Sprint's new 'iPhone Forever' plan charges monthly fee for automatic device upgrades

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
U.S. carrier Sprint on Monday launched "iPhone Forever," a monthly fee plan designed to ensure a subscriber always has the latest iPhone model, available for a limited time at a discounted price.

The plan typically costs an extra $22 per month on top of service fees, Sprint said, but makes someone eligible to upgrade to a new iPhone the moment it's released, after also trading in a previous model. Both new and existing Sprint subscribers can sign up, but the latter people must already be upgrade-eligible.

For a short time, Sprint is offering a discounted fee of $15 per month for eligible customers willing to trade in any existing smartphone for a 16-gigabyte iPhone 6. People who then upgrade to another iPhone before Dec. 31 will be able to keep the $15 rate until their next upgrade.

If a person is already in a contract with another carrier, the company is promising to pay off the older device.

The announcement comes just a few weeks before Apple's rumored September 9 press event. There the company is expected to showcase at least two new phones, commonly referred to as the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. It could also potentially introduce a lower-cost "iPhone 6c," though if so the device may have the same specifications as the iPhone 6 in a smaller package.

All four major U.S. carriers have begun venturing away from contracts in favor of installment or upgrade programs. Sprint claims that its iPhone offering is at least $20 less per month than equivalents at competitors, although this assumes customers are picking a high-end data plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

Damn, if Sprint's network was just as good in my area as Verizon, I'd jump in a heartbeat.

• Reply 2 of 17
    Is "Forever" the new "Unlimited"? Like, until Sprint decides it isn't "Forever"?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    schlackschlack Posts: 721member
    if ATT would offer always current gen iPhone plan for $15 I'd sign up immediately. For $22 it would be a harder sell. And there would of course need to be the option to get a 64GB/128GB phone without a major jump in price.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Even with iCloud and faster LTE I'd have to see what larger capacity devices deals were. 16 GB hasn't been for me in a very long time.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,070member
    at&t colludes--intimately--with the nsa. just might be a consideration for some folks.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but, but, but, the end of subsidies will hurt iPhone sales....

How so? You're still buying a new phone every year. I would that increases sales considering two year contracts allow you to buy a phone ever other year. I'm also sure it's still subsidized since $22 * 12months = $264/year. Less than the cost of an unlocked phone, but given that you have to return the phone, I'm sure it factors in resale value.

• Reply 7 of 17
    One of these big-four providers would grab a big chunk of the market if they offered rollover data like AT&T used to offer rollover minutes.
  • Reply 8 of 17

Gimmicky subsidies. Creative financing. Hidden leases. Unlimited service with limits.

I'm all for getting rid of all of it - just let me pay full price for a new phone when I'm ready and sell me metered service. Of course, that would be fair and simple and the carriers wouldn't make as much money.

• Reply 9 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    crhain88 wrote: »
    How so? You're still buying a new phone every year. I would that increases sales considering two year contracts allow you to buy a phone ever other year. I'm also sure it's still subsidized since $22 * 12months = $264/year. Less than the cost of an unlocked phone, but given that you have to return the phone, I'm sure it factors in resale value.
    This is actually not that bad from Sprint to decide the residue of your 1-year old phone close to $400. Just like anything else, first year depreciation is the most. I wouldn't give up my phone in a year. For 2 years the phone value will probably be at least 50% and that's time to trade in for maximum value.
  • Reply 10 of 17

2 Degrees here in NZ already does this for $10 NZD (or about $6.57 USD) a month and $120 (NZD) at time of upgrade (so about $13.14 USD a month total).

https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/help-and-support/personal/mobile/products-and-services/trade-up

• Reply 11 of 17
    Rollover data? Look at T-Mobile. Yet another reason they win for me.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I had Sprint, and no matter what they offer, I would never go back. Their service is third world, both in coverage and customer service. They also charged me over $800 when I cancelled my service for three phones, although the phones were all three plus years old. They explained that I didn't cancel during their contract window. However, I do wish them luck in fishing for new customers. I am sure they will catch a few suckers.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    sog35 wrote: »
    how much do you get for a 2 year old phone?  I only could get $240 from Apple when I tried to trade in my 5S when the 6 just came out.  I bought it for $750.  I decided just to keep it.

I sold my 16 GB 4s for $350 on eBay when the 5s had been out for 2 weeks. I keep all the original packaging/parts and put it all back together. My phone was in like new condition, except maybe the battery.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mac_dog wrote: »
    at&t colludes--intimately--with the nsa. just might be a consideration for some folks.

While true, all phone service providers can easily be compelled to cooperate in secret, and they are regularly.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Don't fall for it. Sprint's connectivity is lack lustre at best unless you're near a subway station. Their phones are also sim-locked and Sprint won't do an IMEI unlock for you. This has serious consequences when you travel outside the U.S., such as basically bricking your phone. Even paying for international data service is useless with a Sprint phone. Try T-Mobile instead, and buy your phone outright.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    ekb55ekb55 Posts: 1member

T-Mobile's coverage is absolutely the worse. Period.  Even Sprint kicks their butt in the DC Baltimore area.  Been there, tried that.