Apple's Back to School sale goes online, gains new countries

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Apple on Thursday extended its annual Back to School sale, which offers students and educators free Beats Solo2 hardware, to cover online purchases, while expanding availability to a clutch of European countries.




Online availability of Apple's Back to School sale was announced in an advertisement posted to the company's homepage. The accompanying link points to brief explainer page detailing the offer, as well as options to purchase Macs and iPads through Apple's Education Store.

Announced at the end of July, this year's Back to School promotion gives students and teachers a free pair of Beats Solo2 headphones with the purchase of select Mac hardware. The headphones are valued at $200 and come on top of savings offered through Apple's educational discount program. As previously noted, customers can pay an extra $100 to upgrade to a pair of Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones.

In addition to bringing Back to School 2015 online, Apple rolled out the promotion to a few countries in Europe. The sale is scheduled to end on Sept. 18.

The Back to School update comes as part of a major Apple.com website revamp conducted earlier today that merged the Online Apple Store with the company's main website. By integrating its retail and research websites, Apple gives customers a seamless product browsing experience enhanced with organic buying opportunities.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member
    Why not Korea??
  • Reply 2 of 13
    pilopilo Posts: 4member
    Waiting here in Argentina... (at least open one official Apple Store)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Gonna be even more headphones showing up on eBay now.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Wow. Awful move by Apple. When is a Back To School Sale no sale at all?

    So misguided. A set of headphones valued at $200, even one actually worth $200 in audio value, isn't on 95% of students' want list.

    Just wow.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,154member
    jlandd wrote: »
    Wow. Awful move by Apple. When is a Back To School Sale no sale at all?

    So misguided. A set of headphones valued at $200, even one actually worth $200 in audio value, isn't on 95% of students' want list.

    Just wow.

    Oh yeah? It isn't? You have some research to back up that 95% statement? Please, enlighten us.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh yeah? It isn't? You have some research to back up that 95% statement? Please, enlighten us.
    I have to agree with him. When I was a student, tuition and housing and food were on my buy list. A cheap windows machine also was, which soon was a dual boot Linux machine. A Mac would have been had I had the money or the experience (over the years of studies, early investment in a Mac would have been a better bet).

    Definitely, expensive sound systems weren't on the radar. People who can't see that this is true for most students live in a rarefied sphere of inherited money, and good for them to be wealthy, but sadly when they open their mouth in the press, they can be seen as disconnected. I'm thinking of a few politicians in particular, born rich, who in the USA, UK and France have over the last ten years stated quite unequivocally their minds over this...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post



    Wow. Awful move by Apple. When is a Back To School Sale no sale at all?



    So misguided. A set of headphones valued at $200, even one actually worth $200 in audio value, isn't on 95% of students' want list.



    Just wow.




    Oh yeah? It isn't? You have some research to back up that 95% statement? Please, enlighten us.

     

    Doesn't require research.  My own opinion is based on the army of friends of my 22 and 17 year old daughters.  It's all earbuds. I walk NYC streets and ride the subway twice daily.  $200 headphones aren't much worn by people looking to save $200 on a new Mac.  Those are practically mutually exclusive groups.

     

    There are reams of $50 to $100 headphones available, which from what I see are what students with non-buds mostly have.  

  • Reply 8 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,197member
    jlandd wrote: »
    Doesn't require research.  My own opinion is based on the army of friends of my 22 and 17 year old daughters.  It's all earbuds. I walk NYC streets and ride the subway twice daily.  $200 headphones aren't much worn by people looking to save $200 on a new Mac.  Those are practically mutually exclusive groups.

    There are reams of $50 to $100 headphones available, which from what I see are what students with non-buds mostly have.  

    New York is hardly a proxy for the rest of the United States.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,095moderator
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post





    I have to agree with him. When I was a student, tuition and housing and food were on my buy list. A cheap windows machine also was, which soon was a dual boot Linux machine. A Mac would have been had I had the money or the experience (over the years of studies, early investment in a Mac would have been a better bet).



    Definitely, expensive sound systems weren't on the radar. People who can't see that this is true for most students live in a rarefied sphere of inherited money, and good for them to be wealthy, but sadly when they open their mouth in the press, they can be seen as disconnected. I'm thinking of a few politicians in particular, born rich, who in the USA, UK and France have over the last ten years stated quite unequivocally their minds over this...



