First Belgian Apple Store could open in Brussels on Sept. 19

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Apple's first-ever Belgian store will reportedly open in Brussels on Saturday, Sept. 19, potentially just in time for the release of new iPhones and a new Apple TV.

The store will be located on the Gulden-Vlieslaan, a prominent thoroughfare in the city, according to a document provided to Apple Nieuws Vlaanderen on Monday. The company is operating locally under the name Apple Retail Belgium.

A storefront on the street has been surrounded by a black construction facade for some time. It still has no official markings, but Apple typically uses black facades and often doesn't make any announcements about an outlet until the week of its grand opening.

Though the timing could be coincidental, the Brussels store is due to launch just 10 days after a rumored press event on Sept. 9. The event is expected to showcase new iPhones, a new Apple TV, and possibly even new iPads, some or all of which could go on sale in time to be highlighted in Brussels.

If new iPhones appeared there however it would mark a significant change, since Belgium has never been an iPhone launch region. Locals have either had to wait or buy a device from neighboring countries France and Germany, which have long been first-tier launch regions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    We have been waiting for so long, it's about time and I'm really happy about that :)
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I always find it ironic that Apple has it's only remaining manufacturing facilities here in Ireland and uses Ireland to huge advantage to minimise taxes for most of it's sales outside the US and yet there is no Apple Store in the country.

• Reply 3 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Mmmmm.  Apple and waffles.

• Reply 4 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I always find it ironic that Apple has it's only remaining manufacturing facilities here in Ireland and uses Ireland to huge advantage to minimise taxes for most of it's sales outside the US and yet there is no Apple Store in the country.

Mutually exclusive. Deciding where to open a store is completely different process than determining where to make stuff and seek tax benefits. Things like population density, average income, suitable real estate etc. are what drives that.

• Reply 5 of 16
    Still no Apple Store in Austria either...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Mmmmm.  Apple and waffles.

I've always seen it referred to as Belgium Waffles when it should be Belgian Waffles which BTW don't exist anywhere in Belgium, kinda like English muffins :lol:
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cnocbui wrote: »

Do you want to see an Apple Store in Ireland or are you just taking a cheap shot at Apple?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    It's population size in this case. GNP per capita is higher in Ireland than in Belgium.

They're running down from large to small. Belgium has ten million people in it. Ireland has 4.6. Similar incomes, but the larger population comes first.

Ireland and New Zealand are virtually the same in population. Ireland has a larger economy but New Zealand is more remote. New Zealand doesn't have an Apple Store either. Either does Norway which has the same population and is richer than both of them.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Do you want to see an Apple Store in Ireland or are you just taking a cheap shot at Apple?

I'd like to see a store here.

• Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

I'd like to see a store here.

Go to an Apple Premium Reseller and add long lines. Same experience.

• Reply 11 of 16
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I've always seen it referred to as Belgium Waffles when it should be Belgian Waffles which BTW don't exist anywhere in Belgium, kinda like English muffins :lol:

I don't know where you get your info from, cause I'm Belgian, and eventhough they're not Belgium waffles indeed, there ARE Belgian waffles all over the WHOLE. DAMN. COUNTRY! Ever heard of Liege waffles or Brussels waffles? They're the most famous kinds, and they're everywhere, all you gotta do is look around! My question to you is: have you ever set a foot on Belgian soil?!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    guiguihip wrote: »
    I don't know where you get your info from, cause I'm Belgian, and eventhough they're not Belgium waffles indeed, there ARE Belgian waffles all over the WHOLE. DAMN. COUNTRY! Ever heard of Liege waffles or Brussels waffles? They're the most famous kinds, and they're everywhere, all you gotta do is look around! My question to you is: have you ever set a foot on Belgian soil?!

Good to know. Been there several times on business but never thought to ask lol. Do you get the maple syrup from Canada or grow your own maple trees?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes. At the same time Brussels is the siege of the UE and NATO, but also a lot of foreign companies including a lot of American ones have offices here, so an Apple Store is needed for all these foreigners that can't just go in a premium reseller where it can take months to get the device fixed... So it's definitely about time :)
    as another Belgian fella said the Belgian waffles exist in Belgium. They are called Liege waffles because of the city Liege (though the real ones made here are so much better, I dare you to try one of you ever have the chance to come around for work or leisure). The Brussels waffles are also quite famous here (I prefer them, lighter on the stomach and more crunchy).

Anyway, great news for us. Yay.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lymf View Post

Quote:

Yes. At the same time Brussels is the siege of the UE and NATO, but also a lot of foreign companies including a lot of American ones have offices here, so an Apple Store is needed for all these foreigners that can't just go in a premium reseller where it can take months to get the device fixed... So it's definitely about time image
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I've always seen it referred to as Belgium Waffles when it should be Belgian Waffles which BTW don't exist anywhere in Belgium, kinda like English muffins image

as another Belgian fella said the Belgian waffles exist in Belgium. They are called Liege waffles because of the city Liege (though the real ones made here are so much better, I dare you to try one of you ever have the chance to come around for work or leisure). The Brussels waffles are also quite famous here (I prefer them, lighter on the stomach and more crunchy).

Anyway, great news for us. Yay.

Knock it off, you guys. You're making me hungry.

• Reply 15 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    guiguihip wrote: »

You kinda proved my point.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

My only recollection of 'muffin' in the UK was the old saw about 'muffin the mule' protests from the NSPCA. :D