Is there anyway to backup the Health data right now? The last 2-3 times I reset and restored an iPhone from a backup, the Health data was lost.

Edit: It would be nice if Apple allowed Health data to be exported as well!

I think you need to manually back up in iTunes and encrypt the backup to save the Health data.

I wish Apple let you export all your data from the iPhone: messages, notes, etc. as well as Health It's ridiculous that you can't export your own content.