Apple issues 7th OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta to developers, 5th public beta to testers

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2015
Apple on Wednesday released the seventh beta version of its upcoming OS X 10.11 El Capitan operating system to developers for testing, while at the same time pushing out a fifth beta to those participating in the public beta program.

Today's developer beta build comes over two weeks after Apple issued its most recent El Capitan version with a batch of bug fixes. The latest build is thought to contain additional performance enhancements and tweaks.

The fifth public beta build initially went out yesterday, but was quickly pulled for unknown reasons.

With a rumored iPhone event coming up in September, Apple is likely finished with major feature additions and is putting the final touches on El Capitan before public release. While not a dramatic upgrade over Yosemite, El Capitan will add niceties like Split View, enhanced Mission Control and performance improvements.

Developers can download the seventh El Capitan beta via Apple's Developer Portal or the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    3 d/l's of public beta 5 in progress from App Store and all 3 hung at exactly 763MB?
  • Reply 2 of 8

2.4GB. This must be a pretty big update compared to the other betas.

• Reply 3 of 8
    now all progressing...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

2.4GB. This must be a pretty big update compared to the other betas.

The last few have all been about 2GB for me... (15in rMBP) 

I have had random pinwheels/total system freeze for 20 second incidents on Beta 6 which never happened before so hoping that's solved here in 7. 

EDIT: So far so good. much smoother and fluid than 6 for me. longer install time - felt like a full install rather than an update. X in about this mac is now colored....has to be getting pretty close to GM. 

• Reply 5 of 8
    Where's the iOS and Xcode updates ...

I want some new Swift stuff!
  • Reply 6 of 8

Did PB 5 get pulled again? 

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor_Mac View Post

Did PB 5 get pulled again? 

No. It's still there, though this update seemed to have some issues installing everything. It went through the update process 3 times before it actually finished, for me, without any notices saying "some updates couldn't be installed..." or something like that. 

• Reply 8 of 8
    imatimat Posts: 208member

Downloaded and installed it. Still showing up in app store. Downloaded and installed it. Still showing up in app store.

And this has not been written twice erroneously. The install was successful on both instances. Yet it still shows up in app store...