Apple integrates online store with main website in major Apple.com redesign

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

Am I the only one who is sick of carousels? 

That being said the new site seems good enough.

• Reply 22 of 32
    baz1536baz1536 Posts: 29member
    My only annoying things about Apples site is that it doesn't automatically detect region when going in the store and choose the currency for your region. They should be able to do this.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    I wonder if they are using FoundationDB as the supporting db -- at least for the Apple Online Store functions.

A FoundationDB implementation would allow Apple to:
    [LIST=1]
    [*] add new products to the Online Store without taking it down
    [*] flip a switch and cutover to the new products in seconds
    [*] immediately scale to processing thousands (millions ?) of transactions per second
    [*] avoid the customer frustration of having to start over due to hangs, crashes and timeouts (losing any items already ordered)
    [/LIST]

This would be excellent for thinks like new iPhones, Apple Watch, etc. -- where there is a pent up demand.

The following video demonstrates the reliability of FoundationDB. In practice, for something like the Apple Online Store, there would be hundreds of clusters spread across different locations.

[VIDEO]

• Reply 24 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    baz1536 wrote: »
    My only annoying things about Apples site is that it doesn't automatically detect region when going in the store and choose the currency for your region. They should be able to do this.

Then people could complain that "Apple is tracking my location!"
  • Reply 25 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Someone please tell me what are "organic buying opportunities"? Last I checked this story was about Apple, not Whole Foods.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Someone please tell me what are "organic buying opportunities"? Last I checked this story was about Apple, not Whole Foods.

Impulse buying. 

• Reply 27 of 32

One interesting thing is that I didn't see AppleTV under any of the main tabs at the top of the screen (even if you drill down into the pages for Mac, iPhone, etc.). There is a link for it at the bottom of the page, but nothing up at the top.

• Reply 28 of 32
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

Usually when you are buying an Apple product, you are looking into just one major item, (Macbook Pro, for example).

This makes it quicker and simpler to just buy it when you are looking at the MBP page. Before, you would leave the MBP page, go to the store, find the MBP again and buy there. If you had more questions about features, you'd go back to the feature page and then have to go back to the store again.

While it's not a major inconvenience, it still has more clicks, and on average, the more clicks needed to get to the purchase, the more likely they do not complete the transaction.

• Reply 29 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

Usually when you are buying an Apple product, you are looking into just one major item, (Macbook Pro, for example).

This makes it quicker and simpler to just buy it when you are looking at the MBP page. Before, you would leave the MBP page, go to the store, find the MBP again and buy there. If you had more questions about features, you'd go back to the feature page and then have to go back to the store again.

While it's not a major inconvenience, it still has more clicks, and on average, the more clicks needed to get to the purchase, the more likely they do not complete the transaction.

But according to trolls like TWF, this change is automatically bad.. just because. We have yet to hear all his magical reasons, but it probably has to do with the fact that Cook is gay. 

• Reply 30 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Impulse buying. 

Then why not just use that far more common term?
  • Reply 31 of 32
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Then why not just use that far more common term?

Yea - there's some weird PC spin going on in language at the moment.

Eg. They're putting a new car park in my town. People have been parking on the road kerb. Fair enough they need to something about it, it is dangerous.
    But are they going to ticket the offenders once the carpark is complete ?
    No, they are going to "Incentivise" them. wtf ? weird
  • Reply 32 of 32
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Eh...I don't think I like this. Apple.com should be about more than selling you more product.

(Though with the way they've been purging support articles that may no longer be the case, so thanks Angela!)

Does this mean the entire site will have to go down when events happen?

That little silhouette of a shopping bag over on the right of the menu bar is hardly some over the top "selling" presence from my point of view... nor are the little additional silhouettes when I've chosen a product category I want to to learn more about. As soon as I scroll down to the information both disappear.