Apple Pay adoption and usage rates suffer despite strong iPhone 6 sales, study finds

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    bat catbat cat Posts: 42member
    I find it really interesting that people cite security concerns. The additional security provided by Apple pay is one of the my main drivers for early adoption. Contactless cards are increasingly widespread in the UK and most people don't realise that they transmit the full card number, expiry date and cvv number unencrypted every time they are activated. With these details potentially compromised the £30 contact less limit is inconsequential as online purchases can be made or a clone card created. Apple pay completely removes this threat - I wish I / Apple could get this message through to people.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

You've gotta be kidding me and everyone else here.

Apple pay is mana from heaven for the banks !

Yes it costs them a small percentage but the security and reduction in theft and fraud will save them billions.

Apparently you don't have a clue about the security of electronic payments.  There is absolutely no improvement whatsoever in terms of security if one compares Apple Pay with a chip card based payment (EMV).  On the contrary, because there is an additional partner in the loop (Apple), one must assume that there is an increased exposure.

Of course in the US there are a lot a magstripe payments, so the security is indeed much better, but e.g. in Europe almost all card based payment are with a chip (the exceptions are mostly American visitors with magstripe only credit cards), so Apple Pay will have no impact on fraud in Europe

• Reply 63 of 140
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sociable Weaver View Post

Same here I really want to use and have tried at Costa and Pret who brag about it at the checkout but zero success.  I am obviously doing something very wrong as others here clearly are having a good experience.

Both of those shops - at least at the locations I have tried - have worked 100%. Tell the member of staff that you want to pay contactless, wait for the terminal to light up (during which time you can double click on your watch if you are using one) & then place watch/phone up against the terminal - if using phone, keep thumb over touchID sensor.

As an aside, when I used ApplePay in Boots, the shop assistant's face was a picture as she saw me use my watch to pay! She couldn't believe it was so simple to do.

Good luck!

• Reply 64 of 140
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

There is absolutely no improvement whatsoever in terms of security if one compares Apple Pay with a chip card based payment (EMV).

??

If I lose my contactless enabled card, anyone could use it simply by tapping against a contactless terminal without a PIN. They also have the full card number, expiry date & additional 3 digit security code on the signature strip in their possession.

If I lose my watch, they can't pay because ApplePay is disabled when the watch comes off my wrist & they cannot see any credit card details.

You class this as not being an improvement??

• Reply 65 of 140

Apple needs to reign in retailers that have poor Apple Pay implementations.  I've been frustrated too many times trying to use it where I try multiple times, employee has no idea why it doesn't work, then I go back to swiping (which works 100% of the time).  I'm determined to keep using it, but even I'm a bit weary when I try it and there's a long line behind me.  I finally got my wife to try it and the first time she did, it didn't work.  Took a long time to get her to try it again, but it's finally working for her and she's using it now.  My success with it is up to about 3 out of 4 times which is better.

• Reply 66 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    I used it twice today out of three purchases (including gas where it isn't accepted yet). I keep finding more places to use Apple Pay and I love not having to carry a wallet all the time.
    Except that you do still have to carry a wallet all the time. Too many places still can't use ApplePay. Sometimes terminals aren't working exactly like they should. Sometimes cashiers aren't handling it properly even when it's supposed to be available. IMHO your cards and cash are still needed for most casual shopping trips for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

The uptake with retailers is too slow

Home Depot use to accept it, now it does not. And it fails at least 75% of the time I try to use it at Panera across multiple locations. And Panera was a launch partner

Apple Pay needs some big wins. The pending MCX implosion should help

The issue with Panera is the fact the person at the register does not complete the transaction correctly. It is a user issue not the system, well it could be a system issue since the system allows the person at the cash register to complete the transaction incorrectly. When I go there one of three things happens, I put my watch or phone up to the POS terminal and it just works and the attendent hands me my receipt. The second thing is it works but the person make me sign the receipt which it acts like a normal CC transaction, which tell me they did something different which requires the signature. The third thing is the person screws it up so much that I am force to swipe the card since they can not seem to get the POS to accept payment from the phone. I go to the same place all the time and had all three things happen there. I even had the person say to me they never dealt with an ipay transaction so they not sure how to do it. I had to explain to them is not different than a CC transaction. This leads me to believe people thing ApplePay is like PayPal or something similar.