    You have to think different.  Think of it this way: Apple has one of the richest troves of market data, they know exactly who their customer is in this context, and that may well mean that their market is the student who has tuition, housing, and food already well covered.  Apple has never needed the entire market; it'll do well if there are sufficient numbers of consumers who meet the profile for the deal its offering.  And apple knows better than you or I just how many of those consumers exist and what percentage are likely to go for their offer.  Also, the company can always come out with another deal for students as the summer back-to-school season progresses.  Never lead with your best offer.

  • Reply 10 of 13
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

     



    You have to think different.  Think of it this way: Apple has one of the richest troves of market data, they know exactly who their customer is in this context, and that may well mean that their market is the student who has tuition, housing, and food already well covered.  Apple has never needed the entire market; it'll do well if there are sufficient numbers of consumers who meet the profile for the deal its offering.  And apple knows better than you or I just how many of those consumers exist and what percentage are likely to go for their offer.  Also, the company can always come out with another deal for students as the summer back-to-school season progresses.  Never lead with your best offer.




    I stand corrected. This obviously makes perfect sense, in light of Apple's approach to market, and is a wise business decision indeed.

  • Reply 11 of 13
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    jlandd wrote: »
    Doesn't require research.  My own opinion is based on the army of friends of my 22 and 17 year old daughters.  It's all earbuds. I walk NYC streets and ride the subway twice daily.  $200 headphones aren't much worn by people looking to save $200 on a new Mac.  Those are practically mutually exclusive groups.

    There are reams of $50 to $100 headphones available, which from what I see are what students with non-buds mostly have.  

    New York is hardly a proxy for the rest of the United States.

    Sure, but it could also be argued that it's as good as anywhere for a random, cursory observation, though it obviously doesn't represent Spokane or Gainesville. No one's claiming their surroundings are a perfect gauge for anything more than opinion.

    Well, go out in your town and make notes and report back what you find. Even though NYC Is not Spokane do you really think that negates the opinion that the student targeted in a. Back To School Sale is not likely to be the one who puts value on Beats headphones being the deal sweetener?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,308member
    I have to agree with him. When I was a student, tuition and housing and food were on my buy list. A cheap windows machine also was, which soon was a dual boot Linux machine. A Mac would have been had I had the money or the experience (over the years of studies, early investment in a Mac would have been a better bet).

    Definitely, expensive sound systems weren't on the radar. People who can't see that this is true for most students live in a rarefied sphere of inherited money, and good for them to be wealthy, but sadly when they open their mouth in the press, they can be seen as disconnected. I'm thinking of a few politicians in particular, born rich, who in the USA, UK and France have over the last ten years stated quite unequivocally their minds over this...

    Actually I willingly starved as a student so I could have my cool Hi Fi system in my flat in Jesmond. Well, not for long as I worked night shift at the Newcastle railway mail bag department for the Christmas holidays several years running actually and every summer holiday I worked on anything from farms to BR census taking. Between my guitar and Hi Fi and girl friends being a Newcastle Uni student was a blast, a loud one thanks to The Eagles and Led Zeppelin :) Computers for the masses were still a few years off though .... That Apple ][ was not until 1978 for me.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    Actually I willingly starved as a student so I could have my cool Hi Fi system in my flat in Jesmond. Well, not for long as I worked night shift at the Newcastle railway mail bag department for the Christmas holidays several years running actually and every summer holiday I worked on anything from farms to BR census taking. Between my guitar and Hi Fi and girl friends being a Newcastle Uni student was a blast, a loud one thanks to The Eagles and Led Zeppelin image Computers for the masses were still a few years off though .... That Apple ][ was not until 1978 for me.

    Raises two questions...

    1- when did you find time to actually study

    2- how much did you pay for your tuition

     

    It is my understanding that the latter has exploded in the last few years, starting about when I was a student (on a scholarship, was lucky).

    I doubt many students nowadays could afford expensive hifi, roof, food and tuition even on nightshift jobs and summer jobs... and it kind of scares me. Almost as much as the students whose family pay happily whatever has to be paid, shielding them from the realities of life...

Sign In or Register to comment.