Parents on a budget turning to certified used iPhones & iPads this back-to-school season

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nope.

Gazelle selling price for an excellent condition iPhone 5S AT&T 16 GB is $369

Gazelle buying price is $175

Overhead cost $50

Profit $144

Profit margin 40%

Ridiculously higher than Apples 22% profit margin

Funny you use the good condition selling price yet used the excellent condition buying price.

Funny you began with $409... which clearly came out of your rectum.  You didn't bother to look.

Funny that you compare Gazelle's margin on phones to the margin of Apple's entire company, which is highly objectionable.  I understand that you don't think Gazelle should end up with the same margin as Apple has in its iPhone segment, and I am inclined to agree, but it is indeed that number that we should use for said comparison.  If you want to say Gazelle's should be lower by some certain amount, then fine.  But don't use the 22%.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You are confusing GROSS margin with PROFIT margin.  iPhone gross margin is about 50% but profit margin is about 25%.

iPhone could be greater than 28% profit margin but maybe not.  They are definitely not even close to 40% though.

I am not confusing anything.   There you go pulling specific numbers (like 25%) out of your rectum again.  I think the net profit is much higher than that for the iPhones and much lower than that for the combination of everything else.  

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Gazelle is in NO RISK of selling iPhones for less than they buy them for.  They are buying iPhone6 for $325.  No way they won't be able to sell them for less than $325 once the 6s comes out..

You missed my point again Sog, but that is no surprise.  I'm saying that after the 6S launch Gazelle will most likely have to ask less for any used  iPhone they sell than whatever they are currently asking when they sell the same phone, which means we have probably used the wrong number in our calculations of their net profit above.

• Reply 62 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    thompr wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

Nope.

Gazelle selling price for an excellent condition iPhone 5S AT
    Funny you began with $409... which clearly came out of your rectum.  You didn't bother to look.

Funny that you compare Gazelle's margin on phones to the margin of Apple's entire company, which is highly objectionable.  I understand that you don't think Gazelle should end up with the same margin as Apple has in its iPhone segment, and I am inclined to agree, but it is indeed that number that we should use for said comparison.  If you want to say Gazelle's should be lower by some certain amount, then fine.  But don't use the 22%.

You are confusing GROSS margin with PROFIT margin.  iPhone gross margin is about 50% but profit margin is about 25%.

iPhone could be greater than 28% profit margin but maybe not.  They are definitely not even close to 40% though.
    I am not confusing anything.   There you go pulling specific numbers (like 25%) out of your rectum again.  I think the net profit is much higher than that for the iPhones and much lower than that for the combination of everything else.  

Gazelle is in NO RISK of selling iPhones for less than they buy them for.  They are buying iPhone6 for $325.  No way they won't be able to sell them for less than $325 once the 6s comes out..

You missed my point again Sog, but that is no surprise.  I'm saying that after the 6S launch Gazelle will most likely have to ask less for any used  iPhone they sell than whatever they are currently asking when they sell the same phone, which means we have probably used the wrong number in our calculations of their net profit above.

I got a great vid of sog35.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    Would it be better to buy a refurbished item from Apple or a certified preowned from Gazelle? Does one offer a better warranty then the other?

I'll be in the market for a iPad Air 2 soon.

Apple most definitely Apple. Around the same cost plus 12 months Waranty vs 30 day limited Waranty w/Gazelle