I personally have not see to many places accepting ApplePay around me. the few places which do they I always get comments how net it is that I can use my watch or phone to complete the transaction. It is obvious that not to many people are using it around me.

• Reply 68 of 140
    adyb wrote: »

Same here I really want to use and have tried at Costa and Pret who brag about it at the checkout but zero success.  I am obviously doing something very wrong as others here clearly are having a good experience.

Both of those shops - at least at the locations I have tried - have worked 100%. Tell the member of staff that you want to pay contactless, wait for the terminal to light up (during which time you can double click on your watch if you are using one) & then place watch/phone up against the terminal - if using phone, keep thumb over touchID sensor.

As an aside, when I used ApplePay in Boots, the shop assistant's face was a picture as she saw me use my watch to pay! She couldn't believe it was so simple to do.

Good luck!

Actually, you have to hold either your iPhone or your watch close to the terminal for it it to 'light up'. It does not do so by itself.

With the watch, it just goes through. With the iPhone, you have to place your thumb (or whichever finger you've put in as your identifier) against the home button. Just touch, DO NOT PRESS.
  • Reply 69 of 140
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

??

If I lose my contactless enabled card, anyone could use it simply by tapping against a contactless terminal without a PIN. They also have the full card number, expiry date & additional 3 digit security code on the signature strip in their possession.

If I lose my watch, they can't pay because ApplePay is disabled when the watch comes off my wrist & they cannot see any credit card details.

You class this as not being an improvement??

With a chipcard payment I mean a contact based payment, like it is happening now in Europe. 

Bear I mind that in a lot of Europeas countries one needs a chip card reader to do online credit card payments: card number, expiry date and CVC code are not sufficient.

• Reply 70 of 140
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I have yet to try it out simply because when I'm at a checkout, I need to get out fast and I have zero time to fiddle with trying to use it.  Gas stations, a totally different story.

I have tried it out and I can assure you that it's the quickest way to pay for anything ever.  In fact while you're in line you can actually pre-approve Apple Pay so that you simply have to wave the phone at the terminal and you're done.

• Reply 71 of 140
    Quote:

4) Regardless of your misplaced hate for Apple or Cook, Apple Pay has been a success, will continue to make strides, and everyone else will follow suit because it's the only way that makes sense going forward. Just take a look at the upcoming Android Pay.

Exactly.  It's so unsuccessful that competitors have not only ripped off the functionality but also the name.  Because they all want to be associated with an unsuccessful system.

• Reply 72 of 140
    igorsky wrote: »
    Exactly.  It's so unsuccessful that competitors have not only ripped off the functionality but also the name.
    "They" ripped off the name no more than Apple ripped off the name Apple Wallet. Silly.
  • Reply 73 of 140
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    Exactly.  It's so unsuccessful that competitors have not only ripped off the functionality but also the name.  Because they all want to be associated with an unsuccessful system.

No one ripped off any name as Apple Pay isn't the first *****Pay whatever you want to put in it.
  • Reply 74 of 140
    The problem, in my opinion, is with the retailers. In my experience, the retailer (employee) frequently does not know how to set their terminal up to receive an NFC/Apple Pay payment. I'm talking at the transaction level... The employee does not know which "button" to press to receive that NFC payment. So, I can choose to watch them fumble and wait to see if they can setup the transaction properly, or I can just pay with my debit card.

For example, Subway - one of the original rollout partners I believe - STILL struggles to set up the transaction properly to receive NFC. I have the location I visit most frequently trained pretty well, but other locations still try to default to their QR code thing to pay via their own mobile app when I say "Apple Pay". So now I just lie and tell them I'm paying with a credit card (which, on their terminal, also activates NFC), and use my phone. Even then, there have been a few times where they're quick on the draw when they see my phone and say "Wait!" and switch it to the Subway app setting. It's frustrating as hell when, as a customer, I have to tell you how to use your POS.

Other times, at other retailers (EXPRESS comes to mind) the terminal scans my phone just fine, but then prompts for a PIN number. Sometimes entering my debit card PIN works, other times it doesn't. In this scenario, I'm not sure who's to blame.

