Apple expected to unveil 'iPhone 6s,' new Apple TV on Sept. 9

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    pmcd wrote: »
    I agree but what makes you think Apple has the mindset or capability of encouraging a precise stylus as an input device, given its long history of being opposed to them?
    I think it will happen at some point. And I think that if they'll make a stylus it'll definitely gonna be one with style. It's in their DNA to go up on stage and say "we noticed that there has been tremendous amount of art and hand writing being produced on the iPad, even though it's not officially supporting a stylus. So it's our time to give you all the best tool for precision input. Our stylus is 10x more precise than there are pixels on screen, and with the API you've got access to this precision. And since the protective glass is so incredibly thin the stylus is essentially touching the canvas. We've managed to bring latency down to just 1ms. So man, you can be precise, and it feels just right. When looking at the competition it kinda just gets a little sad, so let's just give them a moment to catch up.."

Well... Perhaps not those precise words, but yeah.. I truly hope they'll enter stylus support with a boom.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I agree but what makes you think Apple has the mindset or capability of encouraging a precise stylus as an input device, given its long history of being opposed to them?

Apple is not opposed to using a stylus. Jobs (Apple) was opposed to any device (phone or tablet) that REQUIRED a stylus to be operated.

There's a key difference. An iPad Pro with multi-touch for operation that ALSO accepted stylus input for certain graphic related software would be a great idea. And as mentioned above, would KILL the Wacom Cintiq.

• Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I don't understand your comment. When does Apple add 4K content and 4K output? AFTER everyone has a 4K set? If that's the case then we would't even have 720p. What do you mean by "gymnastics"? It's all very straightforward stuff.

I think they add 4K support in the device when they have enough content to add to their store. While bandwidth may have been an issue in their delaying putting 1080p content in their store initially (and bandwidth limitations definitely haven't gone away entirely), it actually wasn't until their store offered 1080p content that they released the ATV 3rd gen with 1080p support. It seems to me that only when they stuff their store with content do they turn on the support in their devices, so I would not assume we will see any 4K support in an Apple TV until there is adequate content available to put in any store. Given the lack of much 4K content at this point, this isn't something I expect to see them support in functionality in this version.

• Reply 64 of 83
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I think they add 4K support in the device when they have enough content to add to their store. While bandwidth may have been an issue in their delaying putting 1080p content in their store initially (and bandwidth limitations definitely haven't gone away entirely), it actually wasn't until their store offered 1080p content that they released the ATV 3rd gen with 1080p support. It seems to me that o</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">nly when they stuff their store with content do they turn on the support in their devices, so I would not assume we will see any 4K support in an Apple TV until there is adequate content available to put in any store. Given the lack of much 4K content at this point, this isn't something I expect to see them support in functionality in this version.</span>

4K UHD can come to iTS with the flip of a switch. I expect that to also be done with HEVC/H.265 (and possibly with other encodes getting the H.265 option).

But you can't offer H.265 content there are devices that can handle the decoding. We know the iPhones and iPads from 2015 can handle H.265 for FaceTime if both ends have that 2015 device, so hopefully full, advertised support will come to that HW, the new Apple TV, and to iTS content next month.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

…UHD…

Never mind that their portable hardware can’t handle it yet.

• Reply 66 of 83
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    balken07 wrote: »
    It's far more logical to think about september 8 as the keynote date. It's a tuesday. Last year (september 9) was a tuesday, and 2013 keynote was held on september 10. This was also a tuesday
    Except this year Monday is a national holiday. Takes an extra day after Labor Day to prepare the stage. So Wednesday does make the most sense.

I'll be upgrading from 128GB 6 Plus to 128GB 6S Plus, 128GB Cell iPad Air 2 to 128GB Cell iPad Air 3, 128GB Cell iPad mini 2 to 128GB Cell iPad mini 4, ?tv 3 to ?tv 4. No interest in a maxi Pad.????
  • Reply 67 of 83
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    True but then I'd be spending money on something with no future.
    4S still has a future. Last 3.5" retina and runs iOS 9. So it's the smallest iOS 9 device. Should get a premium resale price if you replace the battery which only costs less than $75.

Sorry, I misremembered you have a 4S instead of your 4. But it will run iOS 7.1.2 which is still pretty good.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

I fail to understand your point. They introduced 720p and 1080p to the iTS before all devices could handle the content so why would expect them to now wait until all devices can handle 4K UHD before allowing any playback on an Apple TV or 2016 iPad or iPhone that has H.265 and can handle 2160p content?
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

I really need a new iPad though.  I'm still using an iPad 3.  

You definitely need a new iPad then. Compared to the heaviest-of-all-3, the iPad Air is a breath of... fresh Air. ;)

• Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:

I fail to understand your point. They introduced 720p and 1080p to the iTS before all devices could handle the content so why would expect them to now wait until all devices can handle 4K UHD before allowing any playback on an Apple TV or 2016 iPad or iPhone that has H.265 and can handle 2160p content?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Current A8-based iPhones and iPads can play 4K content. This is not a theoretical, it is fact.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/21/exclusive-the-iphone-6s-a8-chip-can-play-4k-video/

• Reply 71 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

…why would expect them to now wait until all devices can handle 4K UHD…

Continued wishful thinking on my part, I guess, expecting Apple to actually, finally unify their ‘modern’ hardware’s capabilities. 

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Current A8-based iPhones and iPads can play 4K content. This is not a theoretical, it is fact.

Huh! I could’ve sworn that Soli ran the bitrates early on in the process and found that it couldn’t. Maybe Apple just allowed for some processing overhead that this utility decides to use.

• Reply 72 of 83
    I am interested whether touchpad remote will feature Force Touch as well.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Of the people that own a 6 or 6 plus, do you think you'll be going for the 6s variant or better to wait for the 7?

If my iPhone 6 lasts as long as my 4 (not 4s) did, I expect to hold on to it for quite a while, short of some "must have" feature.  The two main reasons I upgraded from my 4 were AT&T's Next program, and the fact that my battery wasn't holding a charge.  Yes, I could have replaced the battery (and did, before I sold it), but the 6 had some other features I found interesting, if not in the "must have or die" category.

• Reply 74 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

We haven't seen any AppleTV leaks because every device since the second generation model has been identical in shape, so if anyone is building it, they would only have seen a change in part numbers.

The last two models were identical.

What I expect is some announcement regarding h.265 support and 4k/5k/8k decoding ability in the next version of the device, and possibly Apple getting the drop on cable co's UHD support by having curated versions of HBO UHD or something to that idea. Because it will be a decade before UHD finds its way into the home otherwise. I actually expect to see 8K Netflix before I see 8K VOD from the cable co's , they they'd to upgrade their internet connections to GiGe and replace all the existing hardware. Apple tends to be closer to bleeding edge "standards" even if not everyone hops on their backed standard.

Don't expect 4K video to play any part in the next AppleTV.

There is no 4K content, every home still has a 1080p TV, and its just a big bag of expensive hurt. More bandwidth, more cost, more everything.

People are satisfied with 1080p in the living room. The pain point is not visual quality, the pain point is accessibility, availability, and discovery of content. The pain point is UI navigation and playing the thing you want to watch.

On the hardware side, AppleTV still needs to gain 802.11ac and a faster chip for improving AirPlay performance. One of the best features that really falls down in the performance end of things.

• Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frantisek View Post

I am interested whether touchpad remote will feature Force Touch as well.

I guess that depends on what use it would have in navigating the UI.

The way I interpret the 'touch pad remote', is that Apple wants to bring some of the feel/function of the Remote app to the included remote control device. And if the remote can activate Siri/Dictation as well, it helps fill the void of the keyboard.

I think very wisely they are going for an included remote that has ways of doing what 3 different input devices would do separately.

• Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I wonder if they'll have two models...keeping the existing AppleTV priced at $69 and a more advanced and pricier version in the $199 range.

With Chromecast available for $39, I'd love to see Apple competitively price two models at $49 and $99.

There is no reason for it to ever go past $99. There is also no reason for them to maintain 2 models. These aren't iPhones. The hardware doesn't matter, and the last thing they need are "hardware options" for users. Without an internal storage model, there is no reason for it.

I fully expect the new AppleTV to replace the current at $69.

***The only exception to this could be if Apple were to go all out with becoming a console for gaming. They may want Metal games written for the living room, and which point more advanced hardware would be considered and possibly even tiered pricing for models with x amount of storage.

• Reply 77 of 83
    pmcd wrote: »
    You never know but DVR capabilities seems like a return to the past. Certainly they wouldn't add local DVR capabilities with an attached hard drive.Perhaps a cloud based capability but even then ...
    M

In what way is being able to record live over the air broadcasts obsolete or outdated? I don't use a VCR and there are almost no available solutions that solve this.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

M

In what way is being able to record live over the air broadcasts obsolete or outdated? I don't use a VCR and there are almost no available solutions that solve this.

I think what he means is that the availability of digital copies of episodes has definitely made fewer people doing the recording themselves.

• Reply 79 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I fully expect the new AppleTV to replace the current at $69.

It is an interesting situation. If Apple was going to maintain two different models they normally would have lowered the price of the existing model when they released the new model, like they do with iPhones, but in this case they lowered the price quite awhile before the release of the new model.

Although I don't know much about the use of Apple TV to control HomeKit, it was mentioned somewhere that you would have to be logged into your Apple ID on both the iPhone and the Apple TV to manage devices remotely. If this is the case, many households would need multiple Apple TVs so that more than one family member could remotely operate HomeKit devices. For that reason, I agree, they need to sell them for $69 not $99+ regardless of what other features they offer, such as 4K.

• Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is an interesting situation. If Apple was going to maintain two different models they normally would have lowered the price of the existing model when they released the new model, like they do with iPhones, but in this case they lowered the price quite awhile before the release of the new model.

What I wonder is why the rush to lower the price? If they felt a new version was a £69 product, why not introduce it when they launch the new product as a new product feature? Perhaps they wanted a bunch of new users as quick as possible to help with network/content suppliers in new channel/feature negotiations, or perhaps they wanted to clear out some existing stock of ATV 3s before launching the new product?

What I think is very likely is that they'll either introduce the new version at the old price of £99 for the new model (claiming the £99 price point is warranted for the new features, perhaps even keeping the existing model as *base*), or they'll introduce a new *base* model at £69 and offer a more expensive model in one or two higher price tiers.

If they plan to put more focus on the product, then introducing tiers makes sense, especially if the App Store *finally* (yay!!!!) comes into fruition. Can't wait to find out, but we've been disappointed so many times in the past with rumours of a new ATV, I'm not holding my breath (much longer<grin>).