New iOS 9 public beta prompts users to install iCloud Drive app

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Apple's dedicated iCloud Drive iOS app for managing cloud assets, introduced with the first developer iOS 9 beta in June, is being advertised as ready to install on public beta builds released on Thursday.

When users taking part in Apple's iOS 9 public beta program install today's beta 3 software update, a pop-up prompt will ask them if they want to add a dedicated iCloud Drive app to the home screen. Previously, the app had to be manually activated in device Settings.

As seen above, iCloud Drive for iOS remains largely unchanged from prior app versions that first appeared in June. The feature can be thought of as a shortcut to a user's iCloud Drive assets stored in Apple's cloud, with full access to file and folder management, browsing and viewing. Data can also be deleted, copied and shared through iOS Share Sheets.

It appears iCloud Drive's search function is still limited to file names, but deeper integration could be on the way as Apple continues work on advanced iOS 9 search capabilities.

The latest iOS 9 beta builds came with other small improvements, including Wi-Fi calling for AT&T and a "Wi-Fi Assist" mode that automatically switches to cellular data if it determines a local network signal is too weak.

Apple is expected to launch a final version of iOS 9 this fall to coincide with the release of next-generation iPhone hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    I would call wifi calling as a major point, just saying.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    "The latest iOS 9 beta builds came with other small improvements, including Wi-Fi calling for AT&T and a "Wi-Fi Assist" mode that automatically switches to cellular data if it determines a local network signal is too weak."

Yes - this should be feasible as Apple Music switches seemlessly for me between wifi and cellular.
    Very impressed with this,btw. I suspected I would have to change manually as I went out of range. No break in the song, no lag.
    You need to have turned on Music in Settings>Cellular>scroll down to Music
    It takes a minute or two to switch back to wifi when coming off a cellular connection, though. Very good.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Why can't all the other utilities and limited use Apple apps do something like this?  I'm especially looking at you, Apple Watch app.

• Reply 4 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Cool. Been waiting for something like Wi-Fi Assist for years. Have the phone use the stronger signal... if that's what I want.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member

No it doesn't.

Source: I upgraded to Beta 3 earlier.

• Reply 6 of 17
    As someone who has an grandfathered unlimited MiFi staged in my work truck, the WiFi assist is long overdue.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

No it doesn't.

Yeah, my iPad didn't prompt me to do this. I already had the app on my iPhone.

• Reply 8 of 17
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    I'm excited about the Wifi feature! The wifi at my work is terrible and pretty much only works in the room with the router. This will save me the annoyance of constantly turning Wifi on and off.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    The prompt message for iCloud Drive does not appear on my phone! Based in France, would that be the reason?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

No it doesn't.

Nice post. We are talking about more than one feature here and even more than one version of iOS -- care to clarify "it" in your all encompassing "No it doesn't" ?

Thanx.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Nice post. We are talking about more than one feature here and even more than one version of iOS -- care to clarify "it" in your all encompassing "No it doesn't" ?

Thanx.

The headline, genius.

• Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Quote:

Thanx.

The headline, genius.

Who pissed in your Cheerios? It is not clear since the headline often is not reflective of the article (not just on AI). I didn't count but I thought there seemed to be as much interest in Wi-Fi Assist.

The sarcasm isn't really needed - the vitriol seems to be pretty high here without need.

Truly hope you have a nice day.

BTW: I think for those of that are developers Apple should consider adding a P to the end of the PB releases so when someone mentions version Beta 3 or Beta 2 it is clear which release they are talking about. 

• Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Who pissed in your Cheerios? It is not clear since the headline often is not reflective of the article (not just on AI). I didn't count but I thought there seemed to be as much interest in Wi-Fi Assist.

The sarcasm isn't really needed - the vitriol seems to be pretty high here without need.

BTW: I think for those of that are developers Apple should consider adding a P to the end of the PB releases so when someone mentions version Beta 3 or Beta 2 it is clear which release they are talking about. 

What? You came in with the sarcasm. If you want to be a smart ass you have to expect people to respond in kind.

As to your point, the article is substantially related to the headline. Wi-fi assist is mentioned only in the penultimate paragraph.

• Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

...What? You came in with the sarcasm. If you want to be a smart ass you have to expect people to respond in kind.

As to your point, the article is substantially related to the headline. Wi-fi assist is mentioned only in the penultimate paragraph.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanx.

The headline, genius.

Mea Culpa. It does seem that my 1st post started with a bit of sarcasm (knee jerk reaction to having been called 'genius' but no excuse to respond in kind.

Quote:

Quote:

What? You came in with the sarcasm. If you want to be a smart ass you have to expect people to respond in kind.

There are at least 3 references (in different posts) all which appear at the beginning of the comments -- certainly not penultimate.

Bye bye now.   8-) 

• Reply 16 of 17
    I got the iCloud Drive popup with the first public beta...
  • Reply 17 of 17
    The latest (3rd iOS 9 update) seems to drain the battery significantly on iPhone 5s. The reason seam to be apps open in the background even if for those app background refresh is turned off. Anybody else noticed the same problem?