Regardless, I think Apple Pay is revolutionary and will eventually modernize the overall convenience and security of cashless transactions. But these banks and merchant/POS providers need to do a better job of documenting these features and training the end-users of these systems before it can truly be convenient for the customer. As it is now, it is almost always faster for me to swipe my debit card than take the risk of the clerk not knowing how to process Apple Pay and slowing up the line of customers behind me. Of course by NOT using Apple Pay in these situations, the clerks are not provided an opportunity to learn and get accustomed to processing those transactions, and the cycle continues.
  • Reply 74 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"They" ripped off the name no more than Apple ripped off the name Apple Wallet. Silly.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I didn't realize that 6 years after the release of iOS, Apple's use of the word "Wallet", which is also used in Google's floundering system, is the same as the introduction of Samsung Pay and Android Pay months after Apple Pay was announced.  

In fact I'm pretty sure that Google is happy that Apple is using "wallet", as now a whole bunch of people might realize that Google Wallet even exits.

• Reply 76 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

No one ripped off any name as Apple Pay isn't the first *****Pay whatever you want to put in it.

Right, because all the other instances of "***Pay" also refer to a mobile nfc-based payment system.

• Reply 77 of 140
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,501member

Yes I use ApplePay where I can, like Wegmans (Which I rarely visit), Home Depot (their NFC terminals do not always work), and Panera Bread. But the places where I need it the most do not even support NFC. Sometimes I have to point my phone at the terminal and wait to see if it supports NFC, I feel like I'm trying out a gimmick rather than reaching out for convenience. I still have to carry my cards with me and pay at 95% of merchants I visit; such as gas stations, dry cleaning, CVS (our local pharmacy), ALL restaurants, Giant, ethnic grocery stores, car wash, and car mechanics. I set up ApplePay for my wife and she only used it once, she doesn't care about having to wand her phone over a terminal to see if it picks up.

I am not surprised by the results of the survey, I hope there will somehow be a faster adoption rate of NFC terminals, and US restaurants will finally embrace wireless terminals like in Europe and the Middle East; but for the time being it is an inconvenience to use ApplePay especially for the common iPhone user.

• Reply 78 of 140
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I didn't realize that 6 years after the release of iOS, Apple's use of the word "Wallet", which is also used in Google's floundering system, is the same as the introduction of Samsung Pay and Android Pay months after Apple Pay was announced.  

In fact I'm pretty sure that Google is happy that Apple is using "wallet", as now a whole bunch of people might realize that Google Wallet even exits.

:rolleyes: If you're looking for petty issues it could be said Apple "stole" IMO the likely preferred name for Android Auto (CarPlay, GooglePlay) to prevent Google from using it. Yes, it's silly to claim anyone is "stealing" names, particularly something so obvious as "pay". There's literally thousands of trademarks using "pay". Put that in the search box here and have a look. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4809:11eq31.1.1
  • Reply 79 of 140
    Discover is the only card of mine that has not issued a chip-based card yet. They were also last aboard the Apple Pay train (by this Fall maybe?). I use Apple Pay whenever possible, though I forgot to out of habit last night at Whole Foods.

NFC terminals are still hard to find. I have never seen anyone, except myself, pay via NFC.

I've used it at: Whole Foods, Sprouts, Firehouse Subs... that's all.
  • Reply 80 of 140
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    gatorguy wrote: »

So why didn't they stick with Google Wallet? Do you think if Apple Pay was never announced that Google would have renamed and revamped there upcoming mobile payment system to mirror Apple Pay? I don't. Also note that Google Wallet existed before Apple ever announced Passbook, which at the time was for passes to be passed from apps and stored in Passbook with location and time allowing it to appear on the lock screen. Now, if Apple had called it Wallet back in 2012, the year after Google launched Google Wallet, I would say Apple absolutely is copying Google, but this happened many years later and after Passbook became much more Wallet-like. Finally, if Android Pay had nothing uncommon with Apple Pay except for the name it would be more difficult to say that Google coincidently is following Apple's lead but with the 180° turn from Google Wallet to Android Pay to match how Apple Pay works it's not reasonable to think it's all happenstance.