Updated Apple diversity numbers show growth in hires of black, female, and Hispanic workers

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ Don't see any need when my post immediately and obviously follows the one I'm responding to.  If you want to be the cause of excessive irritating scrolling through extraneous text, be my guest.

• Reply 102 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crowley wrote: »
    ^ Don't see any need when my post immediately and obviously follows the one I'm responding to.  If you want to be the cause of excessive irritating scrolling through extraneous text, be my guest.

Not everyone comes back to the thread to see if anything else was written in reply to their comment. There could also be a comment posted before yours, so who exactly you're replying to can get confusing to the readers. You don't have to quote them but at least mention them so they get the notification.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    ^ not really a great concern to me.

I don't see notifications when people reply to me and I don't particularly want to either.
  • Reply 104 of 112
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Whether people like to admit it or not, we all have biases. Many biases come from experience. "Well so and so was this race and was not an ideal employee. Maybe I should be more skeptical of hiring someone similar." Even though you can't generalize, we do fall back to a gut feeling.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

well since all of Apple's diversity programme so far has been an internal affair then he's barking up the wrong tree.

Or, again, you can’t understand what is being said. I don’t know the name of the policy that Airstrip One has in regard to affirmative action, but we have laws regarding forced hiring here.

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I don't see notifications when people reply to me and I don't particularly want to either.

Oh, you can wipe those. They’re annoying as all get out. Under ‘Preferences’ on your user page:

• Reply 106 of 112
    Or, again, you can’t understand what is being said. I don’t know the name of the policy that Airstrip One has in regard to affirmative action, but we have laws regarding forced hiring here.

What affirmative action legislation applies to Apple in the U.S.?
    Oh, you can wipe those. They’re annoying as all get out. Under ‘Preferences’ on your user page:

I'm not sure what "annoying as all get out" is supposed to mean, but thanks for the useful tip on wiping things that I already said I don't see. Alternatively, maybe you should try reading and understanding what I said more closely.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What affirmative action legislation applies to Apple in the U.S.?

I’d imagine the legislation that applies to any company.

• Reply 108 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d imagine the legislation that applies to any company.

So none then?

• Reply 109 of 112

So none then?

Yes. Yes, because no countries have affirmative action laws. Right.

:no:

• Reply 110 of 112
    Quote:

Yes. Yes, because no countries have affirmative action laws. Right.

:no:

What are you talking about? What do other countries have to do with anything, we're talking about the USA?

The question is, does the US have any affirmative action laws that specifically are "forcing" Apple to "adopt racist diversity policies" (from SpamSandwich's original post)?

The answer is no, so the original post (by SpamSandwich) was moot.

Congratulations on a spectacularly pointless tangent.

• Reply 111 of 112

...any affirmative action laws that specifically...

All affirmative action laws do this.

• Reply 112 of 112
    Quote:

All affirmative action laws do this.

All affirmative actions laws force Apple to change their hiring policies?

No they don't.  Affirmative actions laws will probably apply to civil employment, not private employment.  There aren't actually many "affirmative action laws" anyway, affirmative action usually comes from internal policy, not law.

Name a single affirmative action law in the USA that has any impact on Apple whatsoever.