New video gives clearer look at display assembly purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 6s'

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
With Apple expected to unveil its next-generation iPhone in less than a month, parts leaks continue to plague the company's massive supply chain, as a display assembly supposedly headed for the updated handset has been examined in detail in a new video.

The assembly in the video is superficially identical to parts that have shown up from China in recent weeks, with a slightly different configuration than the iPhone 6 but a similar overall design. According to European repair firm MacManiack, which acquired the assembly from a supplier, the dimensions are identical to the iPhone 6 version.

The locations of the FaceTime camera and proximity sensor also mirror the current model, but the ribbon connectors have been slightly altered. Additionally, the shielding on the back of the LCD is glued into place, another variation from the iPhone 6.

Apple has apparently chosen to integrate the home button --?and accompanying Touch ID sensor --?with the LCD and digitizer connectors, possibly in a bid to save space or make assembly simpler. The firm believes that a new connector on the display assembly's rear points to Force Touch, but this is conjecture and other rumors have painted different pictures of that connector's purpose.

Apple is expected to announce the new iPhone, alongside an updated Apple TV, at an event on Sept. 9. Technological improvements headed for the so-called "iPhone 6s" likely include a new A9 processor, Force Touch, and an expansion to 2 gigabytes of onboard RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Plagued? No, I don't think so. Actually, the extent of leaks is somewhat less than usual. No real news on whether and what's coming with iPads or AppleTV. A few parts leaks with iPhone, which is not a big deal, since we know the form factor does not change.

As an aside, I truly wish Apple would go back to putting the on/off button on top. Sigh.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Oh horrors! It's slightly THICKER; about two tenths of a millimeter! Apple is DOOMED!
  • Reply 3 of 17

"As an aside, I truly wish Apple would go back to putting the on/off button on top. Sigh."

I don't. I'm glad it's on the side for the 6/6+. It's so much easier to use considering the size of these phones. 

• Reply 4 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    deegee48 wrote: »
    Oh horrors! It's slightly THICKER; about two tenths of a millimeter! Apple is DOOMED!

This is all because Ive has moved onto a different role. No one will buy it now it's 0.2mm thicker, since that's all anyone anywhere cares about, same reason the iMacs have to be as thin as possible. No wonder Apple's shares are sliding. /s
    I don't. I'm glad it's on the side for the 6/6+. It's so much easier to use considering the size of these phones. 

I much prefer it on the top too. When trying to change the volume I turn off the phone half the time.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    So, I guess for an iPhone 6 user, there is no point to upgrade. Hopefully they'll add something else, if they could waterproof to 10 feet, it would make it awesome when you jump in the pool, and forget to take the phone out.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    "As an aside, I truly wish Apple would go back to putting the on/off button on top. Sigh."

You might wish to see how much your forefinger extends when you hold the phone.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    elijahg wrote: »

I much prefer it on the top too. When trying to change the volume I turn off the phone half the time.

Not only that, it's a pain when you want to use the Vol+ button as a camera shutter button (for a steadier picture): there are times when I accidentally turn the phone off just as I am ready to get the perfect shot!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As an aside, I truly wish Apple would go back to putting the on/off button on top. Sigh.

You own one of these, right?  Snap a lot of pics in landscape using the volume button?  This was one of the design decisions that made an upgrade somewhat less compelling for me last year.

EDIT: Just saw your response to Elijahg above...

• Reply 9 of 17
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Keep Sleep on the side. It makes the top edge seamless when it unexpectedly begins to sprinkle, and it's easier to hit.

I too hit the Sleep button by accident when changing the volume... occasionally... during the first week. Rarely anymore. And the phone smartly ignores the Sleep button when you do that, so the annoyance is extremely minimal.

I don't know how anyone can accidentally sleep the phone while clicking a volume-shutter. I try it and the photo gets taken every time, with the extra button-press ignored. Are you sure that really happens, or just assuming it might? Or is it something Apple quietly improved?

And for steadiest pics:

- WORST: tap the screen hard and jerk the device (if anyone does this, thank goodness for the image stabilization!)

- MIDDLE : click a volume button and jerk the device (feels nice if you like a physical click, I'll grant you)

- BEST: tap the screen gently (this takes FAR less force/movement than the volume buttons; the traditional camera click feel is mising, but you get an audio shutter anyway)
  • Reply 10 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Can Apple implement force touch with their current LCD screens or might these new phones be OLED? I wonder if the new wallpapers, most of which have black backgrounds are a hint?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Ugh, not to be that guy, but to those who are complaining of the sleep button relocating to the east side:

You're holding it wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Keep Sleep on the side. It makes the top edge seamless when it unexpectedly begins to sprinkle, and it's easier to hit.

I too hit the Sleep button by accident when changing the volume... occasionally... during the first week. Rarely anymore. And the phone smartly ignores the Sleep button when you do that, so the annoyance is extremely minimal.

I don't know how anyone can accidentally sleep the phone while clicking a volume-shutter. I try it and the photo gets taken every time, with the extra button-press ignored. Are you sure that really happens, or just assuming it might? Or is it something Apple quietly improved?

And for steadiest pics:

- WORST: tap the screen hard and jerk the device (if anyone does this, thank goodness for the image stabilization!)

- MIDDLE : click a volume button and jerk the device (feels nice if you like a physical click, I'll grant you)

- BEST: tap the screen gently (this takes FAR less force/movement than the volume buttons; the traditional camera click feel is mising, but you get an audio shutter anyway)

BESTEST: Use the volume buttons on the earphone remote no movement at all can even keep your hand in your pocket when its cold ;-)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Can Apple implement force touch with their current LCD screens or might these new phones be OLED? I wonder if the new wallpapers, most of which have black backgrounds are a hint?

I doubt Apple will switch to OLED until it's got a colour spectrum thats on a par with LCD, since they do pride themselves on the colour accuracy and gamut.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

And for steadiest pics:

-Best: Put your finger on the screen button and slide it off. Like most UI controls since the dawn of the GUI, the button activates when it is released.

• Reply 15 of 17
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

-Best: Put your finger on the screen button and slide it off. Like most UI controls since the dawn of the GUI, the button activates when it is released.

Everyone should be taking burst shots anyway and taking advantage of all the AI onboard to detect the best picture, so pressing and holding the software shutter button makes the most amount of sense.

• Reply 16 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Plagued? No, I don't think so. Actually, the extent of leaks is somewhat less than usual. No real news on whether and what's coming with iPads or AppleTV. A few parts leaks with iPhone, which is not a big deal, since we know the form factor does not change.

I kinda wish it was back on top too. I sometimes accidentally hit it while taking pics. It's right where my thumb is while holding the camera horizontally. I usually prefer using the volume buttons to trigger the shutter. Much steadier.

• Reply 17 of 17

Awesome, I like the Red!!:) who knows what's